The Sword and Laser discussion

The Martian is a prequel to The Expanse

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4817 comments Here’s a neat factoid I just learned this morning while walking the dogs and listening to the Writing Excuses podcast:

Apparently Andy Weir met Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (collectively known as James S.A. Corey) at a con and they all thought that Weir’s The Martian served as a prequel to Leviathan Wakes. So Weir wrote Artemis to more fully link the two.

So by author agreement, these books are all canonically linked and exist in the same universe.

Which is kinda cool, if you ask me.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma (coffee_addict) | 60 comments Posts like this make me wish Goodreads had a like capability. Day made.

message 3: by David (last edited Apr 24, 2018 03:37PM) (new)

David (farrakut) | 738 comments I heard that on Writing Excuses, too, but Daniel Abraham has said it was just a friendly joke at a panel at San Diego Comic-Con a few years ago, so it's not really that canonical!

Andy Weir himself said that they're not in the same continuity (though there is a fun homage in the books with a ship called the Mark Watney).

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 4817 comments Stop meteor-showering on my rumor-parade!

message 5: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1519 comments Mod

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 961 comments Wait, was Artemis set in the same 'verse as The Martian?

message 7: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2203 comments I like this. I'm okay with it being canon or a fun joke between the authors.

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 283 comments tbh I’m always a sucker for a good crossover theory and the fact that this one is endorsed by the actual authors makes me very happy!

message 9: by William (new)

William | 263 comments Strangely enough I read Artemis for the first time just a few weeks ago and I decided that the Martian and Artemis would be Expanse prequels in my own personal head cannon.

message 10: by KevBayer (new)

KevBayer (SporadicReviews) | 507 comments Huh... I had heard that about The Martian loved the idea, but hadn't heard that about Artemis. When I read Artemis I didn't think about it at all in terms of being in the same world as The Martian or as The Expanse.

I'm all for it though!

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments They have fun sticking in little Easter Eggs like these. There's a also a ship named the Jefferson Mays (who narrates the audiobooks), and having the nightclub called Tech Noir was cool (Terminator).

Does anyone also watch Killjoys? The lieutenant on the Agatha King who helped Admiral Souther be sneaky was played by the guy who was Alvis the monk.

I loved seeing the poor coffeemaker all covered in duct tape with the "Out of Order" sign.

message 12: by KevBayer (new)

KevBayer (SporadicReviews) | 507 comments Michele wrote: "Does anyone also watch Killjoys? The lieutenant on the Agatha King who helped Admiral Souther be sneaky was played by the guy who was Alvis the monk

That's where I recognized him from! I was thinking he was the actor who portrayed The Ray from the Arrow crossover shows this season.

message 13: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments I got distracted by Alvis the monk and forgot to look up another face I recognized on that ship - who turned out to be Aynsley from Orphan Black (Allison's neighbor who dies in a tragic garbage disposal mishap).

Space is just full of Canadians these days.

message 14: by Mark (new)

Mark (mmtz) | 989 comments Michele wrote: "Space is just full of Canadians these days."

More space Canadians needed, stat!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canad...

message 15: by Mark (last edited Apr 28, 2018 05:41PM) (new)

Mark (mmtz) | 989 comments Holy cow, there's a book about it.

Canadians in Space: The Forever Frontier by John Melady

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark (mmtz) | 989 comments OMG a stamp too.

message 17: by Mark (last edited Apr 28, 2018 05:53PM) (new)

Mark (mmtz) | 989 comments The first Canadian is space, Marc Garneau, now Minister of Transport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Ga...

message 18: by Mark (last edited Apr 28, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Mark (mmtz) | 989 comments Sorry. This discussion was about a Martian, so let's get back on track

Martians, Go Home by Fredric Brown

message 19: by Mark (last edited Apr 28, 2018 06:02PM) (new)

message 20: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2275 comments Mod
Michele wrote: "Space is just full of Canadians these days. "