Play Book Tag discussion

The Nightingale
This topic is about The Nightingale
April 2018: Strong Women > The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah ~ 5 stars and lots of hearts

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 625 comments This book has been reviewed so many times but I just want to say that I loved it as much as so many other people. This will be a brief review.

A family in war-torn France have to survive by any means. Two motherlesss sisters, each with different views on life. They were abandoned by their father at a very young age.....turns out his heart was deeply buried in grief and he just didn't know how to handle it.

One sister fought to save so many, risking her life to do so. As a wife of a military veteran, I found her strength honorable.....she saved so many military men and helped them get back to their families. Many were so thankful of her efforts.

The other sister fought to keep her family together, even when her husband was a war prisoner. As a mom, I also found her strength honorable......she saved 19 Jewish children by saving them from prison camps and keeping them safe.

The father Julian. My heart breaks for him. He was a grieving man who just didn't know what to do for his girls. But in the end, he saved both his girls from death. As a daughter, I watched my own father grieve at the loss of my mother. I know how hard he suffered.

I so loved this book.....I didn't want it to be over.

I only wish that Kristin Hannah would have written a bit more about the post-war relationship between Isabelle & Gaetan.

message 2: by JoLene (last edited Apr 24, 2018 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments This is definitely a favorite among the group. I read this a while back, and I distinctly remember my husband finding me cleaning up the kitchen with tears in my eyes!

message 3: by Karin (last edited Apr 24, 2018 05:02PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karin | 7463 comments Wow, you really liked this! It was a 4 star book for me, but definitely a good read. I'm glad it was such a good read for you :)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments YYEEESSS! I have read Kristin Hannah before and after this book, and I have a sneaking suspicion that this may be the shining jewel of her career.

Her other stuff is fine, I liked Firefly Lane and The Great Alone, but neither gripped me like this one.

Have you read other books by Hannah?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I loved this book. I’m looking forward to reading her newest. She’s a great author.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8418 comments This is one of the best WWII books I have read, it's one of my go-to genres, so that is saying a lot. I will have to check out her other titles.

Ellen | 2316 comments Absolutely loved this and I'm so glad you did too, Joni. I don't ever want to steer you wrong, my friend.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9341 comments I loved it too! I was an early reader of this one. My father recommended it to me and asked me to read it. I just Love that!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6389 comments Only 3 stars from me (sorry book twin Amy) ....

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9341 comments BC reading the Great Alone now. Will be curious to see if we match there as well.