We Read Stuff discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Apr 24, 2018 09:08PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Team 1 Discussion and Tracking Thread

How This Challenge Works

Each month teams will be challenged to read books that fall into the genre or theme of the month AND spell out the following with either the author first or last name, title, series title, or a main character’s name:

1. What the Genre is that month
2. The names of the authors of our books of the month
3. The titles of the books of the month

Points are earned for the following:

- 25 points per book read for a letter
- 100 points when name, title, or the genre is spelled out completely

Team Members
Lola
NOOR
Jenny

message 2: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Jul 01, 2018 12:21AM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Current month layout

S
C
I

F
I
----------
C
I
N
D
E
R
----------
M
A
R
I
S
S
A

M
E
Y
E
R
----------
T
H
E

P
R
O
X
I
M
I
T
Y

O
F

S
T
A
R
S
----------
B
E
N
E
D
I
C
T

S
T
U
A
R
T

Future Months:

August
(view spoiler)

September
(view spoiler)

October
(view spoiler)

November
(view spoiler)

Completion Post Template:

Date Completed:
Used For: (which letter for which word)
How it works: (put the name or title that you are using for that letter)
Link to review: (You don't have to actually write a review you can just link to the review page that shows it was read if you just rated it or just marked it read)

message 3: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Apr 24, 2018 09:03PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) The letter layout for May will be updated as soon as the poll closes. You are free to post and plan. Remember books must both fit the genre of that month and also have been completed in that month to count for a letter.

Don't forget to keep up with your points throughout the month :D

message 4: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Hey y'all!! I was wondering what our team name should be!!
I was thinking maybe something with dragons, because they are feirce creatures and would be a great mascot!!
Anyway, be sure to let me know so I can change our name from "Team 1"
Thanks!! :)

message 5: by Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (last edited Apr 29, 2018 06:07PM) (new)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I have the letter spreads up there for easy copy and paste. However you want to keep up with what letters have been done is up to you. :) If you have any questions throughout the challenge post them in the same thread I had sign up so I make sure I see them. Also remember all books for these May letters must fall under the paranormal category in some way.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Hi team,
I am Jenny, and now that my first Goodreads challenge is ending, I am looking forward to a new one.
I have no problem with using dragon in our team name- I just reread the first Pern book.
Anyway, I plan to do what I can for our team, even if we are starting with a category that is not my favorite, I'm sure there are some books on my to read list that will work.

Should we send friend requests to each other?

Off to look through my shelves for May books. Kay Hooper and Stephen King, here I come.

message 7: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi team,
I am Jenny, and now that my first Goodreads challenge is ending, I am looking forward to a new one.
I have no problem with using dragon in our team name- I just reread the first Pern book..."

I think the friend requests is a good idea!!
For the team name, the other person on the team, Noor, is also fine with "dragon". We can all put out ideas and then decide on one together!!

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Happy May Day!
How do you guys want to work this? Should we list what we are reading or just post when we are done? Also, I am coming up blank on a cool dragon name, so I am fine with "The Dragons" or anything that either of you like better.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Is "The Dragons" the final decision? Just let me know and I'll get it changed for yall :)

message 10: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Noor and I both think that's absolutely fine!! We couldn't think of anything, either!! So yeah, "The Dragons!!" sounds good!!

message 11: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments And Jenny, maybe both? Either idea works for me!!

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Just to help with ideas for y’all. If you are having trouble finding books the Goodreads genre page and the lists are great. Here is the description again from the genre page of paranormal. Paranormal doesn’t have to be horror or spooky :)

Paranormal books involve unusual experiences that lack a scientific explanation. Some popular subjects in paranormal books are supernatural creatures, ESP, clairvoyance, ghosts, UFOs, telepathy, and psychics.

A subgenre of paranormal books and of romances is paranormal romance. These books focus mainly on the romantic relationships with a background theme of vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, time travel, fantastical beings, and psychic abilities.

message 13: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments So with the letters from the author, book title, etc, are we using them to spell out the name of the category for that month?
Example: Say, the theme was fantasy. We read Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life. We used the name "James Patterson." We could use the "A" in "James Patterson" for fantasy?
How many letters per book?
Sorry, I'm just a little confused....

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Lola wrote: "So with the letters from the author, book title, etc, are we using them to spell out the name of the category for that month?
Example: Say, the theme was fantasy. We read Middle School: The Worst Y..."

No worries. For an authors name you can use the first letter of either their first or last name as one of the letters for the month. James Patterson could be used for either a J or a P. The things you to spell out every month are the category, and the titles and authors for each of our books of the month. That’s where I was saying in the sign up posts the points up for grabs can vary each month depending on how long those are. This month has a lot because the picture of Dorian Gray is a long title and each letter remember gives you 25 points :)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) You can also use the first letter of the title or the first letter of the series name if it works.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Ok, lets see if I get this. The letters spelled out are from the month's genre, and the names and authors of the two "books of the month" for that genre.
We can read any book that falls under paranormal in some way, and if the title, MC, or author's name begins with one of the spelled out letters, than we get 25 points for the book. So, were we to cover all of the letters this month, (there are 64 if I counted right), then we would get 1600 points for the letters, plus 500 points for finishing "paranormal", "Stephen King", "Pet Sematary", "Oscar Wilde", and "The Picture of Dorian Gray".
So If one book counts towards one letter, then this month there are 64 books to cover in order to finish. Am I getting this right?
Also is there any advantage to reading the books of the month- other than that they are good books?

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) sounds like you got it right :)

I didnt really think of any particular bonus for the actual books of the month. They can be used so in a way they are kinda a hey here are two that will for sure work for a letter each.

Also you don't have to finish all 5 words to get the bonus points. It's not all or nothing. Each time you get one done you get the bonus 100 points. Just that there is a potential for up to 500 bonus for completing all of them.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I have a question for participants in the main info/sign up thread :)

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Thanks.

Hmm,. three people on a team, so 21 1/3 books per member this month. No problem! Lola, NOOR, get on that.

Of course I started listening to the book An Unkindness of Ghosts today, and it isn't really paranormal, but sci-fi. Oh well. It had been on my to read list for a while, and I got sucked in by the title. My next one will fit the challenge.

message 20: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments I will be SURE to get readin'!! Wow, that's a LOT of books!!

Are we allowed to do audiobooks? Just a thought, because they're technically books, but you listen to them; not read.

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Audiobooks count

message 22: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Cool, thanks!!

message 23: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Hey y'all. Just a random thought that came to me while I was on here. When we read books and use them for letters, how 'bout we try and work one word at a time? I mean, if we do it that way, we won't have a bunch of unfinished words at the end with random letters scrambled. Let me know what you think!!
{sorry if you have no idea what I'm saying, grammar is not one of the gifts I really have!! lol}

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Don't worry, you made perfect sense. That sounds good to me.

I should be finishing a couple books that won't work for this challenge today or tomorrow, and then I will start on something paranormal. I actually found quite a few on my shelves that should work.
I will post here what I start reading.

message 25: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments I just started reading Wild Seed (Patternmaster, #1) by Octavia E. Butler
Wild Seed by Octavia Butler.
It is not listed a paranormal, but the main character is a shapeshifter, so I hope it counts.

message 26: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Cool!! It probably does, so, yay!!

message 27: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Okay, so I just finished Ms. Perigrine's Home For Peculiar Children.
I think that counts...
Anyway, what word and what letter do we want this to count as?
And how many points do we get from it?

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Why don't we start at the beginning, and use "paranormal". Maybe choose what letter you want, but list what else could work for this word- or another.

message 29: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments I think for the book I read, we could use the "p" for "paranormal"?

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Sure. P for the character Peregrine. Works for me.

message 31: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments KK!! That's now 25 points!!

message 32: by NOOR (new)

NOOR | 4 comments I read Ms. Perigrine's Home For Peculiar Children. I will count that as the "M" in "Paranormal".

I also read Hollow City. That can count as a different word I guess.

I also read Library of Souls. That can count as the "L" in "Paranormal".

message 33: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments NOOR wrote: "I read Ms. Perigrine's Home For Peculiar Children. I will count that as the "M" in "Paranormal".

I also read Hollow City. That can count as a different word I guess.

I also read Library of Souls...."

Noor,
What is the author's name? Will it, or a main character's name work for a letter in paranormal?

message 34: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Also, is one of us supposed to be keeping track of this? If so, how?

message 35: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments I'm keeping track because I'm pretty sure I'm the team captain. Well, at least I said I would be when we signed up.

Ms. Peregrine's Home, Library of Souls, and Hollow City are all the same author, Ransom Riggs.

For Noor, we can use Ms. Peregrin's Home will be used for M, Library of Souls for L, and Ransom Riggs, the author, for R. All in the word "Paranormal"

message 36: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Here is what we have so far:

P Ms Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children 25 points
A
R Ransom Riggs 25 points
A
N
O
R
M Ms Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children 25 points
A
L Library Of Souls 25 points

Total Points: 100

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Glad you are keeping track. Hope to add something to the list soon.

message 38: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Yeet!!

message 39: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Yeet!!

message 40: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Completed Wild Seed (Patternmaster, #1) by Octavia E. Butler
Wild Seed by Octavia Butler

Finished May 7.
Use for O- Octavia
(could also be used for A- character Anyanwu, W- title, D- character Doro)

review page- https://www.goodreads.com/review/edit...

message 41: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Cool, thanks!! I guess we can use that for the "O" because O might be a harder letter than "a".

message 42: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Works for me!

message 43: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Completion!
A Dirty Job (Grim Reaper, #1) by Christopher Moore
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

Finished May 9.
Works as paranormal as book contains death merchants, morrigans, harpies, soul puppets, and other weird things.

Works for A- character Audrey, also works for M- author, and L- character Lily.

message 44: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments We'll use it for an "A"!! Thank you!! That book looks good, so thanks for that, also!!

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments If you have not read Christopher Moore, get ready to become an addict. This is a good one to start with, but really any would do. If you like fun characters, great writing and gut-busting hilarity, please give his books a try. OK, advertisement done.

message 46: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Ha!! I will be sure to try and find it!!

message 47: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments Completion!
Secondhand Souls (Grim Reaper, #2) by Christopher Moore
Secondhand Souls by Christopher Moore

Finished May 11.

Works as paranormal- sequel to A Dirty Job

Can use for A- character Asher or R- character Rivera

message 48: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Wow! You read quickly!! We can use it for the "A"!
I also read Gwendy's Button Box, and we can use it for the "R" for the character Richard Ferris!!

message 49: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Here is an update on our total letters and points!!

P Ms Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children 25 points {Lola}
A Audrey {A Dirty Job} 25 points {Jenny}
R Ransom Riggs {Author} {Hollow City} 25 points {Noor}
A Asher {Secondhand Souls} 25 points {Jenny}
N
O Octavia {Wild Seed} 25 points {Jenny}
R Richard Ferris {Gwendy's Button Box} 25 points {Lola}
M Ms Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children 25 points {Noor}
A
L Library Of Souls 25 points {Noor}

Total Points: 200

Sorry if it's a little messy, it shows up differently on this then on the thing I'm using!! I'll try to send a neater one!!

message 50: by Lola (new)

Lola | 74 comments Here's the link to the version I'm using!! Let me know if it doesn't work!!

Here!!

« previous 1 3