The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Barbara vs Becca-Rawr

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves

Mediterranean Avenue - Favorites Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Fiction Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Wishlist Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books I Own Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place - Ebooks Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Book Club Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Reviewed - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - 2012 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Must Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - 5 Stars - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Re-Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - 2010 Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Library Books - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Recommended Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Stand Alone Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
North Carolina Avenue - Love Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Part of a Series Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Park Place - Never Finished Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.

message 3: by Paris (last edited Jul 27, 2014 09:07AM) (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Oct 05, 2014 12:50PM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Property owned by:
(it'll be easier to keep track of who owns what)

Mediterranean Avenue -
Baltic Avenue -

Oriental Avenue -
Vermont Avenue - Barbara
Connecticut Avenue -

St. Charles Place - Becca
States Avenue -
Virginia Avenue - Barbara

St. James Place -
Tennessee Avenue -
New York Avenue -

Kentucky Avenue - Barbara
Indiana Avenue - Becca
Illinois Avenue -

Atlantic Avenue -
Ventnor Avenue -
Marvin Gardens -

Pacific Avenue -
North Carolina Avenue - Barbara
Pennsylvania Avenue -

Park Place -
Boardwalk -

Electric Company
Water Works

Reading Railroad -
Pennsylvania Railroad
B&O Railroad – Barbara
Short Line

Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free-
3. Holiday Fund Matures -
4. Yes Sir! -
5. Go Directly to Jail-
6. Laugh Riot -
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces-
8. Fight Night -
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place-
10. You Inherit $100 -
11. Pay the Hospital -
12. You've won a beauty contest -

Chance
2. Advance to Illinois Ave-
3. Fright Night -
4. Get out of Jail Free-
5. Play Ball -
6. Go to Jail-
7. Sing A Long -
8. Go Back 3 Spaces-
9. Warm & Fuzzy -
10. It's Your Birthday -
11. Great Job! -
12. Pay For School -

message 5: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Hey! I'm really exited to play with you, :) would you like to roll first?

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Becca-Rawr wrote: "Hey! I'm really exited to play with you, :) would you like to roll first?"

Hi Becca, I'm also excited to start our round. And I can roll first.

Roll 1: 3+5=8 - Vermont Avenue

I'll read:

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

message 7: by Becca-Rawr (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:07PM) (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Hey,great roll! And thanks for the friend request, :) Here goes my roll...

Roll 1: 3+1=4 - Income Tax

I have to read a book with a rich or poor character, or someone who works in a bank. I'm a little stuck with this one! I have to go hunting for the right book, I'll be back with my decision, :D

I'll read...

The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) by Douglas Preston

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) The only books I can think about with such a theme are Fifty Shades of Gray's copies. Maybe it's because I've seen the trailer of the movie and liked it? *the shame*

But I hope you'll find something enjoyable to read :D.

message 9: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments I was going to read that but it's really out of my element so I chickened out, xD I've decided to re-read one of my favorites, :D I put the book I'm reading in the post I rolled in so it's easy to find.

Happy reading!

message 10: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3) by Douglas Preston

Finished: 7/30/2014
Rating: ★★★★★
Review:
This is one of my favorite book series ever, and I love a good excuse to go back and read them, :) I've read this one several times but it still nice to go through again. It fits "Income Tax" because the main character is extremely wealthy.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Congratulations on finishing your first book! Pity, you can't buy the income tax :D. And after reading your review I think I'll look for this series in my library.

And you can roll the dice without waiting for me :D. Although, I hope I'll finish Cinder tomorrow.

message 12: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Thanks! And yes, do read the book, they're great, :) Definitely one of my favorite series ever.

message 13: by Becca-Rawr (last edited Jul 30, 2014 07:58PM) (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Starting Space: Income Tax
Roll: 4+3=7 -
New Space: St. Charles Place

E-Books

I'll read...

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

message 14: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

Finished: 7/31/2014
Rating: ★★★★
Review:
When I started this book, I wasn't sure what to expect. A Cinderella story in a distopian world? It sounded strange, even to me. I thought that the main character would be a poor, misunderstood girl, but I was wrong. The world created by Marissa Meyer was truly interesting and I didn't want to stop reading. Although, after reading few chapters, it was easy to see what will happen (not mentioning the whole Cinderella inspiration), I still was captivated. And I hope Emperor Kai will mature in the next part.

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: Vermont Avenue
Roll: 3+3=6
New Space: Virginia Avenue

Book Club Shelf

I'll read:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Finished: 8/08/2014
Rating: ★★
Review:
A short one, because I didn't like the book. But at the same time, I don't think it deserves one star. Everyone writes how poor Christopher was, but I felt sorry for his father. And I admired his strength and the will to get up out of the bed each day. I know that Chris' illness wasn't his fault, but still... Don't recommend at all.

message 17: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: Virginia Avenue
Roll: 1+6=7
New Space: Kentucky Avenue

2011 shelf

I'll read:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 18: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Hey, I'm just checking in so you don't think I disappeared. I got really busy with work, but I'm almost done with the book I'm on now, so I'll probably post and roll tomorrow evening, :) (AND I have some days off coming up, so I should be a little reading machine.)

See you soon!

message 19: by Becca-Rawr (last edited Sep 26, 2014 06:38PM) (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

Finished: 8-15-2014
Review:
This book was a great way to end the series. I was a little nervous because not many people have been giving it five stars, but I liked it. The author is very anti-cliche with the way the book ends, so it's not all fire, brimstone, and celebrations, which meant the ending seemed right. The only thing that bothered me was a list of unresolved questions. I felt a few characters/plot points were explained away too easily, even if they were important or meant a lot to me.

message 20: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Starting Space: St. Charles Place
Roll: 6+6=12
New Space: Indiana Avenue

5 Stars

I'll read...

Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Hi Becca, I updated your results and I'm glad you're still in. Don't worry I'm in no hurry to finish our game :). I also liked Mockingjay and can't wait to see the movie.

As for my book, I have a problem with finishing it and I think I'll change Ready Player Oneit for something else.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Ok, it's been almost two weeks and I still can't finish Ready Player One. So, I'd like to pick something else.

I'm going to read The Giver. It sounds like an interesting book and I also want to see the movie :).

And how do you like Insurgent so far?

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Finished: 4/09/2014
Rating: ★★★
Review:
Well, this book was different for me and I have a really mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I loved the world's building. During reading, I often stopped to think about our world and possible ways it could change without emotions. On the other hand, I hated the plot - it was so flat and predictable (and boring).

The Giver (The Giver #1) by Lois Lowry

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: Kentucky Avenue
Roll: 2+2=4
New Space: B&O Railroad

For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk

I'll read:

Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover

There are 1519 one-star reviews of this book, so I think it counts.

message 25: by Barbara (last edited Sep 16, 2014 02:28AM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Finished: 15/09/2014
Rating: ★★★★1/2
Review:
After reading the second book by Colleen Hover, I've fallen in love. The story of Will and Lake was so captivating and heart-warming. And I wish I hadn't read the ending first, because I wasn't so surprised by the plot's twist. I hope I'll be able to read next parts as soon as possible!

Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover

message 26: by Barbara (last edited Sep 16, 2014 04:16AM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: B&O Railroad
Roll: 2+5=7
New Space: North Carolina Avenue

Love Shelf - 2 books

My picks:

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell Lost and Found (Lost and Found, #1) by Nicole Williams

Seeing as I have some advantage, I won't roll the dices before your turn. Besides, I need to read those two books :).

message 27: by Becca-Rawr (last edited Sep 26, 2014 06:44PM) (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth

Finished: 9-26-2014
Review:
This took me a long time to read, but that is NO reflection on the book whatsoever. I loved the book. It started out slow, but picked up in the middle. I still love the characters, and the writing, and the plot, and I can't wait to read the final book, but I'm trying to hold back. I love how mysterious these books are, and how the author manages to tell you a lot, and yet not enough, at the same time.

message 28: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Starting Space: Indiana Avenue
Roll: 6+1
New Space: Go to Jail, D:

And I just rolled and got double 4's!

Phew, that was close. I only know one book where the character is in jail and I always land on it when I hit go to jail, XD

I think I'll roll for my next space tomorrow, since I already rolled twice tonight.

message 29: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Starting Space: Indiana Avenue
Roll: 6+1 = 7
New Space: Community Chest

Roll: 6+4=10

10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.

I'll read a book I was given over the summer, :)

The Lost Island (Gideon Crew, #3) by Douglas Preston

message 30: by Barbara (last edited Oct 05, 2014 12:50PM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Two books this time:

Lost and Found (Lost and Found, #1) by Nicole Williams

Finished: 2/10/2014
Review:
I wasn't too sure what should I expect from this book. It was a freebie on Amazon and usually I'm distrustful of such novels. But I really liked this one. Both main characters were well-developed and although it was an almost insta-love, I still liked it. Jamie was such a forgiving boyfriend. And I'm looking forward to reading the next part.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Finished: 5/10/2014
Rating: ★★★★1/2
Review:
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Maybe because it was about fanfiction of which I'm a huge fan. Or maybe because it was about a shy girl finding her prince on white horse (or to be more precise - in old truck). "Fangirl" was a heart-warming novel and I loved almost every moment of it.

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: North Carolina Avenue
Roll: 4+4 = 8
New Space: Go

*Go, go Power Rangers* Ok, I had to do it xD.

Read any book of 200 pages or more

I'll read:

Then the Stars Fall by Brandon Witt

message 32: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments The Lost Island (Gideon Crew, #3) by Douglas Preston

Finished: 10-8-2014
Review:
I'm so prejudice when it comes to these books because these are my favorite authors, so I'll make the review quick! So there's a weird twist in this one, and I was a little unsure of it, but I still had a great time reading this book. Definitely great, but as I said, I am prejudice, :p

message 33: by Becca-Rawr (last edited Oct 31, 2014 10:30PM) (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Starting Space: Community Chest
Roll: 6+3-9
New Space: Atlantic Avenue

Read two books from the 2010 shelf.

I'll read...

The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan

And...

Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

Both on the shelf, :D

message 34: by Barbara (last edited Oct 09, 2014 12:28PM) (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Then the Stars Fall by Brandon Witt

Finished: 8/10/2014
Review:
I really enjoyed reading "Then the Stars Fall". One of the greatest strength of this story were its secondary characters and their feelings. I think it's my first m/m where others had their own chapters and played such a huge role in the plot.

message 35: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: Go
Roll: 5+6 = 11
New Space: St. Charles Place

It's yours, so I need to read two books from the e-book shelf.

I'll read:

Tough Love (Special Delivery, #3) by Heidi Cullinan

It was shelved as ebook (without an "s"), so I think it still counts.

And

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

message 36: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Tough Love (Special Delivery, #3) by Heidi Cullinan

Finished: 10/10/2014
Review:
"Tough Love' was a fast and easy read. But it was also so enjoyable. I liked both main characters and all of their friends. And I was sad to let them go.

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Finished: 28/10/2014
Review:
It was such a wonderful book! I loved the way in which the author gave the voice to both characters. Thanks to it, they became real and we could get to know them better. And all those descriptions about their feelings. "Eleanor & Park" was so beautifully written and I wish the author would write a continuation.

message 37: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: St. Charles Place
Roll: 5+6 = 10
New Space: Chance

Roll: 3+1 = 4

4. Get out of Jail Free

Nice one, but I still have to roll a dice to move forward with reading :).

message 38: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (dramaya) Starting Space: Chance
Roll: 6+1 = 7
New Space: Marvin Gardens

Two books from the Recommended shelf:

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead

Such ambitious books I'm going to read :D.

message 39: by Becca-Rawr (last edited Oct 31, 2014 10:28PM) (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3) by Rick Riordan

Finished: 10-30-2014
Review:
I really like these books, but I'm not overly invested in them. They're still a lot of fun, and I think this was my favorite in the series. The characters and plot both seem better developed, and it really hooked me so I can't wait to get my hands on the next book. It's like a delayed "falling in love" with a book."

message 40: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Leviathan (Leviathan, #1) by Scott Westerfeld

Finished: 11-15-2014
Review:
Oh my gosh, I loved this book! It was amazing, and my first Scott Westerfeld book. I fell in love with his writing immediately, and this story just made me fall in love with him. I'm not really familiar with steampunk, but the book was so well written that I fell in love with the world right away. And the story was so exciting! I can't wait to read the next on, :D

message 41: by Becca-Rawr (last edited Jan 03, 2015 01:17PM) (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Starting Space: Atlantic Avenue
Roll: 6 + 2 = 8
New Space: Pennsylvania Avenue

Read two books from the part of a series.

I'll read...

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer

Finished: 12-08-14
Review:
I first read this book when I had a bad cold, and I didn't remember any of it. So I decided to read it again before I went on with the series. This is a really good book. It's a retelling of the Cinderella fairytale, and has easily become one of my favorites. Although, it did end with a huge cliff-hanger, which was unexpected, so now I wish I had the next book on my shelves already...

and...

Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu

Finished: 12-08-14
Review:
Oh my goodness this was an amazing book. Without giving away spoilers, Day and June are two of the strongest characters I've read in a long time. Lu has a way of making the reader feel comfortable in the book, just before emotionally devastating them. She's really not afraid to be raw with her writing. I cannot wait to read the second book!

message 42: by Becca-Rawr (new)

Becca-Rawr (the_bec) | 454 comments Starting Space: Pennsylvania Avenue
Roll: 1 + 3 = 4
New Space: Jail

I can't believe this... Again?! xD

I didn't roll doubles this time. I'm going to roll twice tomorrow, and in the mean time look for a book with an arrest/jail time involved.