Pakistani Readers discussion

Recommendations > Book recommendations

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Salam all,

I hope everyone is great! Just wondering if anyone could recommend me some books by Pakistani authors? I’m trying to read more.

Thanks,
Nabila

message 2: by Uzair (new)

Uzair | 1149 comments Urdu or English?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

English. I can’t read Urdu, although I am learning!

message 4: by Shahmir (new)

Shahmir Afzal (theaveragerush) | 26 comments Series work?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I don’t mind reading a series

message 6: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi | 741 comments Karachi you're Killing me
Moth Smoke

these are the only ones I have read, but they are good.

And read Khaled Hosseini
Although he is not Pakistani but his books resonate a lot of Pakistani culture because he is Afghani.

message 7: by Bilal (new)

Bilal Taibzada | 483 comments Elsa wrote: "Karachi you're Killing me
Moth Smoke

And read Khaled Hosseini
Although he is not Pakistani but his books resonate a lot of Pakistani cult..."

do you have kite runners in Afghanistan,no you don't

the only people who do that stuff are the poor children

he kinda exaggerated the whole concept
A LOT

ask anyone who lives Afghanistan

the story is good though

and as for the culture
ummmmm....I don't think so

I probably know more about afghan culture than him

he researched about afghan culture all the way from califoria

and hes only been to Afghanistan once in the last 25 years

so if you want to learn about the culture don't bother reading

but....

if your into the story

than its pretty good

message 8: by Bilal (new)

Bilal Taibzada | 483 comments @ ELSA

It's not Afghani

It's Afghan

Afghani is the currency

message 9: by Shahmir (new)

Shahmir Afzal (theaveragerush) | 26 comments Nabila wrote: "I don’t mind reading a series"

Go for The Inheritance Cycle then. The first book is Eragon. Christopher Paolini is the author.

message 10: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi | 741 comments Bilal wrote: "Elsa wrote: "Karachi you're Killing me
Moth Smoke

And read Khaled Hosseini
Although he is not Pakistani but his books resonate a lot of P..."

People do kite fights here in Pakistan. And fictional books don't need to be accurate.

What language is spoken there? -yes I am ignorant af-

message 11: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi | 741 comments Shahmir wrote: "Nabila wrote: "I don’t mind reading a series"

Go for The Inheritance Cycle then. The first book is Eragon. Christopher Paolini is the author."

OMG OMG OMG I don't know you but I like you. If you recommend Eragon then you are cool. yay.

message 12: by Bilal (last edited Apr 28, 2018 07:25AM) (new)

Bilal Taibzada | 483 comments Elsa wrote: "Bilal wrote: "Elsa wrote: "Karachi you're Killing me
Moth Smoke

And read Khaled Hosseini
Although he is not Pakistani but his books reson..."

some basic things about Afghanistan
1- the word Afghanistan is derived from the Persian words afghan and istan,afghan means Pushtun(what you guys call Pathan) and istan means land,so Afghanistan means the land of pushtoons

2-The national language originally was Pushtu but now it is both Pushtu and Dari

3-40% of the people are pushtoons but most of the nation speaks Dari

4-there are 4 main types/groups of people in Afghanistan
Afghan
Tajik
Uzbek
qizilbash

5-The groups of people have been having conflict since 100 of years

6-In Afghanistan the hazarewal or hazara people are not liked as the majority are shia

7-Afghanistan separates Pakistan from Tajikistan through a piece of land called wakhan strip or wakhan corridor

8-the wakhan corridor also is the border between china and Afghanistan

9- Afghanistan is a landlocked country and does transit trade with Pakistan ,Tajikistan and Iran

10- According to history Afghanistan has never been captured or dominated completely by anyone else accept Alexander the great

11-the worlds biggest treasure is supposed to be in Afghanistan

12-afghanistan has two national jewels
the Kohinoor:
this jewel was dug in subcontinent but the afghan government had it in their possession it was later stolen in the 17th century and was brought to subcontinent by the British then it was taken to a museum in London(i guess?)it is the worlds largest diamond

and I don't know the other one

13-afgahnistan wasn't called Afghanistan, 200 years ago
it was khurasan
and before that Aryana

14-koh e sufaid or spin ghar is one of the largest mountains in Afghanistan

15-afghanistan has been in conflict with the following countries for the last 80 years
Russia:
russia is probably the only country Afghanistan actually fought a war against and it was after this that the concept of Taliban started

Britain:
Afghanistan had fought a war with great Britain (united kingdom) in the 18th century in which Britain actually got hold of the government for a short period

Pakistan:
from the start of this new country, Afghanistan had disputes with Pakistan.and they hadn't actually fought until two years ago and its still going on(they are small fights breaking out)

Iran:
Afghanistan hates Iran because of the trouble it has cost Afghanistan

friendlier countries:

Turkey:
Turkey is Afghanistan's best friend as they've never had fights or big arguments in the last 100 years

Tajikistan,Uzbekistan and Kirghistan:
nothing with them either

message 13: by Bilal (new)

Bilal Taibzada | 483 comments Elsa wrote: "Bilal wrote: "Elsa wrote: "Karachi you're Killing me
Moth Smoke

And read Khaled Hosseini
Although he is not Pakistani but his books reson..."

no they do have fights over there too

but the whole concept of winning was kinda exaggerated

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I have read The Kite Runner, but I have yet to read And The Mountains Echoed - it’s been on my shelf for a while!

I’ve read Moth Smoke - although it taught me a lot about a side of Pakistan I wasn’t aware of, I wasn’t the biggest fan...perhaps I need to read more of the writer’s work...

I will check out the series!

Thank you :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

*check out the series

message 16: by Shahmir (new)

Shahmir Afzal (theaveragerush) | 26 comments Elsa wrote: "Shahmir wrote: "Nabila wrote: "I don’t mind reading a series"

Go for The Inheritance Cycle then. The first book is Eragon. Christopher Paolini is the author."

OMG OMG OMG I don't know you but I l..."

@Elsa That means you've read all of them too! :O You should go for " malazan book of the fallen " . It's on par with A song of Ice and fire.

message 17: by Shahmir (new)

Shahmir Afzal (theaveragerush) | 26 comments Nabila wrote: "Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

I have read The Kite Runner, but I have yet to read And The Mountains Echoed - it’s been on my shelf for a while!

I’ve read Moth Smoke - although it tau..."

ERAGON

message 18: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi | 741 comments Shahmir wrote: "Elsa wrote: "Shahmir wrote: "Nabila wrote: "I don’t mind reading a series"

OMG OMG OMG I don't kno..."

I haven't read them all -sad puppy face-

message 19: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi | 741 comments I loved Eragon, then the second one kinda messed up things for me. At the end of Eldest the thing with Murtagh is keeping me from reading the book. I love Murtagh so muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

message 20: by Shahmir (new)

Shahmir Afzal (theaveragerush) | 26 comments @Elsa Do it, don't worry. 😂😂😂 Main character is Eragon. : P

message 21: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi | 741 comments i don't like Eragon though. That is the problem.

my review for the second book

message 22: by Sara (new)

Sara Saif | 630 comments Assalam-o-Alaikum!
This is a request to read a short Urdu book by a budding writer. It's called "Uff Yeh Larki". It doesn't promise you anything different or that it'll blow your mind but it's a quick and light read and a good effort by a first time Pakistani author. So, help her out, maybe? Read and leave a review if you can.
Here's the link to the pdf file:
https://www.sarbakaf.com/2018/04/uff-...
Bohat Shukriya.

message 23: by Uzair (new)

Uzair | 1149 comments If we're not buying the book then how are we supporting the author?
Through reviews?

message 24: by Shahmir (new)

Shahmir Afzal (theaveragerush) | 26 comments Elsa wrote: "i don't like Eragon though. That is the problem.

my review for the second book "

Trust me Else, continue. e.e

message 25: by Qaiser (new)

Qaiser Altaf (qaiseraltaf) | 37 comments Try these ,
Ice candy man,
Salt and saffron ,
A case of exploding mangoes,
Moth smoke,
The crow eaters
Peer kamil (English translation)

message 26: by Elsa (new)

Elsa Qazi | 741 comments Shahmir wrote: "Elsa wrote: "i don't like Eragon though. That is the problem.

my review for the second book "

Trust me Else, continue. e.e"

I will go on a book shopping spree after exams and plan to buy both the last parts

message 27: by Rohaan (new)

Rohaan | 22 comments The Wandering Falcon by Jameel Ahmed!!

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

The weary generations by Abdullah hussain. It is an English translation of "Udass naslain".

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2018 01:18PM) (new)

Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith. I read it about once a year. I can't put my finger on why this book is so special to me. I can just relate to it a lot on an emotional level and it hits like a punch to the guts. The setting and plot are amazing and the emotional impact of the journey towards the end is sometimes too much for me. I can relate to it as a metaphor for my own life, like good fiction is supposed to I guess.

Another great book in the same vein that I've re-read over the years and love on a visceral level is Amnesia Moon by Jonathan Lethem.

message 30: by Hamza (new)

Hamza | 184 comments Try

Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid
My Feudal Lord by Tehmina Durrani
The Indus Saga by Aitazaz Ahsen ( not a novel though)

then there s a series of
"Air Pockets" by PAF Book Club
if you have any Armed forces background or any interest in PAF, you would find it amazing ... its a history of PAF through anecdotes ... fun to read ..

message 31: by Iqra (new)

Iqra (iqrazafar) | 13 comments You can read any book of Mohsin Hamid or Kamila Shamsie.