What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Beautifully illustrated witch themed children's book

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tali (new)

Tali | 8 comments Looking for a colorful children's book which was illustrated beautifully. Don't remember much about it, except that it had a witch theme (moon, bats etc.) and there was a clover-shaped window in one of the pages.

message 2: by Tali (new)

Tali | 8 comments Good question! I guess sometime between 2000-2010.

message 3: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments If published in that time you could try searching witch or witches on worldcat.org with limits juvenile fiction book English and year range. Time consuming but sometimes elimination is useful.

message 4: by Tali (new)

Tali | 8 comments Almost 4,000 results...

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott Maybe Witches?

message 7: by Tali (new)

Tali | 8 comments It isn't either of these books :( but thanks anyway! !
I think it's for younger ages (perhaps a few sentences on each page), the illustrations were simple and accurate, and there may have been a mouse as well.

message 8: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments New or older book at the time? Obviously a clover shaped window would be spotted by someone who had read the book, so a process of elimination may be the only way to find it if no one recognises it straight off. Cover images can be found on Google Images, abebooks, librarything.com, etc. Reviews can be found on Google Books, kirkusreviews, etc. It's a matter of persistence.

message 9: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Sarah so small
Author: Tanguy Gréban; Quentin Gréban
Publisher: New York : Milk & Cookies Press, [2004]
After accidentally swallowing a witch's pearl, Sarah shrinks down to the size of a field mouse, so she and her animal friends set out to the witch's castle to find the cure.

The Witch with a Twitch by Layn Marlow

Darlene Halloween and the great Chicago fire
Author: Peter J Welling
Publisher: Gretna, La. : Pelican Pub. Co., 2007.
A tall tale of a field mouse whose efforts to save her grandchildren not only destroy the last witch in Chicago, they start the great Chicago fire, as well, and earn her the honor of having the last day of October named for her family, the Halloweens.

message 10: by Tali (last edited Jul 29, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

Tali | 8 comments Not these books either, I'm afraid. I saw it at a library, so I'm not sure how old it was. I was hoping, as you said, that the clover-shaped window would ring a bell.

message 11: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments The window is a good clue. Bump this thread every month or so, someone might recognize it.

message 12: by bookel (new)

bookel | 2106 comments Apart from that I do suggest the worldcat search even if there are many results.You may come across a cover by looking it up on Google Images or eBay etc and recognize it.

message 13: by Angharad (new)

Angharad | 99 comments Maybe Steven Kellogg's The Christmas Witch? (I've actually been looking for it for awhile, and searching for your book turned it up for me!)

Amazon has a few interior shots: http://www.amazon.com/The-Christmas-W...

Do you remember anything about the style of illustrations: colorful or muted, realistic or cartoonish? That type of stuff can help narrow it down, too.

message 14: by Tali (new)

Tali | 8 comments I'm glad you found your book!
I was just thinking how I lack the illustration proficiency needed to recognize and describe the style of the book.
Here goes anyway: it was very clean (sharp?), simple, symmetrical, proportional, colorful (purple), not very detailed, not blurred, not really realistic and was just... aaargh- beautiful.

message 15: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments A few books to checkout Big Pumpkin Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman

One Witch by Laura Leuck One Witch

Did the illustrations look like watercolors, flat graphics, pencil, etc?

Do you remember how the witch looked? Was she old, young, green, dressed in black, etc?

Did the illustrations take up the whole page?

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Fraser | 43 comments Not 'beautiful' but fun and distinctive pictures in this one-
Witches by Colin Hawkins

message 17: by Tali (new)

Tali | 8 comments Not there yet, I'm afraid. But thanks! !
Pretty sure the illustrations weren't in pencil or water graphics. I think they took up the whole page.
I don't actually remember a witch per se, but a witch-theme; night, bats etc.
Not beautiful as in scenery or pretty characters etc., but unusually clean, symmetrical illustrations.

message 18: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Do you mean there was a clover shaped hole in one of pages? What could you see behind the clover opening/how was the clover used in the book?

message 19: by Tali (last edited Aug 09, 2014 08:05PM) (new)

Tali | 8 comments It was an illustrated clover-shaped window (no holes) pretty sure it was a black frame. There was some kind of character next to it, and the night , maybe moon as well, seen through it.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38171 comments Mod
Tali, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 21: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38171 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Tali, are you still looking for this or did you find it?"

No response in 2 years. Moving to Abandoned.