What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Moral story - mother finds her child beautiful

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Akshara (last edited Apr 26, 2018 04:31AM) (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 40 comments I am looking for a kids' short moral story.

Something about the queen looking for the prettiest baby in the kingdom. She hates on one of the candidates, but the mother retaliates (maybe?).

Moral of the story was something about a mother's love.

Please reply, asap!

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5054 comments Was this a picture book or chapter book?
Any illustrations?
How many years ago did you read this?
Anything about the cover?

message 3: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 40 comments It isn't a book, it's a short story (within 200 words, maybe?)
... I don't even remember if I read it in a book or a magazine or somewhere else.
I read it more than 6 years back.

message 4: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 186 comments This may be too short, and it’s a long shot since it has a chimpanzee. There is an Aesop’s fable called Jupiter and the monkey. The chimpanzee mom presents her baby to Jupiter as the most beautiful and everyone laughs at her. The moral of the story was “A mother’s love is blind”

message 5: by Akshara (last edited Apr 26, 2018 05:16AM) (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 40 comments I think this is the story I was looking for! Or a modified version of the same?

Man, I thought there was some plot twist that makes everyone realise that every child is beautiful. Or something. This is kind of a lame ending :D

Thank you!

message 6: by Kris (last edited Apr 26, 2018 08:01AM) (new)

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
Here's one version of Aesop's "Jupiter and the Monkey" from Gutenberg.org. As Ebookworm2016 mentioned, it's very short.

"Jupiter issued a proclamation to all the beasts of the forest, and promised a royal reward to the one whose offspring should be deemed the handsomest. The Monkey came with the rest, and presented, with all a mother's tenderness, a flat-nosed, hairless, ill-featured young Monkey as a candidate for the promised reward. A general laugh saluted her on the presentation of her son. She resolutely said: "I know not whether Jupiter will allot the prize to my son; but this I do know, that he is the dearest, handsomest, and most beautiful of all who are here."

A mother's love blinds her to many imperfections."

message 7: by Akshara (new)

Akshara (aksh_ashk) | 40 comments Thank you for the original, Kris! :)

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36622 comments Mod
You're welcome. Is Aesop's tale of "Jupiter and the Monkey" the one you're looking for? If not, is your short story very similar to Aesop's?

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40681 comments Mod
Akshara, are you still looking for this or did you find it?