What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Lucie Babbidge's House
This topic is about Lucie Babbidge's House
SOLVED: Children's/YA > young girl at school with dollhouse; jumps between her story and the family of dolls; main character something like lucy babbage /s

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krystal (last edited Jul 27, 2014 04:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Krystal (00krystal) | 132 comments I went to post this book as a suggestion for somebody in another thread in this forum, only to discover that I am apparently misremembering the book's title and therefore cannot find it anywhere.

It was a book from possibly the 80s, could even have been earlier, about a young girl, whose name I swore was something like Lucy Babbage, at a girl's school. She is a quiet loner who has a secret dollhouse at the school. She often hides away to play with her mismatched family of dolls. The story alternates perspective between "Lucy" and her dolls. I remember a new addition to the doll family being a small lima bean that "Lucy" took from her science class and decorated with a little face, creating a new baby for the family.

SPOILERS

Towards the end, one of the "Lucy's" classmates discovers the dollhouse and steals one of the dolls. The perspective of the doll shows this as a kidnapping. We eventually discover that the doll was being kept, I believe, inside the classmate's desk.

END SPOILERS

The book cover was red with a illustration on the front of an ornate old-fashioned room where the little girl is on the floor playing with the dollhouse. As I said, I could have sworn the title of the book was something like "Lucy (or Lucille, Louise, something with an L) Babbage's Dollhouse."

Please help, this is so infuriating. Google and Goodreads searches are absolutely fruitless. Thank you in advance.

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:46PM) (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 203 comments This is Lucie Babbidge's House by Sylvia Cassedy.

Edited to add: No idea where the description of the story at this link is coming from--totally not the description of Lucie Babbidge's House, which I know has the plot you describe above, as I've read it :).

message 4: by Jaye (new) - added it

Jaye  | 366 comments Amanda wrote: "This is Lucie Babbidge's House by Sylvia Cassedy.

Edited to add: No idea where the description of the story at this link is coming from--totally not the description of Lucie Babbidge'..."

The hardcover version has the right description.

message 5: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Ah knew the title sounded familiar (never read but have heard the title before).

Krystal (00krystal) | 132 comments HA I knew I was close on the title, apparently my misspelling was bad enough that not even google could find it. How annoying, normally I only need to get close enough. I blame Charles Babbage who will blow up your search engine if you look for "babbage" lol.

Thank you all so much!