Reading the Church Fathers discussion

Gregory of Nyssa: Life of Moses > Apr. 22: Book II par. 181-190

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nemo (last edited Apr 24, 2018 12:08AM) (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) | 1503 comments The Ascetic Life
187. The skin dyed red and the coverings made of hair, which add to the decoration of the tabernacle, would be perceived respectively as the mortification of the sinful flesh (the figure of which is the skin dyed red) and the ascetic way of life. By these the tabernacle of the church is especially beautified. By nature these skins do not have in themselves a vital power, but they become bright red because of the red dye. This teaches that grace, which flourishes through the Spirit, is not found in men unless they first make themselves dead to sin. Whether or not Scripture signifies by the red dye chaste modesty, I leave for whoever wishes to decide. The woven hair, which produced a fabric rough and hard to the touch, foreshadows the self-control which is rough and consumes the habitual passions.

I think this is where "hair shirt" came from.

message 2: by Nemo (last edited Apr 24, 2018 12:08AM) (new)

Nemo (nemoslibrary) | 1503 comments The Face
181. The ark of the covenant, covered by their wings, should not sound strange to your ears. For it is possible to read the same thing also in Isaiah, where the Prophet speaks in a figure about the wings. The same thing is called the ark of the covenant in one place and in the other place the Face; in the one the ark is covered by the wings, in the other the Face is. It is as though one thing is perceived in both, which suggests to me the incomprehensibility of contemplating the ineffable secrets.

The endnote 233 says "The Jews used 'Face' as a designation of God". But this passage still baffles me.