Fringe Fiction discussion

Fringe Fiction General Chat > 50 Shades more...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark So I was browsing the top paid books in Amazon and noticed that 50 Shades of Grey is back at number 1. I assume this is in anticipation of the movie being released.

While I admit that I'm not a fan of the writing (I got about eighty pages into the first book) and am not a fan of the genre (erotica just doesn't do anything for me) I have to give it up for E.L. James--that woman can sell some damn books.

The only thing that even comes close in my recent memory is Harry Potter and I think E.L. James deserves even more credit because she came directly from the indie ranks.

So I just wanted to take a minute and give a hand to E.L. James for being a book-selling powerhouse.

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Also, I forgot to add that I'm glad her book is reasonable priced at $4.99. I get a little prickly when publishers expect us to pay $12.99 and $14.99 for e-books. Seriously? Publishers make incredible profits on these e-books and they only jack-up the prices to protect print books.

So I respect that E.L. James is sticking to her indie roots and making her book a reasonable $4.99

message 3: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Mark, I appreciate what you're doing, it's a nice sentiment, but EL James was never self-published. She was published with an ebook company that publishes derrivative works, former fanfictions. An author published with any kind of publisher has absolutely no control over book prices.

Also, I'm not sure where you're getting 4.99 from. I just did a quick search on Amazon.com and the lowest price for the Kindle that I could find was 11.72 USD.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-Gr...

I hate to disagree with you Lily, but E.L. James started her story as Twilight Fanfiction on several fanfiction sites. Later, she removed it from those sites and published it on her own website. I don't think you can get more self-published than that.

I agree that she used The Writers' Coffee Shop in 2011 and that would count as a small-press in my book, but I think she came out of the indie tradition. That's just my opinion. I admit that it's probably open for debate.

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) It says 11.72 on my end.

message 6: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) She probably hasn't updated the price to match the conversion across the world. It's $4.99 USD.

message 7: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Seriously, not making this up, authors who aren't self-published have no control over prices. Thank Amazon for illegally violating my ISP and refusing to show the real price in USD just because my ISP is located in Canada.

message 8: by Gem (last edited Jul 27, 2014 02:53PM) (new)

Gem Larkspur (gemsl) | 64 comments Fifty Shades of Grey kindle version is published by Random House in the USA and is priced at $4.99. Kindle Books 2 & 3 are each $7.99 although you can get the three as a 'boxed set' for $14.99.

I think it's a pretty classic 'loss leader' price to attract new readers. The paperback is priced at $8.97 which is half of list. For that, there's no way to know how much is Random House and how much is Amazon. Amazon takes all sorts of discounts off Createspace list prices without asking the author or publisher.

No idea where Amazon is coming up with 11.72 in Canada. Even at the $7.99 price, it wouldn't convert to more than $8.65-8.75.

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) description

message 10: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) 'This price was set by the publisher'? Really?

That doesn't show on the USA site. Is this part of the ongoing warfare between the Big 5 and Amazon?

message 11: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) Oh, and it definitely looks like Lily is correct, whatever's going on, EL James doesn't have a say in it.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark I agree, the 4.99 price is probably part of a discount that Amazon has decided to run for the book in the U.S. market. So it's just another shot across the bow in this price war.

Wow, I think by working together we all just noticed something that the general public never would have.

I wonder what Random House is thinking?

message 13: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Sad, isn't it? Thank god for screencaptures lol

This kind of price war is definitely happenning all across the publishers. Look up the Hatchett group for more accurate information. Amazon is purposely pricing trad books lower so that the publishers can't make a real profit. It's a huge problem.

Sorry for going so far off topic, but I just had to clear that up. Truly, I'm making up anything.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne Berkeley (aberkeley) I read that recently too, on it being fanfiction. I thought, wow, that's a far cry from Twilight. lol.

message 15: by Kaisersoze (new)

Kaisersoze | 5 comments Not that I have any interest in the 50 Shades series, but it's the same thing here in Australia regarding most Amazon prices. Most books are far more expensive here - well above what they would be after the currency conversion is taken into account. But then for all manner of entertainment (including on-line film retailers and anything related to gaming), Australia pays far higher prices than the States.

message 16: by Renee E (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:00PM) (new)

Renee E | 395 comments Are there specific entertainment or import type taxes that might affect the prices?

message 17: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) America pays far more in sales tax. Try to figure out the math on that one.