Book Loving Kiwis discussion

General > Man Booker Prize 2014 Long List

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1568 comments The first Man Booker prize to admit novels from across the globe, as long as they are written in English, has published its longlist of 13 books by four Americans, six Britons, two Irish writers and one Australian. A shortlist of six titles will be announced on 9 September. The winning novel will be revealed on October 14.

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler The Blazing World by Siri Hustvedt J by Howard Jacobson The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell The Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee Us by David Nicholls The Dog by Joseph O'Neill Orfeo by Richard Powers How To Be Both by Ali Smith History of the Rain by Niall Williams

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica | 893 comments Mod
Thanks for posting this Ella's Gran. No doubt these will all go on my tbr shelf haha

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 893 comments Mod
Oooh I see the Shortlist is up now too...
To Rise Again at a Decent Hour by Joshua Ferris
The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler J by Howard Jacobson
The Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee
How to be both by Ali Smith

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane I really enjoyed We are all completely beside ourselves, but don't know much about any of the others. The one by the Austalian (can't i

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Doh... It posted mid sentence...! I can't recall the Australian title or author, but it looks more interesting than the others. Has anyone else read any of the short list?

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie (julzstokes) | 6 comments I've read both We Are Completely Beside Ourselves and The Wake this year. The lady who runs the book club that I belong to chose We Are Completely Beside Ourselves as the book of the month for May - I found it a little strange and convoluted. I picked the Wake myself to read and really enjoyed it - pity it didn't make the shortlist though.

message 7: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1641 comments Sigh, more books to add to the mountain.

I will grab them as they come into the library.