What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 90s YA fiction about a teenage boy whose two best friends (one male, one female) start dating each other

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments A teen fiction book from the 1990s, pretty sure it was a British author. I thought it was one of Pete Johnson's books but I've been through the list and none of them seem to be what I'm looking for.

The main thing I remember is that the main character was a teenage boy who had two best friends, one male and one female. To begin with, they were all platonic friends, although other people at their school thought it was weird that a girl would be best friends with two boys. At some point the other two friends start dating and the main character feels left out. They all remain friends, but it changes the dynamic of the group.

That's all I really remember about the plot. I think the main character made some changes in his life after his friends started dating, maybe looked for a girlfriend or found a new way to spend his free time, or something like that.

Any help appreciated, I realise these details are a bit vague, but hoping it might ring a bell with someone!

message 2: by Tab (last edited Apr 24, 2018 10:48AM) (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 5055 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Location/Time period story takes place?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Hi Tab,

I don't remember anything about the cover sadly.

Not part of a series, I'm pretty sure.

I think the setting was 1990s UK.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Parke | 2 comments Help! I’m looking for a book with a woman with a green dress and red hair on the cover. She switches places with another woman in Italy and falls in love with her husband. The main character is running from nazis in wwii and the place she travels to is Machiavelli’s Italy.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Apr 26, 2018 09:05AM) (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Stephanie, please create a new thread for your request.

1) Instructions & tips - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

2) Form for creating a book request - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/new?c...

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments bump

message 7: by Rachel (new)

message 8: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments This post makes me think of Remembering the Good Times by Richard Peck, but it is not an exact match and Peck is not British.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks Adele, I had a look at the Amazon preview and I don't think this is the book I'm looking for.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

message 11: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments There is Just Friends but this is set in Chicago.

message 12: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments This isn't the one, Adele, but thanks for suggesting it.

message 13: by Tess (new)

Tess | 440 comments This has a female main character and is set in America... but???
The only Alien on the Planet
The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristen D. Randle

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments I don't think I've read this, Tess, but thanks for the suggestion.

message 16: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2502 comments Mod
The Toll Bridge, maybe?

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks for the suggestions, neither of these is what I'm looking for sadly!

message 18: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Could have it been as late as '99?

Every time I see this thread, I think of The Bermudez Triangle, but that's 3 girls and also pubbed too late.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Thanks for the reminder rainbowheart, but it's not The Bermudez Triangle.

message 20: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1226 comments You said you thought it was a Pete Johnson book, but that you went through the list, so I assume you ruled out the Friends Forever series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/2046... These books don't seem to be on the official web page (maybe they are out of print?) so I was concerned you might have missed them when you checked. This series looks like exactly what you are describing.

message 21: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Goguen | 43 comments Is it a series that follows a group of friends? 2 of the group are siblings Zoe and Ben... Ben being blind? And each book follows different character? because one of the books make me think of this, but I can’t reme the name, trying to find it for you... some of the other names the series follows are claire... and I think Luke?

message 22: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Goguen | 43 comments https://www.goodreads.com/series/4057...

Could it be a book from this series?

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1530 comments Adele, I read the Friends Forever series back in the day and remember it very vividly, so I'm pretty sure I can rule it out. The book I'm thinking of was not part of a series and there were only 3 main characters. Good guess though!

Tamara, I also read that Katherine Applegate series but it's not the one I'm thinking of, thanks anyway!