Underground Knowledge — A discussion group discussion

MISCELLANEOUS TOPICS > Esoteric religion / spirituality / magic, the mind and self-help

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Iain (last edited Apr 20, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any links or resources on this subject?

I am no expert on this topic, but it seems to me the 'ancient' sages/druids/shamans of the past may have had valid information and techniques on ways to help with self-improvement of the mind, and perhaps that knowledge has been lost due to being suppressed by other powers, religions, or been hastily disregarded by science and so on?

Does anyone have any links, resources or thoughts that they could share on this subject?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) | 571 comments When you read enough, you realize that the wisdom isn't secret, it's everywhere. The esoteric worldview can be found in Gnosticism, Neoplatonism, Hermeticism, Kabbalah, Hinduism/Buddhism, shamanism, and western magick traditions.

There are many techniques that take you interesting places. The big one from the ancient world is resurrection. The best introduction to that is Freddy Silva's The Lost Art of Resurrection. I don't know if it's currently practiced anywhere. If it is, that IS a secret.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) | 571 comments I would also recommend Colin Wilson's Mysteries and/or Patrick Harpur's The Secret Tradition of the Soul.

message 4: by Iain (last edited Apr 20, 2018 05:32PM) (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments Thanks Jim, for the input.

message 5: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Great subject, Iain.
I'm a bit more of a newcomer to this topic, but recently have become fascinated by how we can utilize the forgotten wisdom or techniques of the Ancients to improve our own lives.

The latest guest in the Underground Knowledge podcast, Irish author/artist/researcher Thomas Sheridan, is worth a listen in this regard. Thomas talks about his respect for the Druids (sorcerers of the ancient Celtic peoples) and his experiences as a magic practitioner. Was inspiring to talk in depth with Thomas about these fascinating subjects and I must say the man has some serious forgotten wisdom of our ancestors...

UNDERGROUND KNOWLEDGE #9: Thomas Sheridan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avTpR...

Thomas has also written a few books that relate to this subject you raise:

The Druid Code: Magic, Megaliths and Mythology

The Druid Code Magic, Megaliths and Mythology by Thomas Sheridan

Sorcery: The Invocation of Strangeness

Sorcery The Invocation of Strangeness by Thomas Sheridan

message 6: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments James wrote: "Great subject, Iain.
I'm a bit more of a newcomer to this topic, but recently have become fascinated by how we can utilize the forgotten wisdom or techniques of the Ancients to improve our own liv..."

Cheers James

message 7: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments I'd also highly recommend this book set in 6th Century AD and based on a real written account from a Germanic monk visiting England:

The Way of Wyrd by UK professor Brian Bates.

The Way of Wyrd by Brian Bates

Here's my review for the book which is one of the best I've ever personally read and I think about its contents often: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

This discussion thread here perhaps is related to this whole topic:

Scientists and Shamans -- Two sides of the same coin?https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Lastly, I think perhaps the Eastern faiths should also be thrown into the mix here? Hinduism, Buddhism, Yoga etc as well as their offshoots like martial arts, or other practices that cultivate chi or prana...

I dunno mate, just talking bollocks really. Hopefully the shamans of these ancient eras weren't doing the same!!! :)

message 8: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments "I dunno mate, just talking bollocks really. Hopefully the shamans of these ancient eras weren't doing the same!!! :) "

Don't worry, I've read weirder stuff James. :)

message 9: by B. (new)

B. | 163 comments Jim I just ordered Wilson’s and Harpur’s books...they sound interesting. Thanks for the recs

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) | 571 comments You're welcome.

I also enjoyed The Way of Wyrd.

message 11: by Renée (new)

Renée Chae (reneechae) | 3 comments Yes, I agree this knowledge has been suppressed because self-sufficient people are often not good for business. However, new science and equipment (MEG machine) now back the power of the mind which very much includes our hearts.

The Heartmath Institute is a leader in these discoveries. Some of Heartmath’s findings are:

• Our heart emits 60 x's more electrical fields than the cranial brain.

• The heart is continually producing and releasing heat, light, sound, pressure waves, electrical, magnetic and electromagnetic signals into the cells of the body at different rates throughout our circulatory system.

• The heart sends 90-95% of the information to the body and cranial brain, and not the cranial brain to the body as previously thought.

• Our heart is the first organ/brain/muscle to respond to any new data. Information is first received by the heart, then its sent to the cranial brain, and then to the body at which time it becomes conscious.

• The heart is even being shown to receive information BEFORE something happens. That it's intuitive.

The mind is the accumulation of both the unseen intelligence, as well as matter intelligence, whereas the (cranial) brain is just the latter. And yes, in many Eastern cultures this is assumed and already known. Imho to understand the mind is to understand the importance of the heart and to include our entirety into the picture. I fully believe being taught to negate our hearts is why society lacks and is out of balance. (Quotes from Heartmath Institute Studies, Power of the Heart video, and my just-released book, This Thing Called Life).

message 12: by Iain (last edited Apr 21, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments Renée wrote: "Yes, I agree this knowledge has been suppressed because self-sufficient people are often not good for business. However, new science and equipment (MEG machine) now back the power of the mind which..."

Interesting info, Renee.

How does the gut or 'gut intuition' play a part in relation to this brain/heart combine, if any?

Do you know?

message 13: by Iain (last edited Apr 21, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments "Our heart is the first organ/brain/muscle to respond to any new data. Information is first received by the heart, then its sent to the cranial brain, and then to the body at which time it becomes conscious."

Sorry I am a layman here with this stuff, Renee, but could you give a more in-depth example of how that trajectory would operate(senses? > heart > brain)?

And is the heart just a 'transparent proxy' or is there some processing function in the heart before off-loading to the brain?

Thx

message 14: by Iain (last edited Apr 21, 2018 11:47AM) (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments "• Our heart emits 60 x's more electrical fields than the cranial brain.

• The heart is continually producing and releasing heat, light, sound, pressure waves, electrical, magnetic and electromagnetic signals into the cells of the body at different rates throughout our circulatory system.

The heart is even being shown to receive information BEFORE something happens. That it's intuitive. "

Is this information received in the form of 'electricity' outwith the normal senses, almost like the way a dolphin uses sonar(if that makes sense)?

message 15: by Renée (new)

Renée Chae (reneechae) | 3 comments Yes, absolutely. From what I understand our gut intuition is a way our hearts communicate to us our truth. When we go against our gut, it can cause dissonance and incoherency among our whole bodily system. This can be seen, for instance, when we live a lie or otherwise suppress our truth, we feel internal discord, become confused, and overall weaker. Everything in nature knows how to listen to its inner voice for direction, but we’re most often not taught this in our societies.

“Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.” ~Chinese Proverb

The problem is, we live in societies that are governed by industries and institutions that sell fish for a living.

We’re instead instructed to look towards outside sources and one’s limited, programmed cranial brain for direction. I think it's crucial that people learn to tune into what their hearts are communicating.

message 16: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments "The problem is, we live in societies that are governed by industries and institutions that sell fish for a living.

We’re instead instructed to look towards outside sources and one’s limited, programmed cranial brain for direction. I think it's crucial that people learn to tune into what their hearts are communicating. "

Isn't that the truth . . . .

I guess peoples' thought processes, in modern society, may have become more mechanistic.

I believe nature though, will bring them back to their senses ;)

message 17: by Renée (new)

Renée Chae (reneechae) | 3 comments Mechanistic is a good way to put it.

Ha, and you know it. ;) Nature can't be ignored.

message 18: by WILLIAMw (new)

WILLIAMw | 19 comments Iain wrote: "Hi,

I am no expert on this topic, but it seems to me the 'ancient' sages/druids/shamans of the past may have had valid inform..."

Iain wrote: "Hi,

I am no expert on this topic, but it seems to me the 'ancient' sages/druids/shamans of the past may have had valid inform..."

Try this link it's an exhaustive primer on the subject.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 19: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Jim wrote: "I also enjoyed The Way of Wyrd."

That's because you're a wyrdo :)

Just kidding, but it is interesting that the word weird that we use now derives from the Old English "wyrd" and was used again after many centuries by the 60s counterculture generation to describe anything mysterious... But gradually, after that, there started to be more negative connotations to the word...

message 20: by WILLIAMw (new)

WILLIAMw | 19 comments Try the series of lessons on this blog for wisdom and self-help.

https://williamb819.blogspot.com/?m=1

message 21: by Iain (last edited Apr 23, 2018 06:37AM) (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments James wrote: "Jim wrote: "I also enjoyed The Way of Wyrd."

That's because you're a wyrdo :)

Just kidding, but it is interesting that the word weird that we use now derives from the Old English "wyrd" and was u..."

That's OK James. I probably am wyrd in a way now, but I'll leave that for your Government Control discussion thread ;)

"But gradually, after that, there started to be more negative connotations to the word... "

How fitting, for proponents of Group Think . . . .

message 22: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments WILLIAMw wrote: "Try the series of lessons on this blog for wisdom and self-help.

https://williamb819.blogspot.com/?m=1"

Thanks for the recommendations, William. I'll look into them.

message 23: by James, Group Founder (last edited Apr 23, 2018 11:08PM) (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Hey Iain, I feel the Kabbalah (which I don't know much about but is the mystical offshoot of Judaism and specifies magic principles) should be added into the mix of possible approaches...

Practical Kabbalah (Hebrew: קבלה מעשית‬ Kabbalah Ma'asit) in historical Judaism, is a branch of the Jewish mystical tradition that concerns the use of magic. It was considered permitted white magic by its practitioners, reserved for the elite, who could separate its spiritual source from Qliphoth realms of evil if performed under circumstances that were holy (Q-D-Š) and pure (טומאה וטהרה, tvmh vthrh[1]). The concern of overstepping Judaism's strong prohibitions of impure magic ensured it remained a minor tradition in Jewish history. Its teachings include the use of Divine and angelic names for amulets and incantations.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practic...

message 24: by B. (new)

B. | 163 comments A great movie regarding Kabbalah(though fictional) is Pi by Darren Aronofsky....certainly made me more interested in what Kabbalah is. I’ve read books on it, but,honestly, the books went straight over my head unfortunately. I almost feel as if it needs to be taught in order to be properly understood.

message 25: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments James wrote: "Hey Iain, I feel the Kabbalah (which I don't know much about but is the mystical offshoot of Judaism and specifies magic principles) should be added into the mix of possible approaches...

Practic..."

B. wrote: "A great movie regarding Kabbalah(though fictional) is Pi by Darren Aronofsky....certainly made me more interested in what Kabbalah is. I’ve read books on it, but,honestly, the books went straight o..."

Truth be told, it's something I haven't looked into in any measure of depth.

I am open-minded enough to though; maybe I should.

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) | 571 comments Kabbalah was very influential in western magic, especially the late Victorian to early 20th century. It provides a systematic way of dealing with magic and the other world. It's like using classical composition techniques where shamanism is folk music and chaos magic is free form jazz.

I dipped my toe in several years ago. To really use it, there's a lot you need to memorize. I actually made up flash cards of the Hebrew alphabet. I drew the character on one side and on the reverse the name, translation, and numeric value. E.g. Aleph (Ox) 1.

You don't necessarily have to use everything. Some people use the sephira, the nodes on the tree of life, as meditation guides.

message 27: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Jim wrote: "Kabbalah was very influential in western magic, especially the late Victorian to early 20th century. It provides a systematic way of dealing with magic and the other world. It's like using classica..."

Which magic system have you benefited most from, Jim? And are you still practicing anything or did you just dabble here and there?

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) | 571 comments I'm more a dabbler. The only thing I did for long was Tai Chi and that was only two years.

I try to do mindfullness meditation every now and then but I've never been able to make it a habit.

I think you can benefit from any system if you stick with it long enough. I view these systems as a way to give us a handle on something that doesn't make sense to our everyday reality. They make the irrational more rational.

message 29: by Tony (new)

Tony Sunderland | 255 comments Jim wrote: "I'm more a dabbler. The only thing I did for long was Tai Chi and that was only two years.

I try to do mindfullness meditation every now and then but I've never been able to make it a habit.

I th..."

I drink....

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) | 571 comments Tony wrote: I drink....

I did smoke weed for a lot of years, took maybe 20 acid trips, and did mushrooms a few times.

message 31: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments Jim wrote: "Tony wrote: I drink....

I did smoke weed for a lot of years, took maybe 20 acid trips, and did mushrooms a few times."

Now and again, I'll burn the odd Aromatherapy Oil.

message 32: by B. (new)

B. | 163 comments Jim, have you read Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson? It’s about trips, synchronicity, esotericism, secret religious rituals, meditation, etc.....it’s an awesome book

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimliedeka) | 571 comments B. wrote: "Jim, have you read Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson? It’s about trips, synchronicity, esotericism, secret religious rituals, meditation, etc.....it’s an awesome book"

Only about a hundred times. :) I was a big RAW fan.

message 34: by Iain (last edited Apr 26, 2018 01:41PM) (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments Jim wrote: "B. wrote: "Jim, have you read Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson? It’s about trips, synchronicity, esotericism, secret religious rituals, meditation, etc.....it’s an awesome book"

Only about a ..."

Have any of you guys came across the movie "23(1998)" that was based on a true story about a group of West German hackers that ended up being hired by the KGB?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0126765/

The main character, Karl Koch, was initially inspired by Wilson's "Illuminatus."

Ended up he got deep-sixed by either the BND, KGB or the Stasi?

There's a good book called: "The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage", that's based on this story, only it's from the other-side's perspective and about the guy who helped to track down Karl Koch and his team.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 35: by Tony (new)

Tony Sunderland | 255 comments Jim wrote: "B. wrote: "Jim, have you read Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson? It’s about trips, synchronicity, esotericism, secret religious rituals, meditation, etc.....it’s an awesome book"

Only about a ..."

"Everything you know is wrong" ; )

That book has been reprinted over twenty times. Thanks for the reference Jim. It is what I love about this site.

message 36: by James, Group Founder (last edited May 07, 2018 07:35AM) (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Coming back to the Kabbalah...

Why Madonna’s Kabbalah is the True Kabbalah http://jewcy.com/jewish-religion-and-...

The professional Jews and rabbis are at it again.

In the Israeli press and across American cable television, bearded Jewish academics and keypaued scholars have savaged Madonna’s continuing foray into Jewish mysticism. In fact, popular culture – especially within the columns of snarky entertainment guides and the opening minutes of paranormal documentaries – has conflated the words Kabbalah and Madonna. For bespectacled Jews in book-lined offices, this was produced anger and derision.

What fueled their apoplectic jeroboams a few years ago was Madonna’s CD, Confessions on a Dance Floor, which included "Isaac," a song devoted to the sixteenth-century kabbalist Rabbi Itzhak Luria.

Rabbi Rafael Cohen of Safed warned that "divine retribution" may follow from such an abomination. "Jewish law forbids the use of the name of the holy rabbi for profit," he explained. Another guardian of holy Jewish ethics, Rabbi Israel Deri told Maariv that Madonna "brings great sin on the Kabbalah."

American-Jewish commentators have expressed similar – if slightly less menacing – admonitions against Madonna’s Practical Kabbalistic beliefs. Others have issued sardonic blogs against the Material Girl’s Pop Kabbalah adviser, Rabbi Philip Berg, and her Hollywood co-cultists, Brittany Spears, Demi Moore, Rosanne, and Sandra Bernhard.

The logic of the Jewish fundamentalists has been consistent since Madonna first donned tefillin in 1988 and joined Berg’s World Centre for Kabbalah. After all, Jewish religious authorities have reiterated the standard rules for kabbalistic study: adherents must be:

1) authentically Jewish 2) male 3) over forty and married 4) educated in traditional Jewish law and Biblical exegesis 5) fluent in the ancient languages of Jewish mystical texts 6) working under the supervision of a recognized kabbalistic master or vunderrebbe.

According to the rabbis, Madonna fulfills none of these basic requirements. Therefore, her public embrace of Kabbalah is invalid, sacrilegious, cultish, or patently ridiculous. It is nothing less than an ersatz and vulgar New Age theft from a pure and non-commercial religious past.

Little do the protectors of Prophetic Judaism know that Madonna and Berg’s notion of Kabbalah is older and was more widely observed than their restrictive versions. The most illustrious rabbinical authority, Rashi, who lived during the time of the First Crusade, issued few proclamations that separated female from male prayer in his devotional rites. Rashi’s daughter wrapped tellifin around her left arm and forehead just as the master’s male students did.

After the expulsion of Jews from Iberia in the 1490s, kabbalistic scholars found willing and enthusiastic patrons in Christian Italy and France. Aristocratic Gentiles funded the Spanish Jews’ esoteric activities and learned Practical Kabbalah from them. Ecstatic prayer, ritual crying, the blending of perfumes from "Adamic scents," magical recitations from sacred Hebraic-Aramaic texts ("Abracadabra"), and the occult transposition of letters and numbers (gematria) quickly leaked into the popular Gentile imagination. Modern astrology, palmistry, phrenology, and other forms of fortune telling were soon associated with Jewish wisdom and symbology.

In 1532, Giulio Camillo, an Italian contemporary of Leonardo and Nostradamus, built a 49-stage Memory Theatre for François I in Paris. It utilized 180 archetypal images from the Sefar Yeseriah and The Zohar, the two most revered books from the Spanish kabbalistic canon. Erasmus’ disciple, Gilberto Cousino, was especially taken with the image of the naked Girl Whose Hair Points to the Sun. He called Camillo’s Kabbalistic Project, "the Eighth Wonder of the World."

For centuries, both Christian peasants and intellectuals relied on Renaissance Jewish mystical techniques and teachings for spiritual uplift. These offered a supplement or reinterpretation to their more conventional religious instruction. From Vilna to Jassy, itinerant Jewish Kabbalists hawked amulets against the evil eye, magic potions that transformed enemies into friends, and Zoharistic spells, accompanied with supernatural gestures (where twisted fingers formed Hebrew letters). Many a Jewish boy preferred the traveling life of the kabbalistic mendicant to the musty and claustrophobic backrooms of the shul. This was a Jewish cottage industry that lasted well into the nineteenth century.

Edicts against this commercial form of Jewish mysticism were wide spread and draconian but largely ineffective. The rabbis and Czarist police could suppress and delimit the belief in Practical Kabbalah but not destroy it. Its roots in the popular European imagination were far too seductive and historically deep.

In a way, Berg and Madonna have merely resurrected a 500 year-old tradition – a legitimate Jewish-Gentile tradition that predates the contemporary rabbis’ statutes by many hundreds of years.

Practical Kabbalah

Kabbalah is a Hebrew word that is usually defined as "received wisdom" and refers to the secret Gnostic teachings passed down by rabbis from the beginnings of the Jewish Diaspora. In Muslim and Christian Spain during the fourteenth century, Jewish mystical writers began to formalize kabbalist texts and magical ceremonies into a more coherent system of belief. For over two hundred years, they sought to uncover cryptic and existential meanings buried within the Torah and to make contact with the Ain-Sof (The Creator, or That Which Has No End).

Normally kabbalistic regimen involved two methodologies: kabbalah iyunit, or "Contemplative Kabbalah," which parsed the Great Mysteries through intellectual and meditative techniques, and kabbalah ma’asit, or "Practical Kabbalah," which sought to influence or alter reality through ritual means.

When the bulk of the Jewish population was expelled from Spain in 1492, after decades of forced conversions and public executions, Jewish theologians had to explicate why God had once again forsaken His People. At first, Divine Punishment could be explained in only two ways: either the Jews had brought this catastrophe upon themselves through improper behavior or the Holy One was indifferent to Jewish suffering. The Kabbalists offered a third possibility: the Ain-Sof was not omniscient, even weak, and had gone into hiding – like the Marannos themselves. The Sacred Name needed ten days to perfect Creation but only took six. It was, therefore, the duty of the Jews to assist God through tikkun haolam (repair of the world) and kabbalistic pursuits.

Practical Kabbalah gave form and significance to newly invented Jewish rituals. To a large degree, it was antinomian and opposed traditional clerical points of view and control. Practical Kabbalah adapted many classical Greek, pagan, Muslim, and Catholic concepts – like the Virgin Mary as the Perfect Woman, or Shekinah, who intercedes for the Jewish people in heaven, and who appears exactly at midnight each Friday night during conjugal intercourse.

Much of what we know about popular kabbalist activities comes from obscure Jewish chapbooks and little-known memoirs. A typical example is Chaim Aronson’s autobiography. In his picturesque life story, penned in Hebrew, Aronson describes his apprenticeship during the 1830s in Vilna with Eliezer the Kabbalist. Runaway yeshiva-bukhers like Aronson were taught the Hebraic arts of amulet-making, recitation of spells and curses, even the evocation of Noah’s Flood (through the manipulation of splinters and threads from antique coffins and shrouds). According to Aronson, Eliezer could conjure up whole meals through kabbalist sleight-of-hand.

One aspect of Eliezer’s magical instruction stayed with Aronson decades later when he became a renown medical authority: the kabbalistic ability to read symptoms of disease from facial tics and other signs of physical deformity.

If we are to believe Aronson’s story, beneath Practical Kabbalah’s bizarre and much maligned history were fragments of modern science and an authentic capability to diagnose illness from the emanations of the mysterious human mind.

Full article here: http://jewcy.com/jewish-religion-and-...

---------------

Ein Sof, or Ayn Sof (/eɪn sɒf/, Hebrew: אין סוף‬), in Kabbalah, is understood as God prior to his self-manifestation in the production of any spiritual realm, probably derived from Ibn Gabirol's term, "the Endless One" (she-en lo tiklah). Ein Sof may be translated as "unending", "(there is) no end", or infinity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ein_Sof

message 37: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments Just think, Aronson could have opened up a medieval fast-food joint . . . .

message 38: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Gee | 5 comments The online Science Fiction magazine APHELION WEBZINE has published in their Flash Fiction Department, “Spirit’s Proxy.”

This extremely short story (well under three minutes to read) explains the reason for recent actions by religious fanatic terrorists.

Should you have any interest in RELIGION, this story is for you. Wonder what happens when you die?

Please GOTO

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/flash...

message 39: by Iain (new)

Iain McKenzie (Iain_mckenzie) | 2357 comments C.E. wrote: "The online Science Fiction magazine APHELION WEBZINE has published in their Flash Fiction Department, “Spirit’s Proxy.”

This extremely short story (well under three minutes to read) explains the ..."

I am still wondering? Was there a message in that . . .

message 41: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum Et Theosophicum

After nearly 300 years, one of the most important alchemical andmagical texts of all time has been translated into English. This bookwill appeal to anyone interested in the history or practical aspects ofalchemy, astrology, magick, Rosicrucianism, esoteric Freemasonry, and the Golden Dawn.

Opus Mago-Cabbalisticum Et Theosophicum by Georg Von Welling

message 42: by WILLIAMw (new)

WILLIAMw | 19 comments I have an equivalent one that also teaches.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 43: by James, Group Founder (new)

message 44: by B. (new)

B. | 163 comments Currently I’m reading The Way of Thomas by John Mabry. Very interesting premise that the reason the gospel of Thomas was left out of canonical catholic and Christian faith is because it points a mystic and esoteric experience of God and heaven rather than to a concrete institution. I’ve read the gospel of Thomas by Pagals and have long been interested in this idea that Christianity was supposed to be a mystical, inward journey rather than a destination per se. The author often compares true Christianity to Buddhism and for good reason-we need to stop looking outside of ourselves and look inside instead-we are the source of our own salvation...we are the kingdom....we are one with One...

This is frightening and enlightening.

message 45: by WILLIAMw (new)

WILLIAMw | 19 comments B. wrote: "Currently I’m reading The Way of Thomas by John Mabry. Very interesting premise that the reason the gospel of Thomas was left out of canonical catholic and Christian faith is because it points a my..."
I, read the gospel of Thomas and found it to be highly insightful and enlightening.

message 46: by B. (new)

B. | 163 comments William...I’ve read the gospel(or what’s left of it) many times and it’s always fascinated me even though i didnt really understand it.

Mabry point out that it was specifically left mysterious, much like a Zen Koan, for people to unravel. This book is an interesting take on what the author believes thomas is saying...having recently been thoroughly studying Buddhism, Zen and Tibetan, I agree with much of what he is saying. I love the mystery which is what drives me to search further for that esoteric knowledge...good stuff!!

message 48: by James, Group Founder (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Chaos magic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_m...

Chaos magic, also spelled chaos magick, is a contemporary magical practice. It was initially developed in England in the 1970s, drawing heavily from the philosophy of artist and occultist Austin Osman Spare.[1] Sometimes referred to as "success magic" or "results-based magic", chaos magic claims to emphasize the attainment of specific results over the symbolic, ritualistic, theological or otherwise ornamental aspects of other occult traditions.[2]

Chaos magic has been described as a union of traditional occult techniques and applied postmodernism[3] – particularly a postmodernist skepticism concerning the existence or knowability of objective truth.[4] Chaos magicians subsequently treat belief as a tool, often creating their own idiosyncratic magical systems and frequently borrowing from other magical traditions, religious movements, popular culture and various strands of philosophy.[3]

message 50: by James, Group Founder (new)

James Morcan | 8068 comments Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe

Synopsis:

The chief scientist at the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) turns a critical eye toward such practices as telepathy, clairvoyance, precognition and psychokinesis. Are such powers really possible? Science says yes.

According to noted scientist and bestselling author of The Conscious Universe, Dean Radin, magic is a natural aspect of reality, and each of us can tap into this power with diligent practice.

But wait, aren't things like ESP and telepathy just wishful thinking and flights of the imagination? Not according to the author, who worked on the US government's top secret psychic espionage program known as Stargate. Radin has spent the last forty years conducting controlled experiments that demonstrate that thoughts are things, that we can sense others' emotions and intentions from a distance, that intuition is more powerful than we thought, and that we can tap into the power of intention (think The Secret, only on a more realistic and scientific level). These dormant powers can help us to lead more interesting and fulfilling lives.

Beginning with a brief history of magic over the centuries (what was called magic two thousand years ago is turning out to be scientific fact today), a review of the scientific evidence for magic, a series of simple but effective magical techniques (the key is mental focus, something elite athletes know a lot about), Radin then offers a vision of a scientifically-informed magic and explains why magic will play a key role in frontiers of science.

Real Magic Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe by Dean Radin

« previous 1