Flights of Fantasy discussion

BINGO Challenge > Colleen's Bizarre Bingo

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Methodolgy:
Filled out the 5 standards, then randomized the rest of the categories to try and challenge myself a bit more.

KISS (Keep It Simple Scoring):
Just going for straight BINGOs.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Dang it, Colleen. Now I feel like I should randomize mine!

message 3: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Do eet!

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Mean.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Methodolgy:
Filled out the 5 standards, then randomized the rest of the categories to try and challenge myself a bit more.

KISS (Keep It Simple Scoring):
Just going for straight BINGOs.

"

DAMN YOU! YOu have an ACTUAL board.

We hates you, don't we preciousss?

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I just made a table in Word and then converted it to an image.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I just made a 5x5 grid on a tab of the sheet I'm using for all of my challenges. :)

message 8: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 88 comments Why didn't I think to use Excel for this?!

Good job on the randomization. I didn't think of that. I just made mine somewhat hard.

message 9: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments You're doing good, too!

message 11: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I thought I was until I saw yours! LOL

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I only have 1 book more than you... And that one I finished up this weekend.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Ok, ok... fair enough. ;)

message 14: by Emma (last edited May 07, 2018 11:20AM) (new)

Emma Colleen, How did you post that box? I have done a word version and an excel but I can't post it in a box format- it just pastes as plain text! How do I convert to an image?

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Emma wrote: "Colleen, How did you post that box? I have done a word version and an excel but I can't post it in a box format- it just pastes as plain text! How do I convert to an image?"

I *think* it's a screenshot.

message 16: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Emma wrote: "Colleen, How did you post that box? I have done a word version and an excel but I can't post it in a box format- it just pastes as plain text! How do I convert to an image?"

I *think* it's a screenshot."

A screenshot would've actually been easier - LOL.

I converted the Word file to PDF and then from PDF to an Image.

For now on, though, I'll be doing a screenshot. Derp.

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Emma wrote: "Colleen, How did you post that box? I have done a word version and an excel but I can't post it in a box format- it just pastes as plain text! How do I convert to an ..."

LOL!

That's what I did - cropped screenshot.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma I’m going to try again later but don’t be surprised if You never see a Bingo box on my page. ICT challenged!

message 19: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments How was murder most unladylike?

message 21: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I was underwhelmed by it, sadly.

I do plan on reading the next in the series, and making sure I get ahold of a UK edition, because I'm not sure how much was due to the Americanization of it.

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "I was underwhelmed by it, sadly.

I do plan on reading the next in the series, and making sure I get ahold of a UK edition, because I'm not sure how much was due to the Americanization of it."

Ugh, I hate that.

message 23: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited May 10, 2018 02:01PM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Yeah. It wasn't nearly as charming as I expected it to be.

One of the main characters was an annoying bossypants, and the other one has low self-esteem issues and sort of glosses over the casual racism thrown in her direction.

It's set in the 1930s and the narrator is from Hong Kong and I guess the racism is realistic for the time, but it's like it's mentioned and Hazel is annoyed by it, but then it just keeps happening and nothing's really ever done about it.

The narrator also talks about how Daisy, the annoying bossy-boots, is this perfect, beautiful English rose. Blech.

ETA: Also Daisy was supposed to be Sherlock-esque, and comes across as pretty much a sociopath. No empathy, no care about other people's feelings, etc... which for some reason seems so much more disturbing in an 11-year-old-girl.

The mystery itself was interesting enough and kept me guessing, but the denouement was really long and, like, everything got explained twice?

message 24: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

I'm not sure I'm actually going to finish Black Prism in the next 2 months...

message 25: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

message 26: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments BINGO!

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Woot!

message 28: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 88 comments Yay!

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Boom!

message 30: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

message 31: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments nice!

message 32: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Thanks :)

Not sure I'll get full board coverage by the end of July, but I'm certainly going to try!

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I still have at least 5 more to cover. We'll see about those...its getting hard!

message 34: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (last edited Jun 29, 2018 06:49AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm doing 2 swaps:

Swapping out "Collection of Stories" for "Woman Author". (I do actually have a collection I'm waiting on from the library, but I'm currently hold position 5, so...)

Also swapping out "Translated" for "White Cover".

If anyone wants to give me a good rec, I'm open for suggestions. Preferably something already on my TBR list. ;) LOL (I was going to do that Robin Hood book you rec'd me recently, MrsJ, but it's not out yet.)

3 Bingos - Working on 2 more!

message 35: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Since no friend recs were forthcoming, I'm taking my third and final swap and switching out "Rec'd By Friend" and replacing it with "Set in a Different Country" - which I presume means different country from which I live.

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dude. I rec'd The Belles to you, too.

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Oooh, you used it for POC author

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I suggest Raksura! ;-)

message 39: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Oooh, you used it for POC author"

Yeah. I've realized that my reading list is astoundingly white. I need to work on that.

message 40: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I suggest Raksura! ;-)"

Too late.

And I already refused due to Wells hatred, so that's not even nice!

message 41: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments lol

message 42: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

message 43: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Congrats!!

message 44: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Thanks!

message 45: by Beth (new)

Beth (rosewoodpip) Congrats, Colleen!

Now sweep the board and start a new game. ;)

message 46: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Beth wrote: "Congrats, Colleen!

Now sweep the board and start a new game. ;)"

I think we *might* be going a new board soon...