Crossing Genres discussion

May 2018 Pick - If We Were Villains

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (papersmile) | 11 comments Mod
The May pick for Crossing Genres book club is If We Were Villains by M L Rio

"Part coming-of-age story, part confession, If We Were Villains explores the magical and dangerous boundary between art and life. In this tale of loyalty and betrayal, madness and ecstasy, the players must choose what roles to play before the curtain falls."

message 2: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sunriseinside) | 3 comments YESSS. So excited to read this!

message 3: by Alistair (last edited May 01, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Alistair | 5 comments I am actually eager to start this, don't know whats come over me?
Usually such a "cold-fish", is this what "excited is?"
Might have to wait until the weekend but I have got the ebook and listened to the audible sample?
ahhh choices? seems excessive to get both?

message 4: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 5 comments Okay, I've started, can see why it's compared to The Secret History it is quite a severe challenge to be judged alongside that book.

message 5: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 5 comments This was good, and although not an expert (or scholar I did like the theatrical students slipping into "Shakespeare speak", sometimes I even (sort-of?) recognized from whence it came?
In the end, I spent my last audible credit on the audio as well, thinking a "theatrical mystery" might benefit from being performed?
There were some "plot weaknesses", not exactly holes but questionable circumstances?
There were parts that stretched if not believability then at least common sense.?
Probably best to go along for the ride and suspend any critical analysis?
As far as star ratings go definitely good (3*) and pushing 4*, but perhaps not quite making it?

message 6: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (papersmile) | 11 comments Mod
I largely feel the same way. Whilst I was reading it, I mentioned to a friend that when I was reading it I was really engrossed and didn't want to put it down, but when I wasn't reading it, it wasn't something I was always thinking about.

Overall I really enjoyed the experience of reading it, but felt as you said there were some very 'questionable' circumstances!