DevonReads discussion

Fiction in Devon

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 17 comments My favourite book from childhood was Lorna Doone.
What are your favourite Devon books?
There do not seem to be many people here on Devon Reads. Am I the only one?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 17 comments Henry Williamson, the author ofTarka the Otter built a small wooden hut near Georgeham in North Devon and used to spend up to 15 hours a day there. It was recently sold at auction for a six-figure sum, and English heritage has now given it grade 2 status, as a historical building of repute.
English Heritage said,"The writing hut reflects the work of Henry Williamson, an important author of fictionalised natural history, and provides a tangible link with the man and his writing."

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 1 comments Do you have any recommendations for books written in or about Devon?

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 17 comments Agatha Christie, the world's second best-selling author after the Bible, grew up in Torquay, and so some of her books are set in the south west.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 17 comments Conan Doyle wrote Hound of the BaskervillesThe Hound of the Baskervilleswhich is set on Dartmoor.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 17 comments Charles Kingsley wrote Westward Ho! but I can't recommend it, as have never read it.