Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Patreon

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelina (last edited Apr 24, 2018 04:28AM) (new)

Angelina Souren (angelinasouren) | 5 comments Hi,

Does anyone here have any positive experiences with Patreon? I read about the site in a newsletter for writers, and it looks great, theoretically lets you interact really well with your fans without there being tons of rules and limitations. I figured it could be a way to make readers head over to Amazon and explore your books.

However, I have done a few searches on the site, found mostly posts from 2014, left a comment here and there, also on later posts, and get zero response.

I have done internet searches as well and saw other people say that you simply have to keep posting, but I get the impression that the site is dead. Is it? What are your thoughts?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never heard of this site. I would contact a few of the creators and see what they have to say.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela Maher (angelajmaher) | 43 comments The vast majority of people, from all creative endeavours, on Patreon make very little money. A few people do well, but unless you have a large fan base, it's probably not worth it. Then again, you never know if YOU will be the next big thing.

message 4: by Angelina (new)

Angelina Souren (angelinasouren) | 5 comments Ah, thanks, Angela, so at least the site isn't dead? At least, that is good to know. If you have several small income streams, of which Patreon provides one, you may still end up with enough. Apparently, you are supposed to keep posting about what you do on Patreon until people start stumbling upon you. But I couldn't even get a response on the profile of a successful author, so yes, Mary, it doesn't seem worth the effort. How long were you on it?

I have been seeing similar trends on other sites, though, such as LinkedIn, with many people seemingly no longer responding or posting much. This thread here, it's actually the first time in a long time that I've been in an active thread.

Are people getting tired of the internet or are they moving on to different media (more visual ones)?

message 5: by Camille (new)

Camille Caliman (camillecalimanauthor) The only time I hear about Patreon is when artists use it. I think that if whatever you're writing is really visual then it wouldn't hurt to post some of the pictures on there. Otherwise, Patreon really isn't for writers I don't think.

Are people getting tired of the internet? That's an interesting concept, I wonder if that would ever happen.

message 6: by Sarina (new)

Sarina Rose (goodreadscomsarinarose) | 4 comments I was introduced to Patreon last weekend by a writer who is making $500 a month. She told of someone she knows who is making 5-6K a month. I checked out the site and I think you have to do some serious marketing to build a fan base and offer a return for the donation: an essay, a short story, housecleaning, baked goods. Whatever you offer should be easily mailed, email or delivered and cost you very little. So for me giving away print books, for instance, is out of the question.

message 7: by Tomas, Wandering dreamer (new)

Tomas Grizzly | 731 comments Mod
I personally think that Patreon is mostly associated with fan art. I saw a lot of people doing digital fan art that are there. I also saw musicians who make covers have a presence there.

In general, I'd say it's for things that are (relatively) quick to create and quick to consume - like images or songs - instead of long-term creation and consumption like books. Fanfic short stories might work as well, maybe.

Again, it's just my personal opinion, I do not use the site, only base this on what I know about those who do.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra Jacob | 42 comments A comedian friend of mine makes money from patreon, but he does it by putting out an ongoing podcast available to everyone, but then secret podcasts only the paying fans get. If people are giving you steady money, they would want a constant return , I think. If you're looking to get help with a bigger project - such as a book you want to write, then could you use something like Kickstarter, then you sell the idea as a one off and people only pay in once to support you. You'd need to have a very persuasive idea though.

Note: I've never used either, so really I'm just guessing