HPL Reads Book Club discussion

The Radium Girls > Gut Reaction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Houston (new)

Houston Library (hplreadsonlinebookclub) | 134 comments Mod
So far in reading this book, what is the most disturbing example of how the dangers of radium were ignored during this time period?

Explain your feelings and how you reacted to learning about these characters and the industry they worked in.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Just finished listening to Molly's story. That was incredibly rough and heartbreaking. I like to think we are more mindful of such things in business today, but I always remember how long it takes for the effects of certain chemicals to surface and be accepted by the general public.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how many of the things we enjoy today can affect us later in life.

message 3: by Ana (new)

Ana | 9 comments I agree that Mollie’s story was so sad. They all are, but the way they wrote off her cause of death as syphilis was terrible. Although the doctors couldn’t be sure what was causing her deterioration, by branding her with that social stigma they shut the door to further investigation for years causing harm to more women.

message 4: by Candy B (new)

Candy B | 3 comments A friend recommended the book last year but I had avoided reading it. Thank you to all following HPL Reads Book Club for choosing it and getting me out of my comfort zone.

I found it hard to believe but very believable that the company took out ads in the local paper and put up flyers to state how safe Radium was ... the trickery and convincing a town that the good of the company was good for all those involved and for the town's health during hard times really bothered me. Lives are more important.

The story was hard to read emotionally since it was based on facts and not a fictional scifi. Truth is stranger than fiction.

message 5: by Houston (new)

Houston Library (hplreadsonlinebookclub) | 134 comments Mod
Candy, thanks so much for reading with us! We love to hear that we got your out of your comfort zone.

Don't forget to vote on our next read! Just visit our home page and scroll to the bottom to cast your vote!

message 6: by Candy B (new)

Candy B | 3 comments Planning to vote ... just have not figured out which one since I've not read any of the authors and none of these were on my reading list this time around. But I'll plan to read what gets selected ... just to keep pushing toward trying new books.

I'm sure there are many others out there doing the same even though there are not many posts. We are just mentally answering the questions that you post!!!