Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Warhost of Vastmark (Wars of Light & Shadow, #3)
This topic is about Warhost of Vastmark
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > Q&A with Janny Wurts!! [Warhost of Vastmark BR]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Chris  (haughtc) | 1770 comments Here is the continuing Q&A for Wars of Light & Shadow by Janny Wurts.

This part of is for questions pertaining to Book 3, Warhost of Vastmark.

Warning: Spoilers for The Curse of the Mistwraith and The Ships of Merior will be likely.

message 2: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Quick comment for readers: the pacing at the end of Warhost is intense, and the reveals come fast because it is an ARC finish.

The 'rush' to see what happens is going to 'tell' but don't worry, what you need to know, you will see 'again' from an altered (and unveiling) perspective in ARC III. So enjoy the ride!

NOTICE for any eager beavers who race forward into Fugitive Prince and ARC III: take note. Vol IV is where many series start to sprawl - this one won't, however: it WILL 'gear back' in pace for reasons. Arc III rebuilds all you've seen so far and lifts it to a much higher perspective - and it will immensely expand your vantage of how this society ACTUALLY works - you're no longer gonna coast along in the illusion of medieval aristocracy any longer. The additional unveilings are intricate, and sweeping, and require a lot of detail to 'set up because you are going to 'live' through the experience of discovery. You won't see the impacts coming; and the ARC III structure will hit 'tipping point' in Peril's Gate - Traitor's Knot is convergency, and Stormed Fortress is all white heat finale. So don't 'assume' you know - because you won't. I've often observed that Fugitive Prince tends to become the 'lost volume' because many of the events and characters introduced in that book 'ring home' in Stormed Fortress. And the rearrangement of what you are actually seeing - will change everything in the first three books, radically, in hindsight. Watch for it. Arc III lifts the journey to 'world view' of the factions and their moral high ground may not be at all what you think it is. Think of the five volumes in Arc III as one story, although, the typical pattern (one/two wham) of each volume will also be there, and no cliffhangers. If you 'think' you know what you are seeing during the wind up volumes, - well, you don't. ;)

message 3: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments I have a couple of questions for the readers - is that OK with you guys?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Of course it is! :)
We'd love to answer.

message 5: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Relates to the Group operating protocols:
When you set up a Buddy Read date, what happens if readers want to start the book after the timing is past - does it matter, or after a certain time, do you start a new Buddy Read?

Relates to what you readers want:
Do you want me to put interactive info here (non spoiling or spoiler marked) or pull up precise information if the discussion calls for it, but the poster could not recall where it was or what it was?

Also: your feedback:
Do you want me to continue to post 'intro' material or related resources in this topic related to the volume it applies to? (stuff like related material, interactive map, wiki (there is a Paravia one) summaries of prior volumes, satellite short fiction/when applicable.

Let me know your thoughts/how you want it, since visiting this thread at all is voluntary - Thanks!

Daniel | 1536 comments The more info the better in my opinion. Especially maps! Thank you in advance :D

Choko (chokog) | 7738 comments On the last question - YES! We feel so lucky and spoiled rotten by having you and your voice while reading your work, you have no idea! We love everything you get to tell us, because it feels like we are all enthralled by your writing! So yes, please!!!

On the first question...
I am not a MOD for any group, but what we usually do is keep a BR link for as long as there are people still reading it, and about a month after the last comment, the MODs file the topics in the Archive BR's. If any two people or more want to read the books, a new file is opened for the needed dates. Usually, a link to the archive is given just for those who are curious to see what their friends have thought while reading the books as well...

The archiving has to do with there being a limit of opened folders a group can have at one time and often they feel they have to archive folders in order to be able to open new ones members of the group are asking for.

On the middle questions - either! Whichever is most comfortable for you. As I already said, you have been so gracious and wonderful with us, we are kind of in awe for you even being a presence here with us:):):):) We would do anything not to rock the boat:):)

Once again - our complete gratitude for being as awesome as you are!!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments From my opinion
regarding Group operating protocols:

As a rule we have a period of 2 weeks to start the book from the time of the given start date (that is set this way in case of huge buddy reads when there are lots of people participating).

But in case of smaller BRs like this one, we normally wait for each other to read. That is why I haven't posted my comments on the last chapter yet, because Olivia and Choko aren't done yet and I'd rather wait for them to reach the finish than post early.

Even after finishing the book we will be still on the thread for late readers and comment on it with them.

If there is another batch of readers deciding to read the series from the beginning (as is the case now for Curse of the Mistwraith - Mayim and Shaitarn will be reading it after the 20th of this month I think) a new thread will be probably set up with a link in it to our previous discussion thread. That way the book will appear again on the main site of the group and provide an opportunity for new readers to join the BR.

Relates to what you readers want:
Also: your feedback:

I think most of us are really not in clear about what kind of questions we are allowed to ask so the thread remains empty because of that.

On other Q&A threads the questions asked were generally only about how the author came to think about writing something, what the inspiration for it was or what his/her plans for the future are. And we already asked you a lot of those on the first thread. :)

We do have a tendency to stop and discuss details that we weren't really in clear with in the story, like the part about Arithon's powers that I have mentioned in Ships of Merior. And truth be told, I for one would like to ask about details like that but I'm not sure it would be right. It somehow feels like grabbing the whole hand when just a finger is given.

I would appreciate any extra information you could post and to be frank, I would love it if you would even post inside our normal discussion thread and actively join the discussion whenever you feel like it. It would be an honour to have you there also. And again, openly saying this feels like standing in front of the door, shifting from foot to foot and wringing my hands, while wondering if I haven't crossed the line.
So please please please don't mind me asking.

message 9: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Hi Janny :)

Regarding your group protocol question:

Choko and Laura's information is correct. After a while, if it seems like no one is commenting on a buddy read and another group wants to read the book, a second thread is usually set up. Following the dates exactly is not a requirement and people often start a couple days early or late (sometimes even weeks). People also read at all different paces so there are no real rules about a cut-off date.

We set up a new thread to make the organization of everything easier as there is a folder limit of 100. It also makes each thread a little bit easier to navigate in a big buddy read group where the thread could be a several pages long.

The decision to archive a thread largely depends on how many buddy reads we need to set up, but in general, two months with no comments is the earliest we will archive something.

If a new group of readers would prefer to use the old thread that is also fine. We always include the link to the first buddy read so members can look back through the comments. People usually prefer to have a new thread and start fresh, but it's really up to the readers.

Hope that answers any questions! I will leave the other questions up to those involved in this BR (which I wish I had joined after seeing the detailed answers you give in your Q&A threads).

message 10: by Olivia (last edited May 04, 2018 02:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olivia (vinjii) | 1085 comments I would love to see further info, I always go back and look at it all, once I'm done with the respective book. I like to experience it blind at first. But, also, I can guarantee, I will re-read the series, so I can experience it with all the additional material and knowledge and can find / look for all the things I've missed the first time.

I've also heard that there are short stories?

Is there a link on the Internet that will tell us when to read the short stories? So they don't spoil us? And can they be bought or found somewhere easily?

I'm very thankful you take all this time for us :)

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "The more info the better in my opinion. Especially maps! Thank you in advance :D"

This is awesome! You are totally welcome. I'd like to mention here: the support on this series has been SO SPOTTY over the years, with long, LONG intervals with various titles out of print (having them all available in print/AT ALL is a wonder, so let's keep it coming) I get very very few responses from readers at all. Short story: I've been sailing this entire ship solo for many many years, more isn't appropriate to say.

Making the readership happy makes ME happy because I can see all that hard (mainly solo) work being enjoyed - and - it gets the material into the readership's awareness (think how there are hordes of Malazan readers/readers of any complicated series, really) who are responsive - Light and Shadows lacks this, yet, mostly due to not being widely discovered. So it is HELPFUL for you to ask, and understand the nuances.

Also: I am writing the FINAL VOLUME, Song of the Mysteries, right now - this whole discussion is giving me a lift/showing me what readers see and don't as they go through the entire series - and knowing what points may not have been thoroughly understood - it helps ME to know what stitches need a flourish so that the closing volume leaves nothing forgotten.....so in effect, you new readers (and old) to the series are helping ME see the material gone before through fresh eyes, as I always knew where it all lead in the first place.

Last: I had planned my own, slow-motion re-read of prior material as I build the last finale - and the TIMING - means, I can read along with you (think a very lonely, tough brain burn of a job - wow, I have the gift of COMPANY! Not just company, but careful, caring thorough readers who GET IT! Wow, it's me that's blessed!!!

message 12: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Choko wrote: "On the last question - YES! We feel so lucky and spoiled rotten by having you and your voice while reading your work, you have no idea! We love everything you get to tell us, because it feels like ..."

Thank you for the rundown on the mechanics of the group - helps a lot to know how it works.

Do NOT worry about 'rocking the boat!!!' I am a blue water sailor/done offshore miles in VERY small (and large) craft, under sail, and I do not blink or lose it in heavy weather there - So rock that boat, I'll deliver on a jackline if I must to keep from washing overboard....and if there is a spoiler or if I haven't time I will SAY SO, there is no offense taken - the more enthusiastic you are, the better these threads will ROCK!

So rock it, sock it, and let's party on!

message 13: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "From my opinion

As a rule we have a period of 2 weeks to start the book from the time of the given start date (that is set this way in case of huge buddy rea..."

Nice, thanks for taking time to clarify further the group's protocols, that's helpful.

Wow - fuses blown - People are starting Curse of the Mistwraith?? (HUGE HAPPY DANCE).

Regarding questions: ask away, there is no reason not to - I will answer as I can - there are no 'wrong' questions AT ALL. If it would spoil future reveals, I will say I can't answer that, read on and see. If it is seriously spoil territory to answer, you'll get my emoticon for author with duct tape over mouth: :X
Which means Lips Sealed.

If you want to know technical bits, fine, or where ideas sprang from, or what music inspired, or where I traveled in the world for a setting I'd already written (huh?) that's OK. If a question involves my life, and it is too personal to answer, I'll just say....there are certain things it would be unprofessional to speak of regarding behind the scenes career stuff, or opinonated references to peers, so I'll just say, can't answer that in public.

I'm not going anywhere, I've been on GR for over (?) a decade, I'm a huge reader (often can't post due to unprofessional to do so) so my pass through GR is a daily to relax or catch a breath between scenes.

So kill the idea good and dead that you'll upset me, I'm not fragile, couldn't be, to have threaded this massive series through all I've had to to get it out there/keep it in print. Whatever other authors did in their Q/A, they're not me, give me a book, an idea, an ethics discussion, I'm a kid with candy, so have at it! (I also type at light speed, so these posts don't take more than a moment.)

message 14: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Jenna wrote: "Hi Janny :)

Regarding your group protocol question:

Choko and Laura's information is correct. After a while, if it seems like no one is commenting on a buddy read and another group wants to read ..."

Jenna - I'm blessed to have had you flesh out the comment on how the group works even more - thank you so much!

message 15: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "From my opinion

As a rule we have a period of 2 weeks to start the book from the time of the given start date (that is set this way in case of huge buddy rea..."

Laura- I wanted to address your comment about posting in the buddy read itself - I have found that an author presence can make readers too nervous to freely post....particularly if they don't like something, they won't feel as free to express themselves if they know or think the author may comment on them....so I feel it is best to leave that thread to the READERS - it's their experience, after all, not mine.

What I can do: you can totally ASK ME HERE about any comment, or even, double post yours if there is something you want addressed.

OR, I could: put a parallel comment HERE, like a direct quote of a line one reader may have seen, but another missed (Example: where it happened that Arithon wasn't sure of his motivation....the PRECISE scene mattered, because it reflected his personal recognition of how he knows he cannot see ALL of what the curse is doing - how much it MAY BE turning his choices or shading his actions - he was definitely NOT a hundred percent sure, in that regard, that he was fully IN control of his ethic - and was honest about that uncertainty when asked.)

So READER vote: do you want side commentary?

As to the satellite short stories - there are five of them. If we set up a Q&A for each volume, I can show you when they 'fit' best. Most of them fly best in ARC III, Unless you have a reader who easily gets confused - then there is one of them can be read prior to Mistwraith that will clearly outline the political pressures going in. Three shorts are available as e format in my webstore, and they are in print in anthologies, still available, for paper. Two are only in print anthologies - they'll eventually be converted - one of those fits best in Arc IV. And I have a novella (Verrain's back story) coming out in a bundle set in August/it will also be available via the Paravia Catalog.

I'd thought to post the info about them going into Arc III/as you start to see World View open up in Fugitive Prince and Grand Conspiracy.

Daniel | 1536 comments I vote yes to all side commentaries!

message 17: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "I vote yes to all side commentaries!"

OK!!! Side commentary #1: Please DO HAVE that ethics discussion - it's totally what this series (er, one of the things) is about - remember the PROLOGUE? If you don't - re-read it!!! :)

Daniel | 1536 comments Hmmm well this series so far definitely makes you think about situational ethics versus absolutes. Also, personal responsibility versus “the devil made me do it”. Sorry couldn’t resist :D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments The idea about asking here about anything we'd like to have addressed is wonderful!! Thank you.

And I vote YES to all side commentaries also!

I have now officially killed the idea good and dead (*huge grin*) and again Thank You! that really means a lot.

Regarding new BR - Last time I spoke to the ladies they were hell bent on starting Curse at around the end of May and trying to catch up with this group later. And that it is also due to the awesome Q&A we're having over here.

I'm collecting your books in hardcovers (or paperbacks when hardcovers are not available). Is there a list of the anthologies in which your short stories have been printed, because I'd like to get those also if I can.

Here in India, where I am now, your books are a bit difficult to get. Bookstores won't have them normally on the shelves so I have had to place special orders for them to be brought from UK. It takes about 3 weeks to receive them and the prices are pretty high because they are imported. Ordering them online from Amazon over here means the same amount of time/money. Just to give you an example, The Cycle of Fire trilogy is sold with the amount of about 200 USD which I think is a bit more than double than the UK price. And I have been told the prices will come down as soon as the number of requests grows. A fact that I myself have noticed in the last few months. In the beginning of the year we could only buy the Warhost paperback with about 30 to 40 dollars while now it is available with only 9 or 10 and even cheaper sometimes if on sale. So it is clear that more and more people read them.

Choko (chokog) | 7738 comments YES!

message 21: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "The idea about asking here about anything we'd like to have addressed is wonderful!! Thank you.

And I vote YES to all side commentaries also!

I have now officially killed the idea good and dead (..."

For the ladies who aim to be starting Curse of the Mistwraith, tell them: the Q/A remains open, I will see it if it goes live, and respond.

For getting the series in paper: I have USA hardbacks up to Traitor's Knot here, can do them as SETS only, because they are all long out of print and I can't have 'random stock' left over. Contact me via my e mail address on the Paravia website, and I can see what postage etc would cost. All the books are IN PRINT in mass market via HarperCollins Voyager, UK. They likely still have hardbound, maybe trade paperback stock left for Initiate's Trial and Destiny's Conflict. Stormed Fortress - had no hardback (it's a debacle story) so you'd have to find it in Trade Paperback, and the print run was very small/not redone....another debacle...it was a 'warehousing' shift caught this title out/to screw up continuity. Numbers to the nth power would shift this to a re-run, so the series 'catching hold' could make that change.

The shorts (three of them) are available in e format at www.paravia.com/catalog, look under e books.

in paperback/print:

Under Cover of Darkness has The Sundering Star
really don't read this until after Fugitive Prince/or during Grand Conspiracy

Masters of Fantasy has Child of Prophecy
best read anywhere in the third ARC, or, if you are starting Mistwraith and don't want to 'swim' in the deep end regarding the political motivation for the main world and the Gate world to Dascen Elur.

The Solaris Book of New Fantasy has Reins of Destiny - it could be read anywhere in Arc III - after Fugitive Prince or during Grand Conspiracy.

The other stories are not in e format independently, yet, but the anthologies in print have e editions.

Unfettered II has The Decoy (sale of this anthology benefits Cancer research) - read anywhere in Arc III/after Fugitive Prince or during Grand Conspiracy.

Evil is a Matter of Perspective: An Anthology of Antagonists has Black Bargain - DO NOT READ until you've read all of ARC III - so between Stormed Fortress and Initiate's Trial would be 'ideal' placement.

I have The Gallant coming (which is a novella - Verrain's story) - it should be out a bit later this year, I will keep you posted.

Historically, these all take place BEFORE the series starts, in one case by many MANY millennia.

'Chronologically' by historical timeline (if you've read the whole series and want to see the back stories in 'order of event':

The Sundering Star
Black Bargain
(The Gallant)
The Decoy
Reins of Destiny
Child of Prophecy

All but the first one cluster pretty tightly around one set of major events due to: readers assumed and oversimplified how those events happened in a very major way. ALL of the points raised in these stories also play in the latter half of the series, seriously - so they will shed 'side' light into what you are seeing in the major books - but are not 'necessary' - they just flesh out bigtime what you are seeing in the story proper.

If more people are reading the main series, then, more and more can be 'possible' - what is stopping major action on the publisher's part is 'numbers' and that, in turn, hugely affects visibility - so word of mouth online at this stage is what is letting readers know the books exist - it's been that way for years. Love to see that change!! (so thank YOU, this is helping!!!! so much.)

Now - I have a question for you - will post separately.

message 22: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "Hmmm well this series so far definitely makes you think about situational ethics versus absolutes. Also, personal responsibility versus “the devil made me do it”. Sorry couldn’t resist :D"

Ha - devilmademedoit...snort!

Here's some fun/side comment: I know the events in Warhost hit pitch, and you have to read to find out what happens BUT - on a slow, second look/if you re-check Lysaer's scenes from a 'later' or more cool headed perspective - WATCH FOR IT - there is little stuff in the cracks OR stuff right there but passed over in a hurry - that clue you - there is more here than what seems to be. If you see red, that is FINE! for now; the subtleties will 'out' in due course, and some stuff may not all be noted (yet) in round I....like other notable/extremely subtle and complex series - you aren't expected to see it all at once.

Daniel | 1536 comments The scene from the Temple of Ath shows there is/could be a great path out for Lysaer. I assume there are many more clues I missed, perhaps on the second reading lol

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments First of all, after finishing Warhost, I would like to say that right now I'm head over heels for this series. Thank you for a brilliant story! :)

As we were just discussing chapters 7 and 8 could you please tell us if chapter 7 was meant to be the sucker punch for this volume? Because that's exactly what it seems to have been for me. Not even the huge numbers in chapter 8 seemed to hit as bad as the events in chapter 7. And then we had that even bigger punch in the last chapter where you had us holding our breath there for a little while. Does this follow the same structure of Curse? And if yes should we expect it in future volumes also?

And what inspired you to write the scene with Dakar's tactic? How did you come to choose this particular strategy? Because it would be according to Dakar's personality (prone to the most unexpected mischief)? Was it meant as an emotional relief after chapter 7? Or did it have another purpose? That part of the battle was unbelievable. It was absolutely amazing because it made me wonder if there is something wrong with me as I was laughing despite of all that tragedy.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you so much for your answer and your kind offer.

I have already gotten all the books up to Traitor's Knot but found only books 5 to 7 as hardback. I didn't know that the last books are only available in paperback and I was going to make a fuss with the bookstore for not trying hard enough to get them for me. :)

I will let the ladies know about the Q&A and thank you for that also. :)

message 26: by Janny (last edited May 04, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you so much for your answer and your kind offer.

I have already gotten all the books up to Traitor's Knot but found only books 5 to 7 as hardback. I didn't know that the last books are only..."

But Initiate's Trial and Destiny's Conflict ARE available in hardback - though maybe harder to get via UK/they only shipped hardback to USA/without the trade edition, and maybe they played down the Hardbound release for Commonwealth markets - do check again, you ought to be able to get them!!!!

You definitely want to watch out for Initiate's Trial if you are buying mass market paperback (small format) editions - the publisher set the pages in bloody SIX POINT TYPE, I never saw the page proofs - it's awful to read if you don't have a magnifier. Fair warning, people do....it's a frightful thing - try to get the trade or hardback edition or read it in e format to save your eyes!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments They are?! Then I will deffinitely check again. I'd love to have the full series in hardback. So I'm hunting everywhere for them. :)

message 28: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "First of all, after finishing Warhost, I would like to say that right now I'm head over heels for this series. Thank you for a brilliant story! :)

As we were just discussing chapters 7 and 8 could..."

Thank you so very much for your nice words - heartwarming stuff, so very happy making!

Chapter 7 - oh, yes, that one was up close and personal and MEANT to hit you precisely as it did Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

As for Dakar - his scene and role here was written very early in the planning - it is comic relief...in part - dramatically, if things get too ugly too long, the reader cannot take it, and black humor steps in - author take - I wanted you to feel to the max, and this 'break' is necessary to hold the impacts and not fall off or let the reader become cynical. Also: picture Dakar as a character - doing a serious killing tactic/as a strategist, he's a big fat clownish failure. So having him respond this way, and being all slipshod about how he executed what he did - perfectly in character, perfectly timed for reader relief, and gads, I had fun writing it!! too.

message 29: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Janny wrote: "Laura wrote: "First of all, after finishing Warhost, I would like to say that right now I'm head over heels for this series. Thank you for a brilliant story! :)

As we were just discussing chapters..."

Also about Chapter 7 - look at Dakar's take in the scene prior, on the ship....how/where he flinched and could not look....check the words. I should have added: think of Calais......there lay some of the inspiration.

message 30: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Side comment, here is some fun for your discussion that you haven't yet broached: cover art.

There is symbolism behind every single element in every single cover art, chapter head, end piece - even in the USA covers that were portrait style and the older style 'landscape' covers done in the UK - every element has a hidden or NOT so hidden meaning.

And the icon artwork too.

All of the details matter not just those set into the words; there is a lot in the images, too.

Daniel | 1536 comments Hmm you may have hit upon a major ebook deficiency. The cover art is small, and the interior art is nonexistent. ‘‘Tis sad but true.

message 32: by Laura (last edited May 04, 2018 09:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Also: picture Dakar as a character - doing a serious killing tactic/as a strategist, he's a big fat clownish failure.

I was just now having my morning coffee and tried to picture Dakar facing a group of hardened clansmen and giving serious strategical orders for the clansmen to follow - I snorted coffee through my nose. :)

Also about Chapter 7 - look at Dakar's take in the scene prior, on the ship....how/where he flinched and could not look....check the words. I should have added: think of Calais......there lay some of the inspiration.

Did you mean this?
(view spoiler)

Thank you for explaining.

Also, I'm looking forward to your question. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Janny wrote: "Side comment, here is some fun for your discussion that you haven't yet broached: cover art.

There is symbolism behind every single element in every single cover art, chapter head, end piece - eve..."

We readers normally don't pay that much attention to covers I think - because most of them are just pretty and have nothing much in common with the book we're reading. Thank you for pointing out that these do mean something. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Daniel wrote: "Hmm you may have hit upon a major ebook deficiency. The cover art is small, and the interior art is nonexistent. ‘‘Tis sad but true."

we can get their photos online so we can zoom in on them also. I am curious now to see what they represent. How about you?

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes I have been studying the first three covers to decipher what I could. Really bummed I have no access to the interior art. I always pay attention to the artwork and the maps. Not so happy with my iPad ebook at the moment :(

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments 😁😁😁I completely understand. That's why I love hardbacks - they have great covers and art and feel so good to hold and read from!

Do you want to search for the pics online and post them on our discussion thread or should I?

Daniel | 1536 comments If you have time at the moment that would be great Laura. If not I will do so next week.

Daniel | 1536 comments The problem is the chapter headers and footers. I am guessing there are symbols that when unlocked shed clues or give hints to patterns. Oh well can’t have everything lol

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Daniel wrote: "The problem is the chapter headers and footers. I am guessing there are symbols that when unlocked shed clues or give hints to patterns. Oh well can’t have everything lol"

true. :(

I'll post the pics in an hour or so. We can then try to go over them together.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Related to the magic, I've been wanting to ask since Ships Of Merior. Hope it's ok.

In connection to Arithon do the terms 'has lost his mage powers' and 'has blinded his mage sight' mean the same? Or are they 2 different things?
I'm asking because I understood them as 2 different things but got confused when the first thing Dakar asked/confirmed with Asandir in Ships of Merior was that Arithon has blinded his mage sight. And I must confess I'm still not sure about it. Is mage sight just a part of the mage powers or does it mean the same thing?

The magic of music - In Jaelot while playing in front of the mayor, does Arithon (view spoiler)

And could you please give us a bit of extra info regarding the power gained through music? It seems to enable Arithon to see magic when it is done, as well as recognise the essence of a person. Is it just another way of accessing the mage powers or something entirely different?

And the ability of Sethvir to see and hear things and events all over. Dakar was trying in chapter 7 to attract his attention and signal his distress by (view spoiler) Does Sethvir follow the power lines in the earth to extend his awareness?

message 41: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Also: picture Dakar as a character - doing a serious killing tactic/as a strategist, he's a big fat clownish failure.

I was just now having my morning coffee and tried to picture Dakar facing a g..."

Oh dear, ha! Don't drown yourself over Dakar's ineptitude....

I'd have snorted coffee too...

YES, that is the passage precisely I was referring to - regarding your conclusions, you'll see, it 'comes round again' - the implications of this scene will out later, absolutely!

message 42: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "Hmm you may have hit upon a major ebook deficiency. The cover art is small, and the interior art is nonexistent. ‘‘Tis sad but true."

All the cover art is posted on my website - if I recall correctly, it is in the GALLERY section And - if you pull up the book's page on the Paravia site, the cover image 'revolves' showing all of the covers, portraits, landscapes, icon styled....the portraits and landscapes are all on there, too, as plain images - visit the print shop if you can't find them in the drop downs.

message 43: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Janny wrote: "Side comment, here is some fun for your discussion that you haven't yet broached: cover art.

There is symbolism behind every single element in every single cover art, chapter head, e..."

Well, grin, I did the art....Cover and Interior - so the depth and the connections will just echo those same qualities in the books. ;)

message 44: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "😁😁😁I completely understand. That's why I love hardbacks - they have great covers and art and feel so good to hold and read from!

Do you want to search for the pics online and post them on our disc..."

Brian already posted the cover art for Curse of the Mistwraith's USA edition on the Buddy Read discussion for that book.

message 45: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "The problem is the chapter headers and footers. I am guessing there are symbols that when unlocked shed clues or give hints to patterns. Oh well can’t have everything lol"

Clue: Look at the numerology/mathematics and at the 'base number' of the pattern if it is a geometric; some are animals; some combine both. Then the symbolism behind all that...

message 46: by Janny (last edited May 05, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Related to the magic, I've been wanting to ask since Ships Of Merior. Hope it's ok.

In connection to Arithon do the terms 'has lost his mage powers' and 'has blinded his mage sight' mean the same?..."

The books, very slowly, will unveil a whole lot of 'how' this stuff works - there are basically several (more then 5...) ways to 'Access' the underlying template....and the underlying template is based on PHYSICS...there is a LOT more to this; but: here's a clue if you know your physics: look at RESONANCE, look at HARMONICS created by resonance, and look at the ELECTROMAGNETIC SPECTRUM - a lot of which is above and below human sense, but ACCESSIBLE by harmonics....there is a LOT more that will unveil, but this explains why:

Arithon LOST the upper range of that spectrum; Sight is a higher FREQUENCY than SOUND - but SOUND can key those same registers by HARMONICS...so effectively he can 'hear' and sense what he's doing by the workaround of audible range sound, but when those combined sounds key the upper range frequencies by HARMONIC - he can NOT ACCESS IT BY SIGHT, directly.

Note that multiple notes combined or added to another note - change resonance to a frequency in between the lowest and highest - it is all mathematical.

NOT all there is to know about the magic on Athera - most of which occurs above or below the electromagnetic spectrum RANGE accessible to human senses....but it will give you a hard steer towards understanding what you are looking at, and how the various accessing elements key that response.

message 47: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "Yes I have been studying the first three covers to decipher what I could. Really bummed I have no access to the interior art. I always pay attention to the artwork and the maps. Not so happy with m..."

Lazy of the publisher to leave out the artwork in the e versions: it is all black and white line art and would have translated perfectly easily to e formatting. Sigh. If we get more momentum in the numbers dept, then, complaints may be heard in this regard.

Daniel | 1536 comments Yes pure laziness. Very unfortunate since it probably didn’t really save any money.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Janny wrote: "Laura wrote: "Related to the magic, I've been wanting to ask since Ships Of Merior. Hope it's ok.

In connection to Arithon do the terms 'has lost his mage powers' and 'has blinded his mage sight' ..."

Thank you so much for your reply. After your clue the pieces shifted into place and I can understand it.
That system is amazing!!! (in case I didn't mention). And I'm looking forward to finding out more about the magic in the next books. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Janny wrote: "Laura wrote: "Also: picture Dakar as a character - doing a serious killing tactic/as a strategist, he's a big fat clownish failure.

Oh dear, ha! Don't drown yourself over Dakar's ineptitude....

I'd have snorted coffee too...

(*big grin*) I think readers have a tendency to do that when they love their books. :)
One of my friends did the same while imagining talking Pust to her husband. :)
and another one while reading Kevin's wishes for the querdidra in Servant of the Empire.

« previous 1