Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > May 2018 Member of the month..THE BURNING ...by S.O.Esposito

Comments Showing 1-50 of 149 (149 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 667 comments Mod
So this person came to me before i can get out of the bathroom, she has a 4.17 rating on this book, and she is giving away FREE for reviews, so she also has a site here to get on and heck it out....So without further a do, here is S. O. Esposito,,,,,,,,take it away.....This thread is ALL about you for the next 30 days....I want to thank you to be the first to step up to the plate.

message 2: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Hi Everyone! And thank you so much Stephanie for letting me yap about my new psychological suspense, THE BURNING.
Here's a summary:

Alice Leininger seems to have the perfect life. She’s happily married, has two beautiful children, a close-knit group of friends, and a cause she cares deeply about. But beneath the surface, her world of safety and comfort is unraveling. The periods of lost time she’s kept secret—even from her husband—are happening more frequently. She certainly doesn’t remember leaving her Sarasota home at three-thirty in the morning to burn someone alive. Now she sits in a Florida state mental institution, awaiting judgment on whether she’s fit to stand trial on charges of murder and arson. While a psychologist works to help Alice face her past, her future depends on the answer to one question: How far did she go for justice?

I'll probably post some things like the story behind this story, etc. but right now I just want to let you know there is a Goodreads giveaway going on for this book. You can win 1 of 100 eBooks. Or if you can't wait cause it sounds right up your alley and you're going to be stuck on a plane or whatever, you can buy it for just 6.99. On Amazon of course, right? *cough cough*

So, any questions??? Comments? Does it sound like something you'd like to read? Let me know so I'm not talking to myself on here. :-)
The Burning

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Yarmolkevich | 22 comments This sounds so interesting! Sounds like a book I would definitely read in a heartbeat. Is it available on Kindle as an e-book? I have a visual impairment and cannot read print books and would really like to read this book. Thanks!

message 4: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Hi Nicole,

Thanks for commenting, Nicole. Yes, it is available as a Kindle eBook & I'd really love you to read it. :-)

Here's the Amazon link (hope I'm allowed to post that on here):

https://www.amazon.com/Burning-S-Espo...

message 5: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Oh, one thing that I like readers to know:

*This book is recommended for mature audiences. While there are no scenes of graphic or explicit violence, it does touch on themes of trafficking and assault."

message 6: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments S.O. I would love to read this book. Is there a link to download an ebook in exchange for a review? Many thanks. Vickie

message 7: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Hi Vickie, there isn't BUT I am giving away 100 eBooks here:

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

message 8: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments S.O. Just entered giveaway - many thanks.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments Hello S.O., your summary differently piqued my interest to read :D Entered the giveaway . . . if I'm not one of the lucky ones to win, you can be sure I'll bop on over to Amazon. Many thanks for sharing!

message 10: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Angela, she is giving away Ebook, so she can download it to you on whatever you have!

message 11: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Vickie wrote: "S.O. Just entered giveaway - many thanks."

Awesome, good luck!

message 12: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Angela wrote: "Hello S.O., your summary differently piqued my interest to read :D Entered the giveaway . . . if I'm not one of the lucky ones to win, you can be sure I'll bop on over to Amazon. Many thanks for sh..."

Thanks Angela! :-)

message 13: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 38 comments Thanks for letting us know about the giveaway, S.O. I have entered, although I just missed the first 100 entries!

message 14: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Anne (w/ an E) wrote: "Thanks for letting us know about the giveaway, S.O. I have entered, although I just missed the first 100 entries!"

I don't think it matters if you're in the first 100. Goodreads picks randomly at the end. Good luck! :-)

message 15: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments So, thought I'd give you guys a little insight into where this book came from. Alice's story began in a piece of flash fiction I wrote about 7 yrs. ago. (She was Kali, the goddess of war, locked up in a mental institution.) But she wanted a longer story and seriously would not leave me alone.

Some of her life came to me in pieces, scenes actually, that I dutifully wrote down over the years. She was a mother with two small children. She was orphaned at birth, spent her life in and out of a children’s home. She couldn’t remember anything before her thirteenth birthday. I have to say, she confused me.

Was she a goddess of war? Was she a human mother? Was this a fantasy story? Magical realism? Paranormal? And then it hit me. She was both a human mother and the goddess of war, and this was a psychological suspense. They don’t call it multiple personalities anymore, now it’s called dissociative identity disorder, and this is what Alice has. Or does she? (I’ll let the reader decide) The part of Alice that calls herself Kali insists she’s a goddess having a human experience. She’s also the one who gets Alice in serious trouble. Arrested for arson and murder, in fact.

It wasn’t my intention to tackle sexual assault and human trafficking but that’s where Kali led me, and who am I to argue with the goddess of war? Especially when I found out my home state of Florida ranks third in the state for human trafficking cases. It seems kind of serendipitous to me that she led me down this road just as the #Metoo and #Timesup movements arrived. I’m excited that this book can add to the conversation and hopefully the healing process for all women.

message 16: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 38 comments S.O. wrote: "Anne (w/ an E) wrote: "Thanks for letting us know about the giveaway, S.O. I have entered, although I just missed the first 100 entries!"

I don't think it matters if you're in the first 100. Goodr..."

I don't think it matters, either. I just thought it was an odd coincidence.

message 17: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 65 comments Sounds interesting but i'm not able to buy though is there a chance of getting one free in exchange for reviews... If so would like to be able to read and review and you can get hold me by private message faster way to contact me... Thank you

message 18: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Janeandjerry wrote: "Sounds interesting but i'm not able to buy though ..."

Hi, I appreciate your interest! I've already given away all the ARC's I can, BUT I am giving away 100 eBooks on here so be sure to enter the giveaway & good luck! :-)

https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

message 19: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 65 comments S.O. wrote: "Janeandjerry wrote: "Sounds interesting but i'm not able to buy though ..."

Hi, I appreciate your interest! I've already given away all the ARC's I can, BUT I am giving away 100 eBooks on here so ..."

Entered thank you 🙏

message 20: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments I'd love to discuss this book with you guys/answer questions so I'm going to start posting excerpts in the hope of enticing you to read it now rather than later :-)

Soooooo..... CHAPTER ONE

SEPTEMBER 30th, PRESENT DAY
The irony alone could make a mad woman out of me. When I think about how Jake believed he was saving me—he liked the idea of being my knight in shining armor, rescuing me from the rusty trailer park full of meth addicts and sex offenders and tucking me safely up in a tower like a fairy princess—while all along I’d carried her, harbored her within me like a virus, brought her into our home. Neither of us was aware of her, waiting in the shadows to burn our new fairytale life to the ground. Neither of us saw the darkness coming.
Our “tower” is a five-million-dollar condo in Sarasota, Florida, on a twenty-two acre peninsula called Golden Gate Point. The peninsula is a coveted waterfront community, once owned by the circus magnate, John Ringling. I find this ironic now, too, as my life has quickly spiraled into its own miniature version of a media circus. I’ve been reduced to gossip and speculation, the thing splashed over the internet which people pass back and forth over roasted chicken, fodder for armchair detectives. I am the news.
So where to begin? That’s always the hard part, isn’t it? You have to pick an appropriate moment, like finding the frayed end in a tangled ball of yarn, and let it lead the way. I guess I’ll start with this: My name is Alice Brown-Leininger. I’m a thirty-year-old mother of two, and I’m in deep, deep trouble.
They say there are two sides to every story and then there’s the truth. I can only give you my side and hope that it’s the truth. But who knows. I haven’t been present for large chunks of my life. How is that possible, you ask? Asking that question led me to the place where I am now … the forensic wing of Bayside Psychiatric Hospital.
Being committed and separated from my children has always been the thing I’ve feared most. When it came to pass, it was almost a relief. Like an exhale, a letting go. Knowing the worst has happened, the monster in my rearview mirror has me in its jaws and my only choice is surrender. Pretty freeing.
Of course, that relief has faded quickly. Now that I must inhale each new painful, bleach- and-urine-scented moment here at Bayside, enduring a lonely month-long evaluation. One that will tell the courts whether I’m fit to stand trial on charges of first degree murder and arson.
Either way, I must warn you, this story won’t have a happy ending. I will either be deemed incompetent to proceed to trial and spend the rest of my days within these walls, or I’ll be found competent and spend them behind bars.
I haven’t decided which fate would be worse. As it is now, I’m surrounded by electric barbed wire fencing and am housed in a unit with twenty other beds and group showers. I may have more privacy in prison. Maybe even coffee.
Either way, being there to tuck in my kids at night, pressing my face to their silky hair, hearing them laugh, watching them discover the world, this is all just a memory for me now. Moments blown away like dandelion seeds, a breath and a wish. My sweet, sweet fairytale life has dissolved into the darkness. All that’s left for me is grief. Of course, it’s probably what I deserve. Now that I’ve learned I was the monster all along.

message 21: by S.O. (last edited Apr 28, 2018 12:24PM) (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Since I'd really like to take advantage of Stephanie's generosity in giving me a thread to have a conversation with you guys about this book, and I can't do that unless some of you actually read the book, I've decided instead of just telling you about the Goodreads giveaway, I'm going to give out ARC's to anyone in this group who feels like THE BURNING would be a good fit for them and is willing to discuss the book when they're finished reading.

Just message me here on Goodreads & I'll get you a link. :-)

message 22: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments S.O. I replied to your message. Thanks.
Vickie

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela Bennett | 62 comments I downloaded an ARC of THE BURNING, and look forward to reading :)

message 24: by Jim (last edited May 01, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 249 comments Wowzer! Y'all are rolling hot ♨here and it isn't even May yet! This thread is gonna set a record for comments. I'm sure of it! I will be opening up my May BOTM site on the first with links and stuff for this, our first Member of the Month (MOTM) book. I'll run both threads together over there, just for the sake of my sanity. Yunno, rather than opening up yet another site. Right now I am having some trouble because I burned my index finger on a HOT ♨glue gun. These things should be banned, too! Since our MOTM book is THE BURNING♨, that's kinda appropriate, uh?

Anyway, glad you've joined the party S.O. I've entered the giveaway, so maybe I'll get lucky. Sounds like a book title, eh? In fact I think it's already a book title.

So y'all go out and talk about this on Facebook and Twitter. Get more alive and lively folks to c'mon in here!

Cheers! Jim in MT😎 http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

message 25: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments Jim - I am reading The Burning now. I was caught in the first page. Still reading - and it’s very mysterious and intriguing already!!
VIckie S

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 249 comments Vickie wrote: "Jim - I am reading The Burning now. I was caught in the first page. Still reading - and it’s very mysterious and intriguing already!!
VIckie S"

Yikes! I'll probably have to buy it now!

message 27: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments Jim - send S.O. Esposito a message and she will send you a link to download the book - make sure you tell her that you are with this group. But I would do it now and not wait! Vickie S.

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 249 comments Vickie wrote: "Jim - send S.O. Esposito a message and she will send you a link to download the book - make sure you tell her that you are with this group. But I would do it now and not wait! Vickie S."

Thanks! I'll jump right on it. I was just in her website and will go back there. She has to HUGE dogs and we will certainly want to post pictures of them!

message 29: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments Jim - that’s great. I just sent her a message through GR - and she responded quickly.

message 30: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Hi Jim, I responded to your email, & yes my mastiffs are big (Atlas weighs in at 180 lbs) but also the biggest babies in the world. :-)

message 31: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments Omg SO - 180 lbs - Yikes - does the dog walk you?? Vickie S

message 32: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Vickie wrote: "Omg SO - 180 lbs - Yikes - does the dog walk you?? Vickie S"

He's actually really considerate on a leash but sometimes he does unintentionally knock me over when he's excited about getting outside. :-)

message 33: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments WOW - My little Yorkies are only 7 lbs a piece - couldn’t even imagine a dog that huge!

message 34: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments S.O. I am really intrigued by this book. To be honest, I don't want to put it down, because i want to see what happens next with Alice. She is really down spiraling for sure. I'm wondering why her husband didn't realize that she was having blackouts. I would think that since they had been married for 8 years, he would have definitely picked up on something so horrendous. I really love your writing style in this book,

message 35: by S.O. (new)

S.O. Esposito (soesposito) | 44 comments Vickie wrote: "S.O. I am really intrigued by this book. To be honest, I don't want to put it down, because i want to see what happens next with Alice. She is really down spiraling for sure. I'm wondering why her ..."

So glad you're enjoying it so far, Vickie. I don't want to give away too much since you're at the beginning of Alice's story, but basically people see what they expect to see. And just because she doesn't remember, doesn't mean she was in distress during the blackouts.

Also, I love Yorkies. I had a male who lived to be 15 & it crushed me to lose him. He never knew how small he was, always going after possums and bigger dogs. They may be small, but they have huge hearts.

message 36: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments S.O. I understand. Yes these two act like they weigh 180 lbs. our walks are never dull that’s for sure - LOL!!

message 37: by Jim (last edited May 01, 2018 07:02AM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 249 comments ZOUNDS! Atlas weighs more than I do, but then I'm on a Vegan diet and have lost probably 45 pounds over the past few years. (GREAT VEGAN RECIPES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST!) I have pants with all sorts of crazy sizes!

So we are going to want to see pictures of these big dogs. SEND DOG PICS TO ME, S.O. and I will post them!!.

My current Lab is around 95 and is dieting. My old Rottie was a good 125 and that was formattable. She totally loved Mastiffs and went insane when we ran into two Italian Mastiffs in the park. It was quite a shameful spectacle!

message 38: by Jim (last edited May 01, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 249 comments Woo-Hoo! TODAY IS MAY DAY!😍

The BOTM/MOTM website is OPEN: http://botm.blackdogebooks.com/

message 39: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 65 comments Not to jump off this one but do we have another book for May as well? I seem not to be able to find it listed is why i'm asking

message 40: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Just woke up, so it will be up in a few ...

message 41: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 65 comments Great thank you this way I can see if I'm able to buy and join in on them... Have a great reading day and check back in later

message 42: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I started reading this book late last night. The first page didn't hit me, but after the 4th page, I was reading with a bag of chips and dip. Now what is the difference between a Ho-Hooker-Prostitute,,,Jake 2 kids, a nanny named Aurora and Tatts that say who you belong to? that sounds a bit like slavery don't it? But WOW, opening a book and your at a funeral, GEEZE LOUISE...Are you a good person if you are any of the 3 oldest profession? I remember awhile back I rented my home out to a female who had a child and she worked at ShotGun Willie's...Rent was never late. I wanted to actually go down and see her work, I really did, I asked my husband if he wanted to go, but he looked at me like I was crazy. She was a pole dancer I guess like this Cardi B.

message 43: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Jane/Jerry, The list you should follow, because your getting the title in advance, so you should see if the price is right for you!

message 44: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 65 comments The book was only 99 cents so I was able to but it today after I read the preview on Goodreads and I can't wait to get started reading on it as well... Thank you again Stephanie

message 45: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Your welcome...No is anyone going to talk about prostitutes????..How about Branding?

message 46: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments The word Ho used to mean that the woman didn’t get paid, whereas Hooker and Prostitutes get paid for sexual services. The Burning could have many connotations in this book. A burning desire for revenge - a way for revenge would be to burn someone or kill them. It could also mean the individual is burning inside with rage against someone else. (I’m trying not to give anything away yet for those who haven’t started reading this book 😁)
Vickie S

message 47: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (JANEANDJERRYCULWELL) | 65 comments I've started but yet to get far in this book but agree with Vickie though one is paid for where other is just giving it away

message 48: by stephanie, MOD (new)

When I was growing up, The Burning, meant the disease that one would get by ..well you know,,,,SEX

message 49: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Robert Ehlenfeldt
to:

stephanie Dead or alive, your coming with me..
subject:
re: [Psychological Thrillers] Hey everybody
Haven't read the book but ho's, hookers, prostitutes: difference is price; you get what you pay for.

message 50: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 80 comments Steph - that’s interesting- never heard of that before.
Vickie S

« previous 1 3