Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Arcana Rising (The Arcana Chronicles, #4)
This topic is about Arcana Rising
Archived: BOM/SGOM > Arcana Rising (The Arcana Chronicles #4) by Kresley Cole [Start Date: April 26, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Apr 24, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Arcana Rising by Kresley Cole

Losses mount and deadly new threats converge in this next action-packed tale of the Arcana Chronicles by #1 New York Times bestselling author Kresley Cole.

When the battle is done . . .
The Emperor unleashes hell and annihilates an army, jeopardizing the future of mankind--but Circe strikes back. The epic clash between them devastates the Arcana world and nearly kills Evie, separating her from her allies.

And all hope is lost . . .
With Aric missing and no sign that Jack and Selena escaped Richter's reach, Evie turns more and more to the darkness lurking inside her. Two Arcana emerge as game changers: one who could be her salvation, the other her worst nightmare.

Vengeance becomes everything.
To take on Richter, Evie must reunite with Death and mend their broken bond. But as she learns more about her role in the future--and her chilling past--will she become a monster like the Emperor? Or can Evie and her allies rise up from Richter's ashes, stronger than ever before? (

message 2: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m in.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Me too

message 4: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments How long before you finish your other book Gisela?

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Apr 26, 2018 02:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'm going to start reading but I won't read much tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to visit my cousin after work and won't read at all probably.

message 6: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 5
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m done with my other book. I’ll probably catch up buy tomorrow. (My tomorrow)

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I stopped in the middle of chapter 9 or 10. I don't think I'll read more today.

message 9: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Chapter 9 or 10
(view spoiler)

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Omg chaptee 12

message 11: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 2 (view spoiler)

message 12: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I’m so over the Jack drama!

message 13: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2018 09:34AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 5..."

I agree, she’s completely obsessed! She’ll probably have to kill Tess to go so far back.

message 14: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2018 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 9 (view spoiler)

message 15: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Chapter 9 or 10

I can't decide if Sol is bad or good, he's definitely grey. but is he going betray her to the Emperor? he doesn't have any royalties to her but still..."

I’d say he is light grey...

message 16: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 11 - that was ominous!

message 17: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 13 -(view spoiler)

message 18: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch.19 (view spoiler)

message 19: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "I’m so over the Jack drama!"

Gah me too.

message 20: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2018 02:22PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Ch. 9 [spoilers removed]"

It was a surprise for me too.
With the way it's going I think she'll choose Jack if he showed up right now. But I think when he comes back things might have changed and Aric would have a chance. I really hope he's dead!lol

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments End of chapter 19

The grandmother is creepy! Why did she teach her to speak Cajun. I find this very curious.
I wonder what she told Aric in her delirium while they were riding toward home. Whatever it was I think it had given him hope but now that she's healed she can't remember it.
Where are Gabe and Joules?

message 22: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "End of chapter 19

The grandmother is creepy! Why did she teach her to speak Cajun. I find this very curious.
I wonder what she told Aric in her delirium while they were riding toward home. Whatev..."

All good questions! Right now I think Aric deserves better than Evie. I too wonder what she said...

message 23: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Also the ribbon tells me that’s she’ll get back with SJ.

message 24: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I just realized we don't have anything for breakfast because we forgot to go grocery shopping yesterday :D
I was going to say I'll read after breakfast but as there's no breakfast, I'll just keep reading! Heehee

message 25: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Which chapter are yiu on?

message 26: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 21

message 27: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Evie and her creepy grandma are talking.

message 28: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments ShoSho wrote: "I was going to say I'll read after breakfast but as there's no breakfast, I'll just keep reading! Heehee ..."

**gigglesnort**

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Evie and her creepy grandma are talking."

The Hunter.... oh well we knew it was coming!

message 30: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Phoenix (Online Elf) wrote: "ShoSho wrote: "I was going to say I'll read after breakfast but as there's no breakfast, I'll just keep reading! Heehee ..."

**gigglesnort**"

;)

message 31: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 31 is hard to read!

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2018 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments “The Major Arcana”

0. The Fool, Gamekeeper of Old (Matthew)
I. The Magician, Master of Illusions (Finneas)
II. The Priestess, Ruler of the Deep (Circe)
III. The Empress, Our Lady of Thorns (Evie)
IV. The Emperor, Stone Overlord (Richter)
V. The Hierophant, He of the Dark Rites (Guthrie)
VI. The Lovers, Duke & Duchess Most Perverse (Vincent and Violet)
VII. The Centurion, Wicked Champion (Kentarch)
VIII. Strength, Mistress of Fauna (Lark)
IX. The Hermit, Master of Alchemy (Arthur)
X. Fortune, Lady of Chance (Zara)
XI. The Fury, She Who Harrows (Spite)
XII. The Hanged Man, Our Lord Uncanny (Redacted)
XIII. Death, the Endless Knight (Aric)
XIV. Temperance, Collectress of Sins (Calanthe)
XV. The Devil, Foul Desecrator (Ogen)
XVI. The Tower, Lord of Lightning (Joules)
XVII. The Star, Arcane Navigator (Stellan)
XVIII. The Moon, Bringer of Doubt (Selena)
XIX. The Sun, Hail the Glorious Illuminator (Sol)
XX. Judgment, the Archangel (Gabriel)
XXI. The World, This Unearthly One (Tess)

message 33: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 32 (view spoiler)

message 34: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 32 (view spoiler)

message 35: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I stopped after finishing chapter 24. Went grocery shopping and Macdonalds(eeal healthy ) for breakfast . I'll get back to reading in a few hours.

message 36: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments There are a lot of similarities between this book and B2...

message 37: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "There are a lot of similarities between this book and B2..."

With how she interacts with Aric?

message 38: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I I'm on chapter 28

message 39: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Gisela wrote: "There are a lot of similarities between this book and B2..."

With how she interacts with Aric?"

In general, she thinks Jack is dead, she’s inside Aric’s castle, she strikes up a friendship with another girl, she keeps wavering between Aric and memories of Jack, stuff like that.

message 40: by ShoSho , Moderator (last edited Apr 27, 2018 10:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Ah got it! And you're right.

I'm thinking the big bad guy is Matthew! And our guess about the 3rd person who had killed the empress was correct.

message 41: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Ch. 31 is hard to read!

[spoilers removed]"

I'm with you on this!
I just want to shaje Evie and tell her You've already chosen. What do you want from him? Either leave him be or convince him that he's the one for you. Poor Aric

message 42: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Gisela wrote: "Ch. 32 [spoilers removed]"

Omg I hope it doesn't happen but I'm sure it will!

message 43: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments That "God Almighty " in chapter 35

I read that with Robert Petkof voice in my head!

message 44: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments LOL me too! :D

message 45: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I didn’t like that she thought about Jack at that moment. It’s clear that their relationship is unbalanced, he is 100% in but she’s only 50%. She’s only thinking of how she would feel if she lost him, she’s not thinking that it isn’t fair to him that she’s using him to numb the pain of losing Jack. I swear if she runs away from Aric again to go be with Jack I’m going to scream! She promised she would take care with his heart this time but we know she’ll drop everything and run to Jack when she realizes he’s alive.

message 46: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments ShoSho wrote: "Gisela wrote: "Ch. 31 is hard to read!

[spoilers removed]"

I'm with you on this!
I just want to shaje Evie and tell her You've already chosen. What do you want from him? Either leave him be or ..."

I read some reviewers say that he needs to man up and just accept that he’s been friend zoned, but just as Aric can’t force Evie to be with him, Evie can’t force Aric to be her friend like before. I guess that’s what pisses me off the most, that Evie only cares about her feelings and that’s not love. When you love someone their thoughts, feelings, and choices matter too.

message 47: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I hated that she saw Jack at that moment. This tells me that their relationship won't last. He's just a placeholder.

In chapter 38
Something is not right! Those cryptic words in the back of the book...
Is lark betraying them? I don't trust Paul. Is he Finn? Was her grandmother ever there? What if the whole thing was an illusion?

message 48: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Apr 28, 2018 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments I don’t know what the words mean but I think someone is or will betray them. Like the grandma said the Game demands its due...

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments They are too happy together, something is going to go horribly wrong!

message 50: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Apr 28, 2018 04:40PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments He is happy, Evie has closed herself so much to avoid the grief that I can’t really say she is happy. I don’t think she can’t feel it. Like I said before Aric is 100% committed while Evie is only giving him 50%. We both know she’s going to leave him when she finds out that Jack is alive. I’m disappointed in this series. I thought I was getting The Hunger Games and it was that the first 2 books, then it turned into Twilight. Except this is worse because when Bella chose Edward she did it wholeheartedly. Like you said Aric is just a place holder until Jack gets back with Evie. This whole triangle is completely unnecessary. Ilona Andrews wrote 3 series without resorting to a love triangle for drama. In the Innkeeper, even though there were two possible love interests, it was clear who the heroine wanted. This book hasn’t moved the plot forward at all. (-_-)

« previous 1

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Twilight (other topics)
The Hunger Games (other topics)
Arcana Rising (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kresley Cole (other topics)