Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Home Fire
This topic is about Home Fire
Archives > Home Fire, by Kamila Shamsie

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Katie | 2362 comments This book is a modern retelling of Antigone, set around a Muslim family in present day Great Britain. I started it yesterday because one of my English major friends from college said it was one of the top 5 books she's read since college. I've torn through it & hope to finish it today. Please other people read it so I have someone to talk to about it.

I'm reading it as a side read because I'm doing a nonfiction challenge, but it could fit the following:
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
8. An Own Voices book
11. A Literary Fiction
14. 4 Elements: Fire
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
47. A book where the main character is a different ethnic origin than you
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists

Lizzy | 743 comments I just added it to my TBR.... will see where I can fit it in. I was just reading about it yesterday re the Women's Prize nominees.

Kathy | 2484 comments This sounds really good. Thanks for listing all the possibilities in the ATY challenge, Katie.

Katie | 2362 comments I finished it today, and it was amazing! The ending was she strong.

Pamela | 1114 comments I'm reading it in 2019 and trying to figure out where it'll fit

message 6: by Hélène (last edited Feb 04, 2019 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hélène | 175 comments It could work with :

4. A book with a criminal character
25. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed (borrowed from the myth of Antigone)
36. A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list (2017)
50. A book that includes a journey

Pamela | 1114 comments Hélène wrote: "It could work with :

4. A book with a criminal character
25. 4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed (borrowed from the myth of Antigone)
36. A book featured on an NPR Be..."

Ooo, great ideas! I need a book for Week 4! Thank you!

Hélène | 175 comments You're welcome! :-)

message 9: by Jody (new) - added it

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I need to add this to my TBR. I *love* the story of Antigone so am very excited about this!

Angela | 390 comments This book is just amazing - very strongly written, complex characters and the plot is just heartbreaking. It’s going to stay with me for a while.