Author Superfriends Teamup discussion

Introductions > Wattpad

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) If you're on Wattpad I'd like to add you to out wattpad family book. Post a link here to your profile on wattpad.

The Wattpad family book can be found at http://www.wattpad.com/story/19358718...

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) I took this down temporarily due to lack of activity. If we get more interest in promoting on wattpad then I will put it back up.

message 3: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) I'm looking into Wattpad now, going into the nitty gritty of their terms of service and such. I'm impressed that they protect users really well. I'll be joining soon and I'll post the link here. Thanks, Brian!

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) Another reason I took it down is that Amazon has their own site called WriteOn that is similar to wattpad. Wattpad has a lot of young women on it, but WriteOn has a more of a serious author vibe to it. It hasn't launched yet, but it's basically in open beta testing right now. I'm waiting to see if WriteOn ends up being a better platform to help advertise. Wattpad has a strong community but I'm not convinved that a following there will translate into sales.

message 5: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) Just checked it out. I wonder if their terms will be as good and if we can put our work on both platforms or if Amazon won't allow that. We shall see! Thanks for mentioning this upcoming site.

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) Most of what I have read about WriteOn from their website makes it look like it is for works in progress towards being published. The writing editor has a lot of buttons to help with formatting. I think in the future they may have an option to publish your story from WriteOn directly to the Amazon store without having to create the MOBI file. It would be really cool to have the website do that conversion for you with 1 click. Right now that is pure speculation on my part. Still it would be cool if the website could give you a perfectly formatted text file as output that you can plug into Callibre to create the MOBI file also.

I am also about 99% sure WriteOn will be integrated with the Kindle. That alone should help with visibility and building a following with actual readers who may buy your works in the future. Wattpad on the other hand has evolved into a community of teenagers who are more into the social aspects of the site. Most of the actual readers on the site lurk in the shadows. I still feel like it's a good place to help build a following. I'm just not sure that a following there will result in future sales.

message 7: by Christie (new)

Christie Stratos (christiestratos) If that's WriteOn's ultimate goal, that would be awesome! Just be careful because the terms of service say anything you put up on WriteOn becomes exclusively Amazon's property. That's a red flag to me, but they may change that to mean, once it's officially up and running, you can only publish whatever works you post via Amazon/Kindle. I'm guessing that's their goal