The Walt Longmire Book Series & TV Show Group discussion

Events & Polls > Longmire Days

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments Anyone have the opportunity to attend Longmire Days in Buffalo, Wyoming last week?

message 2: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Brenda (butterflyprincess) | 212 comments Mod
Mark I really wanted to but alas could not. I'm starting to plan for next year. I live in Pennsylvania it is very far away. I'll need to drive it because I need a handicap equipped car to get around out there. But I'm thinking that I may get one of my sons to go with me.

I hear that they really go all out for it. Lou Diamond Phillips was the only star not at the "Days" this year but, I'm hopeful for next year.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments Brenda, it was a blast. Had a chance to meet Craig Johnson and he is as nice as anyone could imagine. Also had the opportunity to say hi to all the actors (except Cassidy Freeman) at the autograph session.

Dinner and breakfast at the Busy Bee!

But most impressed with how nice they all are and that all of them donated their time to the celebration. They attended the street dance, softball game, cowboy shootout and Poker Run. And "The Ferg's" jazz band was outstanding.

If you can make it out next year you won't regret it!

message 4: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2014 08:14AM) (new)

Mark you sound so excited about the "Days" which tells me it must have been great! Now I'm more determined then ever to go next year. I have always wanted to see more of the country!! Thanks so much for telling me about it and for creating such excitement in me and this group!!!

message 5: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei Hawkins | 30 comments I was there. Horseback riding with Zahn and Cassidy was super fun. Especially since I got to talk to her for several minutes as we walked from the corral to the dining hall.

message 6: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Lorelei wrote: "I was there. Horseback riding with Zahn and Cassidy was super fun. Especially since I got to talk to her for several minutes as we walked from the corral to the dining hall."

Lorelei you were so lucky to be riding with them! I would never be able to ride a horse (doctor forbids)but do look forward to meeting the stars and talking to them.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments I didn't take advantage of the trail ride - but definitely on my list of things to do next year!

That is if A&E is wise enough to renew Longmire another season. I can't imagine how they couldn't, but with television executives one never knows!

message 8: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Does anyone know the dates for Longmire Days next year?

message 9: by Cynde (new)

Cynde Janis | 17 comments I was there last year and had a fantastic time. I met Craig, Robert, and went horseback riding with Cassidy! The cast were all wonderful, down-to-earth people who seemed just as happy to meet us as we were to meet them.
I couldn't go this year but I am planning on going again next year.
The dates for Longmire Days 2015 will probably not be made known until sometime next year as it depends on the shooting schedule of the show-provided it gets renewed.

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments If you get the chance to attend it is a blast. It's true the actors seem happy to be there and mingle with us "common" folk throughout the weekend.

It also really gives you a feel for the area and the town of "Durant". It makes the books even more fun knowing the lay out of the land.

I would definitely recommend attending -- I was there this year and hope to make it back again next year.

message 11: by Lorelei (last edited Aug 07, 2014 12:53AM) (new)

Lorelei Hawkins | 30 comments I took some pics of places with ties to the books. I'm also putting locations I come across on a map. Makes rereading fun.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark | 34 comments I did as well Lorelei. Just being in the area has brought new insights to the books.

And the food was pretty good at the Busy Bee!

message 13: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei Hawkins | 30 comments One of the other things I'm looking for as I reread have to do with one of my other hobbies ---- geocaching. A large number of the places he names are also sites for information for the game.

message 14: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Lorelei wrote: "One of the other things I'm looking for as I reread have to do with one of my other hobbies ---- geocaching. A large number of the places he names are also sites for information for the game."

I have never heard of geocaching before. What can you tell us about it? I know I am curious!

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim | 14 comments Geocaching is basically a treasure hunt- http://www.geocaching.com/guide/defau...

message 16: by Brenda, Co-Moderator (new)

Thanks for the info!

message 17: by Lorelei (new)

Lorelei Hawkins | 30 comments I wouldn't call it a treasure hunt because most of the stuff left in the larger containers is very very cheap if its something to be traded.

Geocaching is using the government satellites and a GPS unit or smartphone to find a container from the size of a film canister to the size of a bread box hidden at the posted coordinates. Once it's found you will find inside a log/list of previous finders that you add your name to. Then you go online to geocaching.com and log your find.
The REWARD: A smilie face on the map.

Wyoming has two or three thousand (lots ot dead areas due to mountains, lack cell towers etc.). There are over 13000 within 100 miles of my house in Houston and a highway in Nevada has 2500 along it.