All About Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Posts > Recommendation Swap - Partners August 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments And here we go again! Here are the partners for the August Recommendation Swap. You have until 31st July to send your recommendation to your partner. You then have two months to read the book - and please remember to report back to us in the "What did you think?" thread - we would love to hear what you thought!!

You can either write your own review - or there are some questions to answer - whichever you find easier.

You can either send a message to your partner, or on their profile there is an option to recommend a book to them - you may need to become their friend to do this.

Bette will recommend a book to: Ann
Shirley will recommend a book to: Diane S
dely will recommend a book to: Everyman
Rahat will recommend a book to: Leslie
Erica will recommend a book to: Alannah
Alannah will recommend a book to: Rahat
Heather will recommend a book to: Paula
Angela will recommend a book to: Heather
Everyman will recommend a book to: dely
Chrissie will recommend a book to: Angela
Gemma will recommend a book to: Chrissie
Leslie will recommend a book to: Lee
Anastasia will recommend a book to: Bette
Paula will recommend a book to: Erica
Ann will recommend a book to: Shirley
Lee will recommend a book to: Anastasia
Diane S will recommend a book to: Gemma

Happy reading everyone - I hope we all discover some great books!

message 2: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Fine! I already gave a look to Everyman's shelves and I'm pretty sure he has read much more books than the ones he has shelved here on GR.
I don't see Italian authors...it could be the perfect opportunity to introduce him to Italian literature. Will think about it!

message 3: by Chrissie (last edited Jul 27, 2014 11:53PM) (new)

Chrissie I have sent three recommendations to Angela. Was it bad of me to give her three choices? I want her to be pleased with whatever choice she makes. I loved all three books.....and I did check out what kind of books she reads so I could choose three she would most probably enjoy.

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 867 comments I've emailed Alannah - I've asked her whether she'd prefer fiction or non-fiction and then depending on her answer will recommend a book. I've got two books in mind and I loved them both. Hope she does too!

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) Hi Erica! I hope you love the recommendation I sent to you as much as I do.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) Hi Erica! I hope you love the recommendation I sent to you as much as I do.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 867 comments I'm looking forward to it! Thanks Paula

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've already received my recommendation from Angela and sent mine to Paula.

message 9: by Book Ninja (new)

Book Ninja | 213 comments Sent and received my recommendation :)

message 10: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11965 comments Mod
Sent and received my recommendation, won't be getting it until I've sent off my dissertation but looking forward to reading it. :)

message 11: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Chrissie sent me three choices and since I had read the first one , I chose her second one , which looks like a fascinating story .

I hope that Heather likes what I gave chosen for her .

message 12: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Angela, I hope you love it. That book, the second one, I had to buy twice because when Oscar was an itsy-bitsy puppy he ate up the last couple of chapters. I NEEDED to always have a copy of that book.

message 13: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Chrissie ,
That's certainly a recommendation - a second copy and loved by your dog as well - lol . Looking forward to it .

message 14: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Angela wrote: "Chrissie ,
That's certainly a recommendation - a second copy and loved by your dog as well - lol . Looking forward to it ."

Tasty lines! :0)

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) My dog chewed on my Game of Thrones hardback!! I just about had a heart attack!! What I pd for that book.....

message 16: by Anastasia (last edited Jul 28, 2014 05:39AM) (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments I've received the recommendation from Lee, now I'm waiting to be able of sending mine to Bette. :)

message 17: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Lee wrote: "My dog chewed on my Game of Thrones hardback!! I just about had a heart attack!! What I pd for that book....."

Oh my, dogs ARE bad sometimes. I was SO VERY disgusted. I wrote about it in my review, it was a place to vent my anger!! I thought I was gong to have a conniption.

So Lee, I totally understand.

message 18: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments Just seen in recommending to Chrissie. Will have a nose through your books and get my recommendation over to you.

message 19: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I am excited, Gemma!

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Received and sent my recommendations. In fact, I plan to pick up my recommended book today at the library!

message 21: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments Have just sent you a recommendation, Chrissie. Hope you enjoy :)

message 22: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments I have sent a message to Everyman this morning but I still don't have heard anything from him. The problem is that I must recommend to him and he to me so I hope to hear from him otherwise I can't take part.

message 23: by Everyman (new)

Everyman Shirley wrote: "And here we go again! Here are the partners for the August Recommendation Swap. You have until 31st July to send your recommendation to your partner. You then have two months to read the book - and..."

I notice that in most cases, the a person receives from and nominates to different people, but it turns out that dely and I are mutual recommender-recommendee. Which is fine by me (don't know about dely!) if that's the way it's supposed to work, but if there was a glitch, should it be corrected?

message 24: by Everyman (new)

Everyman dely wrote: "I have sent a message to Everyman this morning but I still don't have heard anything from him. The problem is that I must recommend to him and he to me so I hope to hear from him otherwise I can't ..."

I'm here, I'm here! I think your morning is the middle of the night for me! But I got the email and will be responding soon!

message 25: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Have received it this morning, Gemma. Thanks.

message 26: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Everyman wrote: "I'm here, I'm here! I think your morning is the middle of the night for me! But I got the email and will be responding soon! "

Fine. I was a little bit worried because in my first swap the person to whom I had recommended disappeared from the group and has never read my recommendation and I was really sorry for this.
I will answer to your message as soon as possible, I think I have a huge responsability seen that you have never read Italian authors except Dante and he is...well, Dante is Dante.

message 27: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Everyman wrote: "I notice that in most cases, the a person receives from and nominates to different people, but it turns out that dely and I are mutual recommender-recommendee. Which is fine by me (don't know about dely!) if that's the way it's supposed to work, but if there was a glitch, should it be corrected? "

For me it's not a problem though I found it a little bit strange.
I think now it's impossible to correct because people have already received and send their recommendations but let's see what Shirley says.

message 28: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Hi dely and Everyman - as I use a random system for sorting the names, it's just a coincidence that you are swapping with each other. It could also happen that you could recommend to the same person as last time - it's just the luck of the draw!

message 29: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I've just sent my recommendation to Diane S.

message 30: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13415 comments Mod
Terri and me are getting together in "zona Cesarini" - as we say in Italy (Cesarini was a soccer player who scored a goal often in the last minutes of the match!)
We'll write here the titles when we'll decide upon them!

message 31: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments LauraT wrote: "Terri and me are getting together in "zona Cesarini" - as we say in Italy (Cesarini was a soccer player who scored a goal often in the last minutes of the match!)
We'll write here the titles when w..."

I'm glad it's all worked out for you both :)

message 32: by B the BookAddict (last edited Jul 29, 2014 12:46PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 8315 comments I always like to give my swapee two choices so I've chosen either Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner or Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler for Ann. I've sent her a PM.

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 138 comments Oh no, I've missed out this time.

D:

message 34: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Received my recommendation from Shirley and I actually own it so hope to start it soon. Also sent mine to Gemma.

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) Received my recommendation and already ordered it. So I'm good to go!!!

message 36: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) Received yesterday. Read yesterday.

message 37: by Lee (new)

Lee Whitney (boobearcat) wow, your really on the ball!!!

message 38: by Everyman (new)

Everyman dely and I have exchanged nominations. She's giving me an Italian author, since I've never read any Italians but Dante. I'm introducing her to Thomas Hardy.

message 39: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Already bought the book and I'm really curious to read my first Thomas Hardy!

message 40: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (gemmagem20) | 456 comments Just discovered that my book is 99p on kindle, very happy :)

message 41: by LauraT (new)

Terri wrote: "LauraT and I are going to read The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill. I'm very excited!"

I'm reading it, while Terri has received my idea of People of the Book. I'll start it in a few days though

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, Paula! Can't wait to hear what you think! Usually there is a thread with done questions to post reviews from the swap so it's all in one place. I don't know if it's been set up yet

message 43: by Paula (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:48AM) (new)

Paula (paula-j) Heather wrote: "Wow, Paula! Can't wait to hear what you think! Usually there is a thread with done questions to post reviews from the swap so it's all in one place. I don't know if it's been set up yet"

Since it was such a quick read, would you like to do another? I like challenging reads :). I'm open to non-fiction as well. And thx for the recommendation, I will be sure to review it.

message 44: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) Gemma wrote: "Just discovered that my book is 99p on kindle, very happy :)"

That's great! I do love a good deal :).

message 45: by Paula (new)

Paula (paula-j) dely wrote: "Already bought the book and I'm really curious to read my first Thomas Hardy!"

I'm curious to know which one (?)

message 46: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments Heather wrote: "Wow, Paula! Can't wait to hear what you think! Usually there is a thread with done questions to post reviews from the swap so it's all in one place. I don't know if it's been set up yet"

At the beginning of the "What did you think?" thread, there are some questions - I've left the discussion thread open...

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Paula wrote: "Heather wrote: "Wow, Paula! Can't wait to hear what you think! Usually there is a thread with done questions to post reviews from the swap so it's all in one place. I don't know if it's been set up..."

Paula, I have sent you an alternative but I would still like to read your review.

message 48: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Paula wrote: "dely wrote: "Already bought the book and I'm really curious to read my first Thomas Hardy!"

I'm curious to know which one (?)"

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

message 49: by LauraT (new)

dely wrote: "Paula wrote: "dely wrote: "Already bought the book and I'm really curious to read my first Thomas Hardy!"

I'm curious to know which one (?)"

Tess of the d'Urbervilles"

Great book! Tuogh though, not what I consider a "summer reading"! Even if when in University summer was the time to read al these cassics for the autumn semester!

message 50: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments LauraT wrote: "Great book! Tuogh though, not what I consider a "summer reading"! Even if when in University summer was the time to read al these cassics for the autumn semester! "

I won't bring it on the beach (hoping the weather improves, today it seemed autumn). This one will stay at home and will read it during the evening.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.