Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Emmuska Orczy - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments This centers around the reign of terror after the French Revolution where the aristocrats where rounded up and executed in the late 1700s. There is a British man, known only as the Scarlet Pimpernel who is somehow rescuing these condemned aristocrats and taking them to safety in Britain. The Revoluionists want the Scarlet Pimpernel caught and killed, and they go about this by blackmailing a French wife of a British nobleman into helping uncover the identity of the Scarlet Pimpernel.

This was originally written as a play in the early 1900s and was successful. Then it was turned into a book and it read as though. There is not much detail to surroundings and characters are not introduced very well. I was lost at the beginning of the book and had to read the summary on wikipedia (just up to the point of what I've read) to catch up and then the story was much easier to follow after having that foundation. The book felt to be in scenes rather than of a continuous flow.

However, I did enjoy the story once I understood what was going on and who was who. Very fun story. The Scarlet Pimpernel also was a driving force into other anonymous vigilantes such as Batman, Superman, The Shadow, and Zorro. (the original Batman was nothing like we know of him today. He was more of a detective)

I will get around to the rest in the series as a fun and interesting read.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9367 comments Once I saw this in the form of a musical. My husband and I went almost 20 years ago in Hartford Connecticut with my mother-in-law. I can still hear the tones of the song the Scarlett Pimpernel.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I want to see it now. I like plays but my only option is the high school plays.