Play Book Tag discussion

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)
This topic is about The Girl Who Played with Fire
April 2018: Strong Women > The Girl Who Played with Fire/Stieg Larsson - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This is the 2nd book in the original Millennium trilogy that started the Nordic Noir movement. This story picks up after about a year after the first book. Mikael Blomkvist is still working at Millennium, and the magazine is working on a special issue about human trafficking. Lisbeth Salander has been traveling the world, but has returned to Sweden. Once again their worlds collide when Lisbeth's guardian ends up dead, but I don't want to say more.

It has been a long time since I read the original book, so I read the graphic novel as a quick reminder. Both books are very meaty, complex, and very graphic --- definitely not for those looking for a cozy mystery. This book was a VERY slow start for me, I think that almost 1/3 of the book could have been left off; however, one of things that are done well are that almost all of the characters (including secondary characters) are multi-dimensional. On the plus side, there was a lo more background on Lisbeth, who is really the star of this series. I did switch to the audio version which was well done. So, if you're in the mood for a gritty mystery with a compelling main character, pick this one up!

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I read the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo I think one or two years ago-and had the same feelings of a VERY SLOW START. But once it kicked into gear, everything was awesome.

I should probably get to the second installment soon, thanks for your review!

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Perfect choice for the tag. So many writers now trying out a tough chick for a hero can help but raise comparisons with Salander.