All About YA discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin Lynn (new)

Erin Lynn | 2727 comments Mod
Hey, everyone. I'm Erin, and I've been a voracious reader my whole life.

I'm a teacher, so I read a lot of YA to get a sense for what students are reading. I also read adult fiction. I read as many books as I can, and I've found that I really enjoy contemporary, fantasy, and dystopia. I also try to read as many series as I can because they can be rather enjoyable.

I love J.K. Rowling, Veronica Roth, Suzanne Collins, Rainbow Rowell, Stephen Chbosky, and Lauren Oliver.

message 2: by These Violent Delights (last edited Jul 29, 2014 07:53AM) (new)

These Violent Delights (Robin) | 1232 comments Mod
Bonjour! I'm Robin and I have a buying problem.

To be honest I'm a cover buyer and with all these books with beautiful covers coming out, you can guess how full my wallet is.. lol.

I love Tiger's, Dragons, Polar Bears, and Phoenixes.
My favorite color is purple. I don't have a favorite food because I love all food. My favorite movies consist of; The Book Of Eli, James Camerons Avatar, all of the Resident Evil movies, all of the Underworld movies, Priest, 10,000 BC, Push, the Ice Age movies, The Croods, I Am Legend, all of the Pirates Of The Carribean movies, and etc..

My favorite genres consist of; Urban Fantasy, Dystopia, Paranormal Romance, Fantasy, and Science Fiction

My favorite books are: Frankenstein by Mary Shelley , Tiger's Promise (The Tiger Saga, #0.5) by Colleen Houck Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2) by Colleen Houck Tiger's Voyage (The Tiger Saga, #3) by Colleen Houck Tiger's Destiny (The Tiger Saga, #4) by Colleen Houck , Reboot (Reboot, #1) by Amy Tintera , Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth , The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins , Nightshade (Nightshade, #1) by Andrea Cremer Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2) by Andrea Cremer Bloodrose (Nightshade, #3) by Andrea Cremer , Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6) by Jeaniene Frost Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2) by Jeaniene Frost Up From the Grave (Night Huntress #7) by Jeaniene Frost , and The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken

Feel free to add me as well, I love seeing what everybody else is reading and I love reading other peoples reviews.

Angie wrote: "Ahh yes another cover buyer! LOL I'm guilty of that as well."

Pheww, glad I'm not alone. To be honest I kinda feel bad about just buying books with pretty covers and not giving the ugly covers a chance. But, it's my money and I'm going to do what I want with it lol

message 4: by Sanjna (new)

Sanjna (frost45) | 3 comments Whoever said "Don't judge a book by its cover" is stupid. Why would anyone consider a book if the cover is not appealing in the first place? The description is only the second thing I see :P

Angie wrote: "YES!!! A pretty cover makes you want to pick it up and see what it's about. The only reason I would buy an ugly cover book is because I read about it online or someone recommended it to me."

Yeah same here, when I was a lot younger and in elementary school I fell in love with Airborn (Matt Cruse, #1) by Kenneth Oppel and I hate the cover but it's one of my all time favorite books

message 6: by Sanjna (new)

Sanjna (frost45) | 3 comments True... Unless someone recommends an ugly book, I don't pick it up. I suppose I'm really shallow...

message 7: by Erin Lynn (new)

Hey, everyone. I've closed my private messages for a while. If you need to contact me, find me on here, or send me a friend request. I've been getting way too many spam messages on Goodreads, and it's becoming a pain to clean them all out.

I hope everyone understands.

message 8: by Erin Lynn (new)

Hello, everyone! I've been getting a lot of friend requests from members. I love that you want to be friends, but I am only accepting legal adults as friends. It's not to be mean or anything; my job is important to me, so I don't want to jeopardize losing it by being friends with minors on a social networking site.

Feel free to chat with me on the group or on my blog. I promise you that I'm not mean, but there is a very fine line about friends on social networks that I don't wish to cross.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Shaw (emilyshaw16) | 313 comments Hi everyone, I'm Emily, and I've recently become a moderator for this group! I'm super excited to help out and become more involved with the group! I'll mainly be supervising read-a-thons (which are my favorite!) and just answering questions when I can. Feel free to add me and chat :)

I read a lot when I was younger, since my dad worked in a book store for a long time. The highlight of my reading career was Twilight. I first read it in 5th grade, before the entire series was out, and man, was I addicted. It kind of stopped throughout high school, but I'm now in college and addicted once again.

I'm a college student, studying fashion merchandising (my other passion). YA is obviously my favorite genre of books! I would say my favorites are contemporary and mystery. I definitely have to be in the mood to read a fantasy book, so that's rare for me. I'm pretty bad at finishing series. I'll start a bunch and never continue, oops.

My favorite authors are Jandy Nelson, Nicola Yoon, Stephenie Meyer, and Stephanie Perkins! Fun fact, I've never read or watched Harry Potter. I know, it's terrible. And I will eventually get to them. I promise.

message 10: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
Yo! I'm Daisy and I'm really excited to be helping out in this group. I've been a member since (if I remember correctly) All About YA had around 200 members, and have just recently become a moderator. I hope to host some Read-A-Thons and possibly some other challenges to encourage us all to read as much as we can, and you may also see me around in the general book discussions, as talking about books with people is my favourite thing to do here on Goodreads!

My reading tastes are pretty random to be honest - most of the time I just read what sounds interesting - but I do read a lot of YA and love the liveliness and relatability of the genre (being a teenager myself). At the moment I'm really into lgbt+ contemporaries and science-fiction in my YA, but in general I also love cutesy middle grades, encouraging non-fiction and gothic classics... I did warn you it was random.

Looking forward to interacting with everyone around the group! :)

message 11: by Janessa (new)

Janessa | 388 comments Mod
Hey All! Janessa here. I'm sure most of you have seen me around, but I thought it was time for me to give a proper introduction. So here goes my name is Janessa, I was born and still live in Colorado, Go Rockies! I am a college student. I have an associates of Arts degree in Theatre, at the moment I am working on earning my Bachelor of Art degree with a major in Theatre design and minor in English with a concentration in writing. I have a few semesters left, and then into the big bad real world. YIKES! My goal for my degree is to become a playwright, and one day see a play I have written performed live on stage. Besides the theatre I love to read a lot. Reading is my life saver. I also love music, art, writing, watching movies, knitting, and sketching. I am a creative person who loves to learn new things, and I hope we can learn some new things together:)