WoTaLong (Wheel of Time Readalong) discussion

The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
This topic is about The Shadow Rising
The Shadow Rising > Apr Week 4: Ch 46-58 Spoiler Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (bedtimebookworm) | 124 comments Mod
Remember these are spoilery discussions - so stay away unless you've finished this section! Also, please keep spoilers to the things we know in this section of the book.

What are your thoughts on this section of The Shadow Rising?

Need a reminder? Here are the chapter summaries.

Favorite parts: The final battle in Emond's Field is my favorite, of course! I love Perrin "tricking" Faile to leave and then she ends up saving their butts. Oh, and Nynaeve's battle with Moghedien is one of the most memorable battles of the series for me. So much good stuff packed into this last quarter!

Happy reading!

Scott Flicker | 107 comments The amount of stories to follow seems to really increase in this book.

One thing I may have not got earlier was the man who call himself bors from the darkfriend masquerade ball in book 2 is Jaichim Carridin of the whitecloaks

Scott Flicker | 107 comments I loved the ending. Nynaeve vs Moghedien then Perrin and the two rivers almost destroyed by Trollocs but rescued by faile. Then Rand vs Couladin then Rand vs Asmodean. All were great my favorite part was when it started raining in the waste.

message 4: by Donald (new)

Donald Trail | 34 comments Scott wrote: "I loved the ending. Nynaeve vs Moghedien then Perrin and the two rivers almost destroyed by Trollocs but rescued by faile. Then Rand vs Couladin then Rand vs Asmodean. All were great my favorite pa..."

That battle between Nyneave and Moghedien was epic. Especially the part where Nyneave smacks her in the face to win. I mean it's just brilliant!

The battle between Rand and Asmodean was not as good in my opinion. I'm not sure why, but I just didn't enjoy it as much.

Also... I really don't know what to think of Lanfear. She has helped Rand a lot so far. It's interesting how each of the forsaken embody a different type of evil. Each joined the Dark One due to specific character flaws. Lanfear desired power... I think this would drive her to eventually fight with Rand even if he followed her plan.

message 5: by Donald (new)

Donald Trail | 34 comments Scott wrote: "The amount of stories to follow seems to really increase in this book. .."

If memory serves me correctly... the number of stories to follow got to a point where I struggled in later books. I had a good memory back then, but with a year or two between books, I would have to read summaries of previous books to keep up.

I remember specifically feeling like Jordan got lost in his own plot. However the books were always enjoyable.

Scott Flicker | 107 comments Lanfear seems in a way like Darth Vader from the original Star Wars trilogy. Always trying to get Luke to join him to overthrow the Emperor and rule the Galaxy. Lanfear seems to be trying the same thing with Rand. The Dark One is doing the same as well trying to get Rand to join him to overthrow the creator. Maybe there is a name for this type of plot.

Jade (Bedtime Bookworm) (bedtimebookworm) | 124 comments Mod
I agree that the number of story lines to keep track of gets overwhelming. It helps to read them close together instead of years between books like when they were still being released. I also think that some of the more minor story lines don't need to be followed in great detail if it's too much - you can enjoy those more on rereads! That's how I look at it at least, but I know not everyone will want to reread the series as much as some people.

Scott Flicker | 107 comments I’m trying to focus more on some of the minors characters especially ones that pop up multiple times either directly or indirectly through references. Since this is a reread for me. Also some characters sort of have multiple names/titles/ so it can be challenging to follow some