Banned Books discussion

BANNED/CHALLENGED > Jytte Klausen - The Cartoons That Shook the World

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pat (new)

Pat Schakelvoort (schakelvoort) | 1 comments The Cartoons That Shook the World

Not banned but Yale was forced to take out the cartoons, where it was all about from the book.

http://trueslant.com/nickobourn/2009/...

message 2: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
That's pretty disturbing since the book was about the affect the cartoons had. I wonder what kind of slant the book was giving them, whether that had any play in it. At least they will still be described in the book.

Cold Cream 'n' Roses (coldcreamandroses) I believe that the Yale U Press rep said that he didn't want "blood on his hands." At least he was candid about fear, while many are not. But those Muslims who riot and kill on account of those cartoons should be condemned in the strongest words: by this, I mean strongly asserting the right to read and the right to freedom of speech and religion. I do not mean apologetics that these acts hurt the image of Islam.

You cannot have freedom of speech if others silence you become your speech offends them. You cannot have freedom of speech or religion without running the risk of blasphemy. Some Muslim beliefs are blasphemous to Christians, and some Christian beliefs are blasphemous to Muslims.

message 4: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Nice comments, Julie, I agree.

message 5: by Åsa (new)

Åsa (hallon02) | 3 comments It's terrible that they had to pull the cartoons out of the book. It always makes me angry that people feel they have a right to tell others what to do.

And about the cartoons. I'm Swedish (Denmark is our neighbor) and it was interesting to follow parts of the riots caused by the cartoons.

I distinctly remember one news broadcast where they interviewed protesters who said they would invade Helsinki (capitol of Finland), kill Karl XVI Gustaf (king of Sweden), and were burning Norwegian flags.

They were so angry by those cartoons, and it ultimately killed 200 people. But they hadn't even bothered to find out what country they were supposed to be angry at.

message 6: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (last edited Oct 01, 2009 12:25PM) (new)

That's funny! The whole thing is so bizarre. When I think of riots and violent protests that part of the world rarely comes to mind... I guess there is craziness everywhere. I am against banning and censorship but I'm even more against murder. I don't understand that kind of violence at all.