Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments For the first time in something like 20 years, I've submitted a short story to Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. My wife and I think it's a pretty good story. I'll let you know what happens.

message 2: by Carole (new)

Carole P. Roman | 4635 comments Mod
Fingers crossed.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Fingers, toes, and paws crossed here, Dale. Hugs

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Graham (erica_graham) | 1496 comments Mod
Good luck, Dale! Keep us posted.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1182 comments I echo the others, though I can't manage the paws. Or crossed toes, come to think of it.

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments We’ll cross things here too.

message 7: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Thanks everyone! Just remember not to cross digits and drive . . . or type. Either one can be dangerous. ;-)

message 8: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Got the rejection this morning. I plan on sending it to F&SF next, and then Analog if necessary, before moving on to lesser venues.

message 9: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Um congratulations on trying another one? There ought to be something to say other than better luck next time!

message 10: by Carole (new)

All it takes is one 'yes.'

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1182 comments Keep going...

message 12: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments D.J. wrote: "Um congratulations on trying another one? There ought to be something to say other than better luck next time!"

Thank you. All one can do is try, try again.

message 13: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Carole wrote: "All it takes is one 'yes.'"

Indeed.

message 14: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Keep going..."

Doing so, thanks!

message 15: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1430 comments Every "no" is one step closer to a "yes." Good luck, Dale.

message 16: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Theodore wrote: "Every "no" is one step closer to a "yes." Good luck, Dale."

Thanks!

message 17: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Rejected by F&SF. Submitted to Analog. I'll have to look into lesser venues when they (probably) reject it.

I rather liked the online submission and tracking system F&SF uses. They show you not only the status of your submission but it's number in your queue. When I submitted it , my position was over 500. It looks like they're burning through 70 or more manuscripts a day.

Which makes very graphic something we all know: why it's so hard to sell anything to a major publication

message 18: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I'm going with superficially. I'm of the opinion major places don't have the time to look at things in detail. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.

message 19: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Exactly. But this is a reason why we self-publish. I wave my hand in a dismissive fashion at publishing houses for their lack of vision. Meh.

message 20: by Carole (new)

I'm working with a publisher now- It's not fun. I keep turning in what they ask for and they respond- no, that's not what we wanted, we wanted this...
I don't wonder why they don't do it themselves if they are so sure about what they want.

message 21: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Lol. I had that experience. They sent a list of things they wanted. I executed their list to the best of my ability and still didn’t get it right.

message 22: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments But bear in mind that this is a short story, not a book, so it does have to grab the reader in the first paragraph or two. The main thing is that the competition is so fierce and the readers/editors probably so jaded that they may well be harder to grab than the average reader. It can also just be a matter of taste. Some stories they publish don't particularly grab me, but obviously did grab them.

Worst case, I know an editor who already said she'd publish it. And I'm married to her. ;-) But I'd need enough material to fill a book, and I'm not sure I'm entirely there. I only have about half the number of flash fiction stories Ted has put into his books, although I have some longer short stories I could also include. But I'd want a minimum of 70,000 words. I tend to think in terms of 70,000 - 100,000 as being ideal book length. But that's just me.

message 23: by Theodore (last edited May 10, 2018 08:07AM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1430 comments Dale wrote: "But bear in mind that this is a short story, not a book, so it does have to grab the reader in the first paragraph or two. The main thing is that the competition is so fierce and the readers/editor..."

The Kindle edition of Creative Ink, Flashy Fiction - Book 6 in my Flash Fiction Anthology series just went on pre-sale (it will be released August 5, 2018). Taken together, the six books comprise 438 stories (110,000 words), each prompted by a photograph (color photographs in the Kindle edition).

message 24: by Dale (last edited May 10, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Theodore wrote: "The Kindle edition of Creative Ink, Flashy Fiction - Book 6 in my Flash Fiction Anthology series just went on pre-sale (it will be released August 5, 2018). Taken together, the six books comprise 438 stories (110,000 words), each prompted by a photograph (color photographs in the Kindle edition). "

My, you've been busy! I should probably clarify that I meant I only have half as many stories as you put into a single book (not your whole series).

The above numbers work out to 73 stories and about 18,300 words per book on average. Maybe with that many stories, a shorter collection would seem full. 18,000 words falls into novelette length, which would be far too short for a printed book. For an ebook, maybe not. I dunno . . .

message 25: by Theodore (last edited May 10, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1430 comments Dale wrote: "Theodore wrote: "The Kindle edition of Creative Ink, Flashy Fiction - Book 6 in my Flash Fiction Anthology series just went on pre-sale (it will be released August 5, 2018). Taken together, the six..."

EXACTLY 73 stores per book and up to 250 words per story--some less, none more--plus A Word from the Author, footnotes, and endnotes, as required. Each paperback runs 178-182 pages, including front matter (Roman-numbered pages). Don't forget that on the facing (even-numbered) page there's a photo prompt. Virtually all genres are covered with the exception of classic Science Fiction. I can't warp my head around that. Examples of stories from each book are on my Website:

https://www.theodore-cohen-novels.com/

message 26: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments So I guess that's about 2 to 3 pages per story with the photo?

message 27: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1430 comments Dale wrote: "So I guess that's about 2 to 3 pages per story with the photo?"

Every story comprises two pages: the photo is on the left, the story on the right. No exceptions. There is front matter, as I said, as well as endnotes providing additional research on a story (as applicable), some backstories, and so forth, plus biographies.

message 28: by Dale (new)

Dale Lehman (dalelehman) | 1764 comments Got it, thanks. Sounds like you've added a substantial amount of material, then. Just curious, because I'm thinking of assembling a collection at some point, but I don't want it to be too "thin." I may mix in some of my other longer short stories.

message 29: by Theodore (new)

Theodore Cohen (theodorejeromecohen) | 1430 comments Dale wrote: "Got it, thanks. Sounds like you've added a substantial amount of material, then. Just curious, because I'm thinking of assembling a collection at some point, but I don't want it to be too "thin." I..."

Okay...there's no set formula, I guess. Good luck.

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread