Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
This topic is about Blackwing
Group Reads Discussions > May/June '18 - Blackwing - **BEWARE OF SPOILERS**

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracey the Lizard Queen, First In, Last Out (new) - added it

Tracey the Lizard Queen | 573 comments Mod
Thoughts?

Rick Newland | 12 comments It wasn't what I voted for, but I am still looking forward to reading it. I will be starting in a couple weeks.

message 3: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Grizzle (dzgrizzle) Not familiar with this author, but I'm looking forward to reading Blackwing along with the group. Just downloaded it from Kobo.

message 4: by Al (new) - rated it 5 stars

Al Burke (alburke47) | 21 comments Read and reviewed it a couple of months ago - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 5: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel | 88 comments It was really good! It was very "traditional grimdark", if that makes any sense. The hero, the heroine, the story, the pretty and naive youth that slowly loses his shine, everything was bits and pieces that we've read before. And yet, this was not a bad thing to me. It was as if someone took all the best pieces of my favorite genre and made a new book that was reminiscent of all the things I like in grimdark, but had its own voice at the same time.

Talking about voice, the voice reminded me of Steel, Blood, & Fire, which I also liked a lot.

Zainab | 6 comments I am half way through and so far it is very entertaining. But in a weird way, I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

message 7: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Grizzle (dzgrizzle) I’m intrigued by the world building. The writing style is very engaging. It’s keeping my interest for sure.

Atanas Atanasov | 3 comments I really liked it! For me it was one of those books you can't put down. The world is interesting and I liked the characters. I'll be definately reading the second book.

Veron | 14 comments I loved it. The world was interesting and the monsters were sinister, especially the Darlings. I also liked how the Captain wasn't ashamed to run when the situation called for it. He could hold his tongue when angry and was still brutal at times too. A likeable drunk. The side characters were interesting and well fleshed out.

I listened to the audiobook version and the narrator was excellent. I'll definitely be listening to the next in the series. It was a very enjoyable story.

Swagat | 12 comments I listened to the audiobook version and it was very good. The Gods or powerful beings do not have the well being of humans in their mind. Was it implied the war of Gods is going on on multiple fronts and this was just one of them. I wonder if we will get to see the other agents of the Gods. And the 3rd party that just acquired the powers of a God.

Bogdan | 5 comments Very good ideea and execution. The first book was way better, because it has a lot of things going on or hinted to, when in the second one the tone gets more personal and down to Earth. But, still, a quite enjoyable series until now. I only just hope that the third will raise the stakes again!