YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

War Storm (Red Queen, #4)
This topic is about War Storm
BUDDY READ:Paranormal/Fantasy > War Storm (Red Queen #4) by Victoria Aveyard - Restarting November 20th 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

✦ Maica ✦ (maicacruz) | 712 comments VICTORY COMES AT A PRICE.

Mare Barrow learned this all too well when Cal’s betrayal nearly destroyed her. Now determined to protect her heart—and secure freedom for Reds and newbloods like her—Mare resolves to overthrow the kingdom of Norta once and for all… starting with the crown on Maven’s head.

But no battle is won alone, and before the Reds may rise as one, Mare must side with the boy who broke her heart in order to defeat the boy who almost broke her. Cal’s powerful Silver allies, alongside Mare and the Scarlet Guard, prove a formidable force. But Maven is driven by an obsession so deep, he will stop at nothing to have Mare as his own again, even if it means demolishing everything—and everyone—in his path.

War is coming, and all Mare has fought for hangs in the balance. Will victory be enough to topple the Silver kingdoms? Or will the little lightning girl be forever silenced?

In the epic conclusion to Victoria Aveyard’s stunning series, Mare must embrace her fate and summon all her power… for all will be tested, but not all will survive.

message 2: by Lara (last edited May 15, 2018 12:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara (Bookish_turtle) | 833 comments I'm so excited to be reading this!

Chapter 15: (view spoiler)

Lara (Bookish_turtle) | 833 comments Chapter 19: (view spoiler)

Lara (Bookish_turtle) | 833 comments Epilogue thoughts: (view spoiler)

Lara (Bookish_turtle) | 833 comments Overall: I loved it all the whole way through right until (view spoiler)

Read my full review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Natalie | 9 comments I'm not sure why, but Evangeline kind of reminds me of Katniss from Hunger Games. It's weird, but she just does. Haha, anyone else think so?

Lara (Bookish_turtle) | 833 comments Nate wrote: "I'm not sure why, but Evangeline kind of reminds me of Katniss from Hunger Games. It's weird, but she just does. Haha, anyone else think so?"

I can see the similarities, but I think I prefer Evangeline! (A bit controversial, but Evangeline is just so incredible!)

message 8: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments *****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 10th of September 2018

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 9: by Tayla (new) - added it

Tayla Potayta (potaytaspages) | 3112 comments I’m in!

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Chapters 1-4

(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Chapters 5-9

(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Chapters 10-23

(view spoiler)

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Finished

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 27856 comments **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Reading from the 6th of January 2019

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 15: by Ryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments Checking in. Going to start this one today.

message 16: by Ryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments So it's taken me this long to report in because seriously, this book is so incredibly boring that I keep falling asleep.

To Chapter 9

So we appear to have three perspectives, which I had an issue with in the last book because it came out of nowhere but hopefully it will work better in this story. Evangeline and Iris both seem to be relatively interesting characters, and (as much as I like anyone) I can't help liking Evangeline. She's a jerk but at least she's honest about it. Still not really sure why Mare is unable to grasp the concept of (view spoiler)

message 17: by Ryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments 10 - 20

The perspective thing seems to be working well. It's relatively consistent. My biggest problem with it honestly is that I'm having trouble keeping everyone straight. The voices aren't different enough for me to realize immediately whose head I'm in unless I go back and check the chapter titles. Plus I'm having a really hard time keeping straight who is on whose side and who is fighting for what and who has doublecrossed whom. Usually I don't mind war in a fantasy, but this book just feels like battle and strategy. I'm vaguely interested in who will win, and obviously (view spoiler)

message 18: by Ryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments 20 - 28

Boredom, boredom and more boredom. This story just winds and twists around itself in a morass of confusion. No one knows what to do so we all sit around befuddled for pages and pages of pointless, redundant conversation.

(view spoiler)

I wish this story would actually DO something. Six hundred pages of waffling. It reminds me of the first Star Trek movie where we watch 90 minutes of the ship flying in slo-mo through space and then have about 7 minutes of actual story at the end.

message 19: by Ryn (new) - rated it 1 star

Ryn Lewis | 942 comments to finish

Seriously, Aveyard? Over six hundred pages and you can't actually wrap this story up but leave it hanging? I'm so much more than annoyed right now.

But mostly just glad this slog is over. Sloppy perspective again which serves no purpose. The battle was interesting. The whole thing between Mare and Cal is just (view spoiler)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85740 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting April 8th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 21: by Maddie (last edited May 18, 2019 03:08PM) (new) - added it

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48942 comments Mod
Does anyone have to read King's Cage first? Because I have to read it again

Date changed. Restarting May 27th AND June 3rd 2019. Happy Reading ☺

Date changed. Restarting August 15th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 9068 comments Started this a few days early since I got the audio and it’ll probably take me all month to finish lol

Chapters 1-3
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10829 comments chapters 1-9 (view spoiler)

message 26: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10829 comments chapters 10-19 (view spoiler)

message 27: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10829 comments chapters 20-26 (view spoiler)

message 28: by Aly (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aly (alyp_01) | 10829 comments finished (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 1617 comments 28% (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 1617 comments 50% (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 1617 comments 78% (view spoiler)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 1617 comments 100% Finished
So I enjoyed this final installment of the Red Queen series. I liked how the MCs ended up, and am hopeful that Cal and the lightning girl will find themselves again. The beginning was a little slow for me, with a lot of war going on - but then again, the book is called "War Storm" so what was I expecting?!?

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 9068 comments 40% (view spoiler)
56% (view spoiler)

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 9068 comments 66% (view spoiler)
75% (view spoiler)
Finished (view spoiler)

message 35: by ❀ Crystal ✿ - (last edited Aug 31, 2019 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

❀ Crystal ✿ -  PEACE ☮ LOVE ♥ BOOKS  (crystaldc18) | 9068 comments Aly wrote: "finished [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting November 20th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Danique van Dijk (daniquevdijk_) | 5149 comments Mod
I'm quite sad that I didn't start reading the last one as soon as I finished King's Cage, because I'm totally out of it now.. I do remember I was heartbroken last book, but I do hope everything will be okay soon :(

Chapter 3
(view spoiler)

Chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Seriously, I'm going to kill Aveyard if they don't end up together in the end

Sofia Danique wrote: "I'm quite sad that I didn't start reading the last one as soon as I finished King's Cage, because I'm totally out of it now.. I do remember I was heartbroken last book, but I do hope everything wil..."

Same Danique!! I didn't realize there was a 4th book until very recently, and I read the 3rd in June, so it's taking me a while to remember what is happening.

Sofia 17% - (view spoiler)

Sofia wrote: "Danique wrote: "I'm quite sad that I didn't start reading the last one as soon as I finished King's Cage, because I'm totally out of it now.. I do remember I was heartbroken last book, but I do hop..."

Ahh exactly that!

Sofia wrote: "17% - [spoilers removed]"

I get that! I probably just need to get used to it, it's just that I want to see Mare and Cal together hihi. I just didn't remember Iris, but reading from her was quite interesting! I think she's going to be one to watch ;)
I love Kilorn too! I really thought they would get together in the first few books :) Although I still like Cal a lot. I somehow also feel like Cal will die or something and she will actually end up with Kilorn..
Wow that's such a good observation!! I love the geography geekiness haha :)

I'm trying to read in my school breaks, but I don't have a lot of time today :(
(view spoiler)

Sofia Danique wrote: "I'm trying to read in my school breaks, but I don't have a lot of time today :(
[spoilers removed]"

Same! (view spoiler)

Btw, Thanksgiving break starts tomorrow for me, so I'll get to catch up on a lot of reading soon!

Sofia wrote: "Danique wrote: "I'm trying to read in my school breaks, but I don't have a lot of time today :(
[spoilers removed]"

Same! [spoilers removed]

Btw, Thanksgiving break starts tomorrow for me, so I'l..."

Ahhh that sounds great! I only have a christmas break starting the 21st of December, and I have summer break but that's all the vacations I have in a year :((

Chapter 6
(view spoiler)

Sofia 30%
(view spoiler)

Sofia 60%
(view spoiler)

« previous 1