What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Moon Flower
This topic is about Moon Flower
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical Romance - New Orleans/South/Hero has mistress/Heroine from North. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vanessa | 5 comments This is a steamy romance novel (in the more epic range) that probably came out prior to 2000. It features a hero from New Orleans (I think, def Louisiana) who finds himself attracted to a Northern woman. He marries her and brings her home (or maybe she's visiting New Orleans and then he marries her right there)? Anyway, at first she is really over the moon over him but things fall apart because she finds out he thinks it's normal to have a mistress, someone he basically 'hired' at a ball when he was like 18 - I think she (the mistress) is described in the book as a quadroon or octoroon and there is some description, probably rather dated, about ways that Louisianans classified people by race at that time. Hero has a daughter with the mistress. I don't think any of the above is a spoiler.

SPOILERS AHEAD

So anyway somehow they get separated- probably something to do with the Civil War. Hero and heroine have lots of adventures. She is at some point nearly(?) raped by bandits on the road. At some point they re-connect - - he's starting to build a ranch in Texas(?) and has learned a lot about what his wife means to him. They also take in the daughter of the mistress who has somehow died or found a new lover.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Vanessa, can you tell us more about the heroine - her family/friends, rich/poor, how she meets the hero, where's she from, love/hate at first sight, why they marry, etc.?

Vanessa | 5 comments She is from the north of the United States maybe Boston or New York, but maybe another city. I think he Creole and I think has a French name. The couple are married almost from the beginning. I think he brings her back from the North as his bride so she is isolated, away. He wants her from the start and I think she quickly falls in love but is later disillusioned. I think part of the story occurs when both are separated/traveling. I think some of the story may take place over years rather than days. I’m not positive though.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
It sounds a bit like it was taken from the early life of Rachel Jackson wife of Andrew Jackson the 7th POTUS. But it kind of veers away from it after the discovery and disillusionment.

I have no idea what your book is Vanessa, but I think I'll read it when it's found, just to see how closely it follows Rachel Jackson's life. . .

Vanessa | 5 comments Wow, that’s cool - well it’s definitely a fictional bodice ripper.

Vanessa | 5 comments I remembered! It's Moon Flower by Shirl Henke.

Vanessa | 5 comments The summary for the book on Goodreads isn't very good, but one of the reviews has an excellent description. It was published in 1989. It was key for me to google the world "Yankee" and that made it easier to find... My description was pretty much spot-on, which made me proud.

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Vanessa. Thanks for the update.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Moon Flower (other topics)