All About Books discussion

Readalongs > The Charterhouse of Parma (Gill, Katie, Terri, Anastasia , Lesley, Jenny and anyone else who would like to join in)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments A few of us had expressed interest in reading this in August. Are you (and anyone else) still interested in the read? Whenabouts in the month suits you best to start?

message 2: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13031 comments Mod
I'm not a great fan of Stendhal. I'll give a look at what you think

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Gill, I won't make it unfortunately!

message 4: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments To be honest I'm pretty busy this month, so unless everyone else is desperate to read it I'm happy to leave it for the time being.

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I am still interested in reading this but am willing to go with the flow regarding timing...

message 6: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments I'll read it in the month, but if nobody has hurry, then maybe I will postpone it for the end of the month :)

message 7: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments How about we read this later in the month then, say starting roundabout the 20th? What do you think about that?

message 8: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments It's fine by me!

message 9: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Thanks, Anastasia . The 20th it is then.

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Gill wrote: "Thanks, Anastasia . The 20th it is then."

Sounds good to me!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll also schedule this for the 20th. :)

message 12: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Ok, I've got my copy and am starting tomorrow!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm ready as well! :)

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I am in a bit of a reading slump so I might end up skipping this.

message 15: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Leslie wrote: "I am in a bit of a reading slump so I might end up skipping this."

Okey, dokey!

message 16: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Is anyone else reading this? It's not gripping me, so if no-one else is, I'll stop reading it, and start something else.

message 17: by Anastasia (last edited Aug 20, 2014 12:31PM) (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments I will join you but I'll be some days late, I have to finish a book of the library before starting this because I must return the books on loan in time, argh!
Just a matter of 4-5 days. :)

message 18: by Gill (last edited Aug 20, 2014 02:19PM) (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Ok, Anastasia. Let me know when you are ready and I'll read very slowly till then!

message 19: by Noorilhuda (new)

Noorilhuda | 185 comments Gill not this month. Tank / Shelf is full! ;)

Gill wrote: "A few of us had expressed interest in reading this in August. Are you (and anyone else) still interested in the read? Whenabouts in the month suits you best to start?"

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Gill, I agree with you. I've read almost 100 pages, and it's just not for me. I'm afraid I'm going to give this one up.

message 21: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Terri wrote: "Gill, I agree with you. I've read almost 100 pages, and it's just not for me. I'm afraid I'm going to give this one up."

That's fine, Terri. I'm hoping I get to like it more, but not optimistic.

message 22: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Anastasia, I'm sorry, but I've read a bit more, and it really isn't for me. It's unusual for me to stop partway through a book, but I really don't want to continue with this one.

message 23: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Just out of curiosity, what is everyone disliking about it? I haven't read this one, but I liked The Red and the Black. I wonder if I'd like to read this one someday or not.

message 24: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments At the risk of sounding like several students I have taught over the years, it's boring. I don't like the writing style (possibly the translation? ) and I 'm not interested in the characters. And I'm duty bound to finish Return of the Native for my face to face book group, so I need to persevere with that one.

message 25: by Greg (last edited Aug 21, 2014 08:48AM) (new)

Greg | 7264 comments Mod
Always tricky with translations. I had wildly different experiences with different translations of Fathers and Sons by Turgenev.

That's too bad, to be stuck in the middle of two books at once that you're not enjoying! After you're done with The Return of the Native, you should treat yourself to a special favorite!

message 26: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (universe_beats) | 401 comments No problem, Gill! Maybe if nobody is going to read it now I'll skip it too..
I've just abandoned The Information by Martin Amis which was pretty disappointing and boring. A struggle. I'm not eager to read a book that could give me same sensations now..:(

message 27: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Anastasia wrote: "No problem, Gill! Maybe if nobody is going to read it now I'll skip it too..
I've just abandoned The Information by Martin Amis which was pretty disappointing and boring. A struggle. ..."

Definitely not two in succession, Anastasia!