YA Book Addicts discussion

Movies/TV > Adventure Time

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jordyn, Organizer Lieutenant (new)

Jordyn | 2757 comments Mod
This show is....strange

message 2: by Maia (new)

Maia | 25 comments Strange...but good for reasons no one can really explain

message 3: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

electra | 623 comments Mod
I mostly like it because of the female characters (also, the creators had said that there would be queer relationships, but then Cartoon Network would stop airing it because Cartoon Network sucks), and it has some good stuff in it most times, but I stopped watching it at some point and then tried watching it again but now I have no idea what happened and I can't understand anything. So. I have no idea what's going on at the moment.

message 4: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Darcywillow wrote: "Ya if it was on a more appropriate channel I wouldn't have a problem with it but 6 year olds shouldn't watch it it should air with futuroma American dad family guy South Park Simpsons don't get me ..."

I know, right! There are so many Cartoon Network shows that obviously intended to feature queer couples or characters (TOTAL DRAMA, ANYONE?), but they can't because America is dumb.
And I do like that Disney featured a lesbian couple (in Good Luck Charlie, which is the only good show on there), but Disney Channel still did some problematic stuff in its other shows, so I'm not forgiving them that easily.

message 5: by Maia (new)

Maia | 25 comments Ayyy peeps can we just talk about Adventure Time? Controversy over Cartoon Network can be a separate topic...

message 6: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

good call! I bring up too many controversies in this group

message 7: by FangirlNina (new)

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 742 comments Don't worry about it Amee

message 8: by Juliet (new)

Juliet | 245 comments I want to talk about Adventure Time, but I also want to talk about Cartoon Network controversy. I watched Total Drama Island when I was eight years old. I had no problem with it nor did my parents did. I agree now that I looked back, some of the jokes were a bit not appropriate. (In one episode a girl's top got ripped off and she was topless, pixelated of course but still) I was still too young to really understand them and now I know that that show had applied to an older audience. (tweens, teens etc.) Adventure Time, I don't know what the problem is, and Regular Show is a bit more mature but I still love it. (I watch it with my dad all the time) And those shows are a hit! To me they are the best cartoons from CN since the 90's/early 2000's (Surprisingly, I saw a montage of dirty jokes/innuendo from The Powerpuff Girls and I was surprised! It's a lot dirtier than I thought it was! Still, those are things little kids won't get.

message 9: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Yeah, Total Drama always has its inappropriate moments, but it's supposed to parody reality TV, so it makes sense. The reason I love the series is because the characters are so diverse and there are no racist stereotypes that people would usually expect and all of the characters were developed very nicely throughout the series. I mean, i's all-in-all a totally not offensive show; there isn't racism, there isn't any sexism in the portrayal of female characters and it was just... awesome. Its quality diminished somewhat during the fourth and fifth season, but the latest one was pretty good. Also, it was obvious that some of the characters were queer (Noah is gay, Owen is bisexual, I would assume some other characters are too, but those are the most obvious), except they show could never actually say so because otherwise CN would give them a load of crap. And CN has done some nasty stuff before, like stop airing shows because girls started watching them more than boys, which were the intended audience.
Regular Show is surprisingly less inappropriate than it's supposed to be, considering it's about adults (and Total Drama is about 16-year-olds), but it does have some moments, I guess. And it's playing pretty safe, since there aren't really any suggestions of queer relationships I've heard of. But it's pretty safe for kids to watch (as long as they understand some stuff, I guess; and maybe there's some language to consider) If you're not convinced that it's a show for furries (which one of my friends once pointed out the possibility of), that is.
And Powerpuff Girls and other 90's cartoons have a surprising amount of dirty jokes! I guess Cartoon Network didn't really care back then.

message 10: by FangirlNina (new)

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 742 comments How bout we just keep this thread simple...

message 11: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

*looks at my posts* *cringes because they're so long and irrelevant* *sweats nervously* alrighty

message 12: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

*clears throat* I really like Lumpy Space Princess tho

message 13: by FangirlNina (new)

FangirlNina (spocktapus210) | 742 comments I love LSP! I just started watching. I also love Gunter and marceline!

message 14: by Maia (new)

Maia | 25 comments "When I work these lumps, no man is immune to their influence." -LSP

message 15: by electra, Champion of the Challenges (new)

Ahh yes, Marceline is awesome! and lol that quote