Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Living on the Black - John Feinstein - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments I learned something new with this book. In baseball, a pitcher is referred to as living on the black because the edges of home plate in outlined in black. My plates never had black so I never knew that is where the term came from.

Living on the Black follows Tom Glavine and Mike Mussina, two of the best and most consistent pitchers in the game during the 2007 season.

Glavine and Mussia have some great similarities. At this point in their career, they both throw in the 90s or lower (considered soft in major league baseball) both have moved on from their original teams. Both play in New York. Both are union representative for their teams, including during the 94/95 strike. Both have a great understanding of the game. Both are at the ends of their career. Both grew up playing many sports and baseball was not their first sport of choice.

But they also have many differences. Glavine was drafted directly out of high school. Mussina went to college. Glavine plays for the Mets, Mussina for the Yankees. Glavine has a chance for his 300th win during the 2007 season, Mussina is going for 250. Glavine has always been a soft thrower, Mussina velocity has decreased with age and is learning to Live on the Black. Their personality is completely different, Glavine outgoing and always willing to speak to the media. Mussina very quite, reserved, sarcastic sense of humor.

I loved the premise of this book and did enjoy reading it. I didn't like how their stories bounced back and forth. I wish it was more divided. The descriptions of the games became monotonous and boring. It could have been done much better.

Overall, I enjoyed learning the inside of pitching and what goes on during a season during the ups and downs and even during injuries. Great book for a baseball fan.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9348 comments We’re all about baseball these days! We have about four games a week and three practices. Always two games on Sundays. This is a sport that can be incredibly gripping for many. Dare I️ admit that I️ always have a book with me on the sidelines?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments That's a lot of baseball, especially for one who is not entranced by it. A book on the sideline is a-okay.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Sadly I’m not a baseball fan but great review. Took me back to my brothers baseball games. So many... I was on the sidelines reading but learned when to scream and cheer on my brother without taking my eyes from my book.:)

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9348 comments Lol Rachel!