Audio-Bibliophiles discussion

Audiobook Info > Good southern humor or funny detectives?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments I'm looking for something like "Them Bones" or Blaize Clements' character Dixie Hemingway. Something with some humor and sass. I've burned myself out of thrillers and stories of kidnapped kids and the like. Thanks, YA'LL!!!

message 2: by Kay (new)

Kay | 7 comments I am not familiar with the books you mentioned. However, I just finished a wonderful, and at times hilarious novel set in the South. I highly recommend Jigsaw by Ted Miller Brogden. Lots of Southern culture with a neat mystery and a more than satisfying end.

message 3: by Robin P (new)

Robin P Not Southern but funny - the Chet and Bernie detective series by Spencer Quinn, narrated by the dog. One book does take place in Louisiana but mostly they are in the Southwestern desert. Jim Frangione does such a good job as Chet the dog, who understands some but not all of what the humans are doing, and has a delightfully positive outlook on life.

message 4: by Audiothing (new)

Audiothing Anne wrote: "I'm looking for something like "Them Bones" or Blaize Clements' character Dixie Hemingway. Something with some humor and sass. I've burned myself out of thrillers and stories of kidnapped kids and ..."

Hi Anne
I've been looking for exactly the same, by chance I came across a post by a narrator, I looked up her books here http://www.audible.com/search/ref=sr_...
There are some Diva books look promising.
If you find anything else, hope you will post.
PS I don't know Karen Commins, and as yet, haven't listened to her.

message 5: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments Bec, the link sent me to the audible sale. I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you intended. ;)

message 6: by Audiothing (new)

Audiothing Anne wrote: "Bec, the link sent me to the audible sale. I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you intended. ;)"

Oh dear, that's odd, I tried again and it takes me to a page entitled "search results, narrator, Karen Commins"
Anyhow, on the page are a couple I thought might suit, the Dixie Diva series and Blue Suede Memphis series, both by Virginia Brown. Would you believe, it won't let me insert links to the books for you. Sorry!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Southern AND funny, but no detectives. - PORCH LIGHTS by Dorothea Benton Frank

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) I really enjoyed Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. It has some sad moments but overall it is funny and very Southern.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments Oh thank you all from the bottom of my southern soul. Bec, I screenshotted your suggestions and the ones of the other ladies. I can't wait to hear some comforting southern voices. If I find any others I shall let y'all know. Audiobooks Now or one of the publishers of audiobooks has genres and one of them is called " Southern Voices" or something like that. The narrator guy says " Southern Voices, books that celebrate the long standing traditions and charm of the South " or something similar. So I will do some detective work and find out what that is, who produces them and where I can get them. I'll post here in case anyone else needs a " fix". ;) The funny thing is that I live in Jacksonville Florida. It's still considered the South and since my mom was raised on a tobacco plantation in Virginia, it's just in my soul. Thanks again ladies.

message 10: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (joycej) | 5 comments I just read Fannie Flagg's All Girl Filling Station and enjoyed it immensely. Then my library adds the audio version so I may just have to listen!

message 11: by Audiothing (new)

Audiothing Joyce wrote: "I just read Fannie Flagg's All Girl Filling Station and enjoyed it immensely. Then my library adds the audio version so I may just have to listen!"

Now I have to look it up!

message 12: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Dec 10, 2014 07:49AM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 4 comments I loved Saving CeeCee Honeycutt as well. Carl Hiaasen has some very funny, tongue in cheek, Southern Florida reads. Skinny Dip is one that stands out. In a separate branch Chasing Fireflies is set in Georgia and is at times comical and a heart warmer.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly Bryant-Simpson (hollish) | 1 comments The studio I work for is about to publish Pickett's Charge. I just started listening to it and I really love it so far. It's about a Civil War vet, Threadgill Pickett, who breaks out of his retirement home in Alabama to kill the last living Union Soldier and avenge his twin brother. It should be on ListenUpAudiobooks.com today or tomorrow and will be on Audible in the next couple of weeks.

message 14: by Audiothing (new)

Audiothing Oh my goodness, just listened to Chocolate on a Stick, an Audible download,
Go have a look, I haven't reviewed it yet

message 15: by Lady Bren (new)

Lady Bren (lady_bren) | 8 comments Sorry to be late on this but I just love listening to Fannie Flagg read her books

message 16: by Lady Bren (new)

Lady Bren (lady_bren) | 8 comments Sorry to be late on this but I just love listening to Fannie Flagg read her books

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne Trinkle (jonanne) | 32 comments It is never too late to give someone good ideas for new books to read or listen to. :)

message 18: by Audiothing (new)

Audiothing I've just looked up Fannie Flagg on Audible Australia, they only have 2 of her unabridged books, whereas Audible.com have more. I've used all my credits - or rather my one credit this month, so will have to wait a while.
Unfortunately for reviewers like me, doesn't look as if Ms. Flagg needs any reviews!

message 19: by Audiothing (new)

Audiothing Bec wrote: "Oh my goodness, just listened to Chocolate on a Stick, an Audible download,
Go have a look, I haven't reviewed it yet"

I've reviewed it now, I loved it, this is a Seven Star Spectacular! Have a look,

http://audiothing.blogspot.com.au/