Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived: "Gigi’s Favorite RoM" > Favorite Read of the Month- July

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments

Hiya!!! Well, its that time again. Can't believe July is virtually a memory. I've had a bit of a slump and was only able to read one book thus far which I loved.

For All Time (Nantucket Brides Trilogy, #2) by Jude Deveraux

So, what about you? What was your best and worst read for the month of July?

message 2: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I haven't been sticking to my challenges, and I only have one 5 star, which was a re-read via audio...and no 4½ stars...which is weird.

★★★★★
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy #1) by Elizabeth Hoyt

★★★★☆
Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5) by Thea Harrison Mackenzie's Mission (Mackenzie Family, #2) by Linda Howard Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1) by Liz Lipperman The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery, #1) by Amanda Lee An Unsuitable Job for a Woman (Cordelia Gray, #1) by P.D. James

message 3: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Wasn't the the Raven Prince good!! I have to pick up where I left off with the Mackenzie saga.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, excellent.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I'll come back my favs after the end of the month!

message 6: by Oleander (last edited Jul 27, 2014 02:22PM) (new)

Oleander | 188 comments Top read:
Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3) by Linda Castillo
5 stars

Honorable mention:
Thirst (Ava Delaney, #1) by Claire Farrell Absolution (Penton Legacy, #2) by Susannah Sandlin

No bad reads thankfully

getting back to the Mackenzie saga is high on my list too

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I have the first one in the Kate Burkholder 'tagged' to read, Oleander. Looks good.

message 8: by Kritika (new)

Kritika | 106 comments I have read 7 books so far this month..
A few were 3.5-4 stars while most were 4.5-5 stars..

Those were:

Can't Let Go by A.P. Jensen Love and Chaos by Elizabeth Powers Neanderthal Marries Human A Smarter Romance (Knitting in the City, #1.5) by Penny Reid Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1) by Dan Brown

Currently reading :

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown The Chocolate Thief (Amour et Chocolat #1) by Laura Florand My Last Resolution (A New Year's Novella) by Whitney Gracia Williams

message 9: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2014 06:00AM) (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Looking it over hastily, I think July was a pretty decent month, as I got a lot of books read, but they weren't great, as it seems that my 3 star books top the list for most rated with this rating.

5 stars
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Striking Distance (I-Team, #6) by Pamela Clare She Can Run (She Can... #1) by Melinda Leigh

4 stars
Naughty Girls Do A Red Hot and BOOM! Story by Jodi Redford The Icing on the Cake by Rosemarie Naramore Tastes Like Chocolate A Red Hot Valentine Story by Graylin Rane Falling for You by Heather Thurmeier First Frost (Mythos Academy, #0.5) by Jennifer Estep A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2) by Julie James Enchanted, Inc. (Enchanted, Inc., #1) by Shanna Swendson Temptress (Manhattan Ten, #1) by Lola Dodge In Rides Trouble (Black Knights Inc., #2) by Julie Ann Walker Single by Saturday (The Weekday Brides, #4) by Catherine Bybee Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer

3 stars
The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld, #0.5) by Gena Showalter Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4) by Cindy Spencer Pape The Way to a Man's Heart by Debbie Macomber Demon Lover (Fairytale Fantasies #2) by Bonnie Dee A July Bride (A Year of Weddings, #8) by Beth Wiseman Her Restless Heart (Stitches In Time Series #1) by Barbara Cameron Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep Wasted (Elemental Assassin #2.7) by Jennifer Estep Lessons from a Scandalous Bride (Forgotten Princesses #2) by Sophie Jordan The Earl in My Bed (Forgotten Princesses, #2.5) by Sophie Jordan Nocked for a Loop (Naughty Nooners) by Sam Cheever Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

2 stars
Ecstasy by Bella Andre Eagle's Run (Texas Passions, #1) by Desiree Holt Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione No Place to Run (KGI, #2) by Maya Banks Tyger, Tyger Burning Bryght (Orion, #1) by Cathryn Cade Viking's Prize by Tanya Anne Crosby A Touch of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #0.5) by Lara Adrian Bedeviled Angel (Works Like Magick, #2) by Annette Blair

1 star
Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel Kiss Me, I'm Irish (Tennessee Waltz, #1) by Bella Street 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson Venice Vampyr (Venice Vampyr, #1) by Tina Folsom Summer Desserts by Nora Roberts Rock the Band (Black Falcon, #1.5) by Michelle A. Valentine Everblue (Mer Tales, #1) by Brenda Pandos

message 10: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Great reviews on them , Trea ;)

message 11: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments ShoSho wrote: "Great reviews on them , Trea ;)"

Thanks, ShoSho! I've been trying to write reviews for the books I read earlier in the day, because that's when my mind is more "awake", but I can see that a few of them I didn't do that on. I'm hoping that next month is a bit better than this one was!

message 12: by Gigi, Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2014 05:46PM) (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Trea wrote: "Even though it is not quite the end of the month, I'm finished with all my challenge books, so I'm pretty comfortable with posting the results of my month. Looking it over hastily, I think it was ..."

Whoa! Trea!!! That's impressive!

message 13: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Gigi wrote: "Trea wrote: "Even though it is not quite the end of the month, I'm finished with all my challenge books, so I'm pretty comfortable with posting the results of my month. Looking it over hastily, I ..."

I try to read a book a day, Gigi. I only sleep about 6-7 hours a night and when my son goes down earlyish in the evening and is a very light sleeper, I need to do something quiet, like reading. Some days I don't make my self imposed quota, but that's why I throw novellas in the mix for the month as well, cause I can fit two books into a day if one of them is a shorter story like a novella.

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) I'm so jealous of the amount you read, Trea!

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) My 5 star reads for the month

The Best Man (Blue Heron #1) by Kristan Higgins Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3) by Pamela Clare

Two 4 star books that I really enjoyed were:

Shakespeare's Landlord (Lily Bard, #1) by Charlaine Harris Magic Study (Study, #2) by Maria V. Snyder

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I didn't read all your reviews, Trea, but several. Great going.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Kritika, I'm very intrigued by the Knitting in the City series.

message 18: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm so jealous of the amount you read, Trea!"

There are times where I wish I had more of a life, Lauren! I don't like going out in public much, as I have facial rosacea. When I have a bad outbreak of it, I have sometimes found that people stare. With already low self esteem, it is very uncomfortable for me. So, I stay at home and read oftentimes. Not the most socially healthy thing I can do, but its better than being judged based on the way I look, and not what I do or say.

message 19: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I didn't read all your reviews, Trea, but several. Great going."

Thank you!

message 20: by Kritika (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:16AM) (new)

Kritika | 106 comments Lisa Kay wrote : " Kritika, I'm very intrigued by the Knitting in the City series. "

Me too.. And I absolutely loved Janie and Quinn's story(in both the books Neanderthal Seeks Human A Smart Romance (Knitting in the City, #1) by Penny Reid and Neanderthal Marries Human A Smarter Romance (Knitting in the City, #1.5) by Penny Reid ).. The 2nd story Friends Without Benefits (Knitting in the City, #2) by Penny Reid was also good and I enjoyed it a lot.. though not as much as Ms Reid's first book. I didn't read the 3rd story though! Love Hacked (Knitting in the City, #3) by Penny Reid . I generally don't read romances in which the heroine is significantly older than the hero. Call me old-fashioned, but thats just what I like! I would like to know though how was Love Hacked (Knitting in the City, #3) by Penny Reid .. curiosity, I guess. I'm waiting for Beauty and the Mustache (Knitting in the City, #4) by Penny Reid ..

Have you read the Laywers in Love series by N.M. Silber ?

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Good to know the breakdown, Kritika. Thanks!

message 22: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Updated Message 9 with placements of Bedeviled Angel and Rock the Band.

message 23: by Kritika (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:32AM) (new)

Kritika | 106 comments It was my pleasure:)

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Trea wrote: "There are times where I wish I had more of a life, Lauren! I don't like going out in public much, as I have facial rosacea. When I ha..."

Sorry to hear that, Trea. People can be very cruel. A friend of mine in high school suffered from severe acne and had a hard time of it. Thankfully, it started improving with birth control pills and she came out of her shell. Hope you find a treatment that works.

message 25: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Lauren wrote: "Trea wrote: "There are times where I wish I had more of a life, Lauren! I don't like going out in public much, as I have facial rosacea. When I ha..."

Sorry to hear that, Trea. People can be ver..."

Thanks, Lauren. I just got diagnosed, so we're still trying to figure out what works and won't give me an adverse reaction as well. Hopefully, my doc will figure out something that works well soon!

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Best wishes, Trea.

message 27: by Kritika (new)

Kritika | 106 comments Best wishes, Trea. Hope you find a treatment that works for you soon:)

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments I finished a book today and I think that will probably be it for this month so here goes:

5 stars and my favorite read this month:
Hell & High Water (THIRDS, #1) by Charlie Cochet

4 stars:
Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1) by S.E. Jakes Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3) by S.E. Jakes Long Time Gone (Hell or High Water, #2) by S.E. Jakes Free Falling by S.E. Jakes Dirty Deeds (Dirty Deeds, #1) by S.E. Jakes For the Longest Time (Harvest Cove, #1) by Kendra Leigh Castle

3.5 stars:
Wake Me Up Inside (Mates, #1) by Cardeno C.

3 stars:
Jay Walking (Peckers, #1) by Jacques N. Hoff

Best reading month I've had in a while!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jul 29, 2014 05:36PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Jenny, Thirds looks good. For some reason I've been on a homicide detective kick with my T.V. watching.

message 30: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jyl22075) | 2336 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Jenny, Thirds looks good. For some reason I've been on a homicide detective kick with my T.V. watching."

I loved it! It finally got me out of my slump when it came to paranormals.

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great! That is always a good thing, Jenny.

message 32: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Final update of this post for end of the month.

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great work, Trea!

message 34: by ⚜️Trea, Moderator (new)

⚜️Trea (duskrider3740) | 1318 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Great work, Trea!"

Thanks!

message 35: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 458 comments My 5*s for the month were The Martian by Andy Weir Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6) by Seanan McGuire Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7) by Ilona Andrews

Favorite 4*s were Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) by Jill Shalvis No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3) by Sarah MacLean

Least favorite was One Lucky Vampire (Argeneau, #19) by Lynsay Sands - I usually like this series but this one was kind of a mess for me.

message 36: by Judy (new)

Judy My 5 star reads this month:

A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1) by Lynn Kurland (still 5 stars on the re-read)
Venetia by Georgette Heyer
The Martian by Andy Weir - thanks to KarenF's review- I read this one, and glad I did

My favorite 4+ stars -
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear (Tall, Dark and Dangerous, #6) by Suzanne Brockmann Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) by P.G. Wodehouse William Shakespeare's The Jedi Doth Return by Ian Doescher The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club Series) by Stephanie Laurens (an audio re-read)

My least favorite (2 stars)- The Devil Wears Kilts (Scandalous Highlanders, #1) by Suzanne Enoch

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The Martian looks good, KarenF. Love your review.

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ah! Judy, I still have A Dance Through Time on my bedside table. Looking forward to getting back to it.

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Aug 02, 2014 08:25AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Judy, did you like the narrator, Jill Tanner, on The Lady Chosen?

message 40: by Judy (new)

Judy Lisa Kay wrote: "Judy, did you like the narrator, Jill Tanner, on The Lady Chosen?"

I thought she was just OK- I don't think she does male voices well, and she didn't differentiate much in the voice presentations, so I had some trouble identifying who was speaking some times.

I had listened to this one before, so I knew that going in, but I was in the mood for this book at the time.

message 41: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks for the feedback, Judy. I actually liked The Bastion Club series, and remember reading that book several times. I do get a little tired of Simon Prebble reading to me, though, so I was interested in finding out about the other reader.

message 42: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 164 comments Been horrible at posting reviews on the books I've read but I had the best reading month so far this year with 10 books read ( so much better than Jan and Feb where I read 4 books combined in those two months).

★★★★★
Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1) by Julie James
★★★★
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks Vamps and the City (Love at Stake, #2) by Kerrelyn Sparks Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5) by Jennifer Estep A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1) by Sarah MacLean
★★★1/2
Born of Night (The League, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1) by Christina Dodd
★★★
Deliver Me from Darkness (Paladin Warriors, #1) by Tes Hilaire
★★1/2
Sparrow Hill Road (Ghost Stories, #1) by Seanan McGuire

Undead and Unsure (Undead, #12) by MaryJanice Davidson

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great you had such a good month, Christina. And some neat books, too.

message 44: by Oleander (new)

Oleander | 188 comments You did have some good reads, christina.

message 45: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments Yes, Christina, you did!

message 46: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 458 comments I'm a little behind responding here but I'm glad you liked The Martian Judy! And I hope you read/enjoy too Lisa Kay. It's a really great read. When I finished I almost just turned right around and started listening to the beginning again. And I never do that.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Interesting. Now I'm going to more it higher up on Mt. TBR, Karen F.

message 48: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 247 comments Just back from vacation and this is my July's book. No 5 stars books sadly :/ :

4,5 stars:
MacRieve (Immortals After Dark, #13) by Kresley Cole - Feel like a filler book for me. If you hate Uilleam, please raise your hand (because I did!)

4 stars and recommended to read:
Deadly Curiosities (Deadly Curiosities, #1) by Gail Z. Martin - A traditional urban fantasy with an interesting premise, world building and magic system
The White Magic Five and Dime by Steve Hockensmith - Lately I read so many cozy mysteries. I like this one, because the heroine sarcasm and witty remarks
Aces Wild Sin City Collectors Novella by Amanda Carlson - just novella, but really good
Black Rook (Cornerstone Run Trilogy, #1) by Kelly Meade - a mix of PNR and UF. Seems like the author have a wrong priority for the hero. But still a good read.

Book that just got 1-2 stars and really suck :(

The Breakup Artist by Nichole Severn - Rough and Tumble (Rough and Tumble, #1) by Crystal Green

Hope you all will get some new books to add to the TBR list :D

message 49: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments I didn't like MacRieve (Immortals After Dark, #13) by Kresley Cole very much , only 3 stars for me. are you going to read the next book soon?

message 50: by Ren Puspita (new)

Ren Puspita (renpuspita) | 247 comments Yes, Shosho! Just wait until my copy arrived :D. Usually I wait for the paperback, but the excerpt KC shared on her FB page make me impatiently want to read and I pre-order the HC version. Funny, because Lanthe is not my favorite character. But, once Lothaire is not my favs and I love his book so much

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.