What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Land of Far Beyond: A re-telling of 'The Pilgrim's Progress'
This topic is about The Land of Far Beyond
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's/YA book from 1960s/1970s Christian allegory journey from city with burdens. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Jane | 3 comments A young girl living in a sinful city full of greedy, nasty people does something (can't remember what) to cause her burden to appear in her back. She meets others with the same problem, and they leave the city in a journey to relieve themselves of the packs. Along the way they become nicer people. Mr? is a character who is particularly mean and has a massive burden as a result. They meet 3 women-I think Faith, Hope and Charity, who help them understand what is going on. At the journey's end they are relieved of their burdens if they have become better people. In retrosoect, this is obviously Christian allegory. Read in 1970s.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita (daisydoris) | 23 comments I remember reading this book as a young adult many many years ago but I don't remember title or author. I would also be interested in any results you get. Good luck.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Jane | 3 comments I didn't think it was Enid Blyton, but looking at the synopsis of this book, I think it is. Thank you.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Jane | 3 comments Yes, it definitely is. Have downloaded the Kindle version. A bit 'younger' than I remember!

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 35 comments Rebecca - originally published in 1942