Brilliant Books You've Never Heard Of discussion

The Secret Ingredient of Wishes
This topic is about The Secret Ingredient of Wishes
Group Read > The Secret Ingredient of Wishes - Finished Reading *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) What are your final thoughts of The Secret Ingredient of Wishes? Was it a treat to read?

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) This was a sweet, quick read (Emphasis on the sweet). It's certainly not what I usually read, but it was pleasant.

I adored Catch. She was amusing and just the right amount of cranky old lady. I would probably have enjoyed a book about her more. Then again, romance isn't really my genre of choice, so that could just be me. I prefer stories about snarky old ladies more than sweet, young people falling in love.

The characters were a little two-dimensional. Though, they seemed par for the course for this type of book. This is definitely meant to be light reading.

I love fantasy, but I'm always a little thrown by magical realism. It never quite feels right. I had the same feeling with the magic system in this book. The general public in Nowhere just seemed to accept the craziness a little too easily.

All in all it was a decent read. Not something I would have picked out for myself, but I don't regret the time I spent reading it. I definitely think that fans of this genre would really enjoy it.

message 3: by Mo (last edited May 09, 2018 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mo (weneed_mobrown) | 4 comments Kristin B. wrote: "This was a sweet, quick read (Emphasis on the sweet). It's certainly not what I usually read, but it was pleasant.

I adored Catch. She was amusing and just the right amount of cranky old lady. I ..."

You definitely captured how I felt about the book. I think most of the issues I had (2-dimensional characters, magical realism, Ashe getting divorce but also swooning over Rachel, etc.) could have been solved with just some more writing.

I also really liked Catch because she seemed like an actual original character compared to the others.

It was definitely light reading that would be perfect for a vacation book.

Also, how did you feel about the twists with the Scott(Michael)/Ashe and Lola/ Mary Beth all kind of being connected?

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) Marysha wrote: "Kristin B. wrote: "Also, how did you feel about the twists with the Scott(Michael)/Ashe and Lola/ Mary Beth all kind of being connected? ..."

It could have all seemed a little too coincidental, but I think that was the point of Nowhere. I ended up being ok with it because it fit in with the magic of the town. Nowhere is basically a giant lost and found.

I wish Lola had been a little more developed as a character. I wanted her to have redeeming qualities, because I wanted to root for her and Mary Beth to reconnect. But she was just too flat. I also didn't like that whole family story. No mother would abandon her daughter because she's having trouble handling a tragedy. At least, no mother I ever want to know. And for the whole family to do it? Felt unrealistic.

I ended up really liking Scott being Michael. I think it was sweet in a way. I'm not sure how I feel about Rachel not telling him. It's definitely kinder not to tell him. And I suppose she still gets her brother back in a way. If she and Ashe stay together then Scott becomes her brother-in-law! Not quite the same, but at least she knows he's happy.

message 5: by Mo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mo (weneed_mobrown) | 4 comments Kristin B. wrote: "Marysha wrote: "Kristin B. wrote: "Also, how did you feel about the twists with the Scott(Michael)/Ashe and Lola/ Mary Beth all kind of being connected? ..."

It could have all seemed a little too ..."

I think the author tried to give Lola some redeeming qualities. Ashe's father is a magical con man. Yes she wouldn't have slept with him if she didn't want to but there had to be something that convinced her, which was unfortunately never explained. She did get a bit nicer and the letters she wrote to Mary Beth were cute. But yeah, the family disowning her? So fake.

Sally McDaniel-Smith | 13 comments This was sweet, fun read. The author subtlely threw in some pop culture references that I enjoyed, and I very much liked the botanical and natural language she wove in throughout. She was good at including the natural world as a tangible character, and the sense of place was deeply and intrinsically woven into the storyline. I especially loved that all the major characters that carried the story were strong women, and interesting people, to boot.

I loved the method in which the wishes appear - drifting out of the air or otherwise appearing in the course of her day. That was such a creative idea, and made her gift itself seem like yet another character in the story, pushing and pulling her toward the next thing.

There was, however, sort of a lot of swooning going on. That part felt a little askew, knowing that their characters are mid- to- late-twenties, and it seems like swooniness ought perhaps to have died down a little, but it's pretty likely that I'm just a jaded old lady there. (This isn't a genre I normally read, so I was unaccustomed to the midday swoons).

Occasionally, there were metaphors and/or images that were used perhaps once too often (they should have a real ant problem in Nowhere, with the quantity of sticky pie filling that seems to drip on the floor/counter/person/clothing), but I did enjoy her descriptions of pies, of fruit, and of baking. I have, as of yet, managed to resist running out and getting pie, but I think I won't be able to hold out much longer!

At the end, I couldn't help but feel a little conflicted about the main character's choice to leave the past in the past...what with her mother's suicide and father's disappearance- perhaps more time/development could have been given to that choice, adding to her depth as a character and to the weight of such a gift.

Good Read! Thanks, Group! I wouldn't have known about it if not for you!

Josh Whittington | 2 comments I don't have much to say that doesn't echo what everyone else has already said. This definitely isn't the kind of book I normally read, but I enjoyed it. It was to find things like this that I joined the group for :) I liked the sense of small-town living that it builds, where everyone knows everyone else and lends each other a hand when they need it; then showing the darker side of this when everyone turns on Rachel and it feels like the world is against her.

The romance was ok, but felt kind of vapid and happening because it had to rather than there being a strong bond there. The romance focus took me by surprise because I didn't look into the book before I read it, and the rather dark beginning with Rachel wishing her brother away and abandoning her friends had me expecting a totally different kind of book.

I agree with what everyone else has said about Lola and Ashe's dad. Lola's redemption arc didn't really work because she was still pretty awful and only nice to Rachel because she helped her out. I was expecting Ashe's dad to play a bigger role and maybe see his magical charm become a bigger plot point, but that was just kinda discarded.

All in all it was a nice, light comfort read that I enjoyed quite a bit.