On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

One Mississippi
This topic is about One Mississippi
Group Reads: Moderator's Choice > Moderators Choice - June 2018 - One Mississippi

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 4421 comments Mod
I am choosing One Mississippi by Mark Childress for my June selection. It's the beginning of summer, and Childress can be counted on to provide humor while still tackling some pretty deep issues. He was also born in Monroeville, Alabama, and was a neighbor of Harper Lee as a child. A lot of us loved reading Crazy in Alabama a while back, and this book is even more well regarded.

Laura will resume MOD choice in July.

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments The laugh out loud humor in here is an excellent counterpoint to some serious issues. Love this book!

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments Oh, duh - just reiterated Diane exactly!! Sorry.

message 4: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Great choice, Diane! Looking forward to a re-read of this one.

message 5: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great minds and all that, LeAnne!

Vicki | 68 comments I have read other work by Mark Childress so your choice gives me a reason to move my plan to read more of his work to this month. There are so many wonderful books discussed in this group! Thanks for suggesting great reads!

message 7: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks Vicky. This group knows good work when it comes to southern authors.

message 8: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Mathews | 2749 comments Mod
I haven't heard about this one but I loved Crazy in Alabama and am always on the lookout for a good southern humorist.

Tina  | 488 comments Great choice!

message 10: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm about 25% in, and the first chapters had me thinking this was going to be a book about two boys doing stupid things in high school. I wasn't sure I would have the patience for that, but now it has turned into something quite different.

message 11: by L.K. (new)

L.K. Simonds | 18 comments Oh my goodness! Y’all are killing me! I’m way behind and must read faster to get to these books.

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments Diane’s right. This starts out as a coming of age story that charms and pulls you in. But racial tensions, how we identify ourselves as one race or another, and what it feels like to be an outsider are all heart breaking. Steel Magnolias is like this in a vague sort of way - laughter amidst pathos.

message 13: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well, I just finished, and I swear I had no idea AT ALL what this book was about and how it would end, except what was described in the blurb. I couldn't have chosen anything more timely if I had tried. Given that it was published in 2006, and the setting was 1973, it was prophetic.

LA Cantrell | 1324 comments Yep! You chose one that fits current headlines to a tee. Im afraid to comment openly so others will still walk into this unknowing.

The ending is very sobering as are the issues leading up to it, but what kept this from being an intense and dark read was all of the humor. Life is a mixture of tragedy and comedy, truly, and Childress gets that.

Tina  | 488 comments Diane wrote: "Well, I just finished, and I swear I had no idea AT ALL what this book was about and how it would end, except what was described in the blurb. I couldn't have chosen anything more timely if I had t..."

Yes, indeed.