Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Fahrenheight 451 | 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments First - I was going to listen to the audio book - read by Tim Robbins. But he was terrible. He was really murdering the book. It was my first experience of a ‘star’ reading. Yuck. I really wanted to slap him for the cockiness in the way he read. The women were especially insulting
Then I actually read it myself
It’s a good book
It was originally a short story and I think that even though it came after WWII and communism, it’s actually talking more about tv dumbing us down and not about government totalitarian.
It reminded me something in the mood of the movie Brazil at the start. Some sort of horrible futuristic nightmare.
And later on it becomes an awesome action packed. The moment all of the citizens are suppose to open their doors was seriously stressing me out.

It’s also written beautifully.
It has interesting ideas (although also some preachy monologues that I could have lived without.

Very well worth reading

Random cool quotes
“I remember the newspapers dying like huge moths”
“And what does the word quality mean? To me it means texture. This book has pores. It has features. This book can go under the microscope. You'd find life under the glass...”

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Though I did not like this book or Bradbury in general, I like the quote you put, especially after reading a book about the search of quality.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7480 comments I like this book, but it's so true that not all actors do books justice. Donald Sutherland, an actor I think has talent, butchered the one book I listened to him narrate. He's not the only poor narrator I've listened to, of course.

message 4: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Maybe it’s those big personalities that are not humble enough to let the book (rather than their voice and overly dramatic interpretations) take centre stage

A bull in a china store

I used to like Donald Sutherland since MASH the movie, but on my Buffy-fan days I heard Joss Whedon describe how Sutherland butchered Giles’ role in the movie and he sounded horrible