Book Haven discussion

Jackie Ley
This topic is about Jackie Ley
General > A fantastic fact about you

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Ley (goodreadscomjackie_ley) | 8 comments Just did a guest blog visit where I had to supply 5 fantastic facts about me. Wracked my brains and managed it. What are 5 fantastic facts about you? Doesn't have to be 5 - one would do.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (rosybookworm) | 11 comments It is not super fantastic but I like doing crafts a lot. Most of my drawings/crafts are based off of books that I have read.

message 3: by Ron (new)

Ron Scheer | 7 comments I think it's a bit of poetic justice that the teacher who failed me in typing 25 years ago just bought my book. (THE FORAGER)

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Ley (goodreadscomjackie_ley) | 8 comments Jackie wrote: "Just did a guest blog visit where I had to supply 5 fantastic facts about me. Wracked my brains and managed it. What are 5 fantastic facts about you? Doesn't have to be 5 - one would do."

Super fantastic, Jessica. All I can draw is stick people. And what a great way to record what you read.

message 5: by Jackie (last edited Jul 28, 2014 11:33PM) (new)

Jackie Ley (goodreadscomjackie_ley) | 8 comments Jackie wrote: "Jackie wrote: "Just did a guest blog visit where I had to supply 5 fantastic facts about me. Wracked my brains and managed it. What are 5 fantastic facts about you? Doesn't have to be 5 - one would..."

Jessica wrote: "It is not super fantastic but I like doing crafts a lot. Most of my drawings/crafts are based off of books that I have read."

message 6: by Terence (new)

Terence Park (archie_tp) | 8 comments I can visualise pretty well but my drawings are awful. ;-)

message 7: by Arushi (new)

Arushi (arushi1) | 21 comments Um...I have an elephantine memory. I can remember minor details about people that are good enough to freak them out lol

message 8: by Jim (last edited Aug 18, 2014 12:55PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 94 comments In my mind, my life experiences do not merit the adjective "fantastic"; however, I have had the good fortune to experience, first-hand, several radically varied life styles.

Seminarian (4 years) - U.S. Marine (Vietnam veteran) - Professional musician (8 years) - Management Career (H.J. Heinz Co. 33 years) - Happy Marriage (35 1/2 years plus 5 children) - Comfortably Retired at age 54 (13 years & counting) - Visited 43 states by car (7 to go) - Published Author (3 years).

As I said; maybe not fantastic, but extremely satisfying.

message 9: by Carla (new)

Carla Coon (carlacoon) | 14 comments Jim - I love your life experience!! I have two Recon Marine sons both Sgts now.
Okay, I'll give it a go, Jim-style.

Professional ballroom dance instructor, Married 28 years, Mother of 8 children, Nana of 3 & one on the way, Homeschool mom of 7 of the 8, One daughter is a Dominican Sister of Mary, Director of Religious Instruction (DRE), Non- Profit Coordinator, Editor/writer of nonfiction, Author of Fiction thriller.
Also very happy.

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 94 comments Carla wrote: "Jim - I love your life experience!! I have two Recon Marine sons both Sgts now.
Okay, I'll give it a go, Jim-style.

Professional ballroom dance instructor, Married 28 years, Mother of 8 children,..."

Carla,

Very impressive.
Please, pass on my regards and admiration to your two Marine sons. Reconnaissance-In-Force Marines are among the elite of the elite.

I was just a regular grunt during my stint, and had my hands full just trying to do that job well.

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire Fullerton (clairefullerton) | 15 comments As a Scots-Irish American, I decided I didn't want to visit the west coast of Ireland as much as I wanted to live there as a local. I took a trip to Galway where serendipitous events afforded me the chance to stay a year. I worked in the Irish music business in Galway yet lived in a rural village called Inverin in the Irish speaking area called the Gaeltech. It was fantastic at every turn!

message 12: by Ana (new)

Ana César | 2 comments I collect all types of quotes.

message 13: by William (new)

William Stuart (thegemstonechronicles) | 10 comments I have been to both geographic and magnetic North Poles (the perks of being a submarine sailor)

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Sep 01, 2014 02:51AM) (new)

Sarah Downing | 31 comments I practice Traditional English Martial Arts, which includes fighting with sword, sword and dagger, sword and buckler, Cornish wrestling, pugilism (akin to bare knuckle fighting) great stick, quarterstaff and shin kicking.

message 15: by Jim (last edited Sep 09, 2014 06:54PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 94 comments William wrote: "I have been to both geographic and magnetic North Poles (the perks of being a submarine sailor)"

William,
Quite a unique accomplishment. Just being a part of the Silent Service is an honor and privilege few can claim; let alone having been to both Poles.
Congratulations! Thank you for your service.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie Drucker (softkittykeeper) | 5 comments I don't know if this fact would be considered fantastic or more strange, but I love to color. I buy color books from Dover Publishing and am surprised how many adults still like to color ,like me. I find it relaxing and a great way to fill time when I have to take a reading break because my eyes just can't focus on words any longer.

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie Drucker (softkittykeeper) | 5 comments People are so amazing! Some of you have some fantastic facts about you, I am just your average bibliophile.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 21 comments I can type as fast as you can talk. Worked as a paralegal for 30 years and it's like breathing.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) | 26 comments I'll try to list 5 :)

I play the Pan flute and have played in a Jethro Tull tribute band.

Two of my short stories were published in a local anthology last year.

In college, I worked as a counselor for LGBT youth.

I have a burn scar on my right thigh from running into my mom's home which had caught fire due to faulty wiring to save her cat.

I once won a karaoke competition by singing Glenn Yarbrough's "Baby, the Rain Must Fall" (I do a dead on impression of his singing voice)

Might not be the most exciting, but there you have it :)

message 20: by Groovy (last edited Oct 11, 2014 04:52PM) (new)

Groovy Lee I'm not so fantastic other than to say I love to write. I have such a vivid imagination that I could write forever.

Buuut, a few fantastic things have happened to me. Only a few people know this, and you probably won't believe me, but we were at a meeting one night and the 80's Michael Jackson walked in. He stared at me the entire time.

I'm really not bragging people, but how many common folks like me has a story like that to tell? Michael Jackson--attracted to me?

And that's why only the people who were there knows this--I don't think anyone else would believe me :0)

Oh, and I saw something strange in the night sky three months ago. I'm not saying UFO, but I couldn't identify it.

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 21 comments I worked for two multi-millionaires for years. Wow, could they spend the cash!

message 22: by Kajal (new)

Kajal I'm a state shooter : pistols, rifles, air pistols and air rifles :)

message 23: by Richard (new)

Richard (jokerjackdaniels) | 3 comments I had to write a two page autobiography about myself. I was truly shocked by how much of my past I remembered

message 24: by Nahnita (new)

Nahnita I'm not sure this list counts as fantastic but here it is :

I can drive 8 different peices of power equipment.

I always loved reading, but didn't get into reading Fantasy until I was around 12. My big brother bought me a book with a unicorn on the cover that he thought I would like. It was "Ariel" by Steven R. Boyett. It was totally inappropriate for someone my age and I loved it. I've been reading Fantasy ever since.

I have never been pulled over, gotten a ticket, or been in a car accident.

I have a Siberian husky named Wolfgang Amadeus and a Shepard/malamute mix named Cornelius Hugo. If you ever want to see my Apache temper come out... mess with my dogs. I will lose my mind.

I taught myself to read and write Spanish when I moved to Texas at the age of 21. No one else out of my 52 first cousins speaks Spanish. Just me. :)

Ok. thats it! whose next?

message 25: by E.A. (new)

E.A. | 3 comments Before I turned 23 I had been to 13 different countries, at 27 I'm up to 17

message 26: by Artsygal402 (new)

Artsygal402 | 1 comments I'm still young and have yet to do anything "fantastic."

So far, this is the closest I've come:

I have won two school spelling bees and went to regionals both times.

I've won a couple art awards(at school, but still, it means I have potential, I guess).

I got an honorable mention in a couple art contests outside of school. One was a painting of the gates of heaven, the other was a sidewalk chalk drawing depicting the hunger games symbol and two bows and arrows with the title above.

I always do my best to accept everyone as they are and try to not offend anyone. I believe in equal rights and equal treatment for everyone.

I love to sing, read, write, and draw, and I think that I am pretty good at those things.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 20 comments Julie wrote: "I don't know if this fact would be considered fantastic or more strange, but I love to color. I buy color books from Dover Publishing and am surprised how many adults still like to color ,like me. ..."
I think colours are such an important part of our world. I can watch the same films over and over again, just because of the colours in them. One of my favourite's is Dan Snow sailing down the Grand Canyon. I love the pink and blues.

message 28: by L. (new)

L. Gibbs (ldgibbs) What a great way to look at your life in a positive way!

Married 33 years (same man), named teacher of the year twice in my district, published five indie books, building a three bedroom house from scratch (with my husband Mr. Perfectionist), and raising a kind, respectful teenager.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Only 5? I'll give you 50!!

message 30: by Carol (new)

Carol Dobson | 20 comments Nearly 42 years married. Two children and two grandchildren. For me, relationships are the most important thing in the world.

message 31: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee Here, here, Carol and L. :)

Since we're on that subject of fantastic families, I have a daughter who's also my best friend. sweetest thing you ever want to meet. When I look at her, I know I did one thing right in this world.

And like L, I just moved into my dream home made from scratch and loving it. No grandkids but that's okay, I'm still too young :)

message 32: by MW (new)

MW Kennard | 6 comments I found a woman twenty-five years ago who loves me as I am.

message 33: by Gerald (new)

Gerald Freeman (gerryaldridge) | 7 comments If you are torn between 2 passions, this article is for you.
http://geraldfreeman.blogspot.pt/2014...
Gerald Freeman

message 34: by Galaxy Press (new)

Galaxy Press (goodreadscomgalaxypress) | 9 comments In high school I managed to be an award-winning Irish dancer, fencer, drummer and built my own 10 in. dobsonian telescope.

♥,
Cat at Galaxy Press

message 35: by Kiya (new)

Kiya | 3 comments Hmm...I read TFIOS in 4 days?

message 36: by Jim (last edited Jan 22, 2015 01:27PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 94 comments This might be better defined as odd, rather than fantastic.

I am probably one of the few, if not the only, Goodreads member who wrote a novel (3 1/2 years ago) and have absolutely no desire at all to ever write another book. It provided a great learning experience and the quarterly sales reports and royalty checks are appreciated, but there are just too many other things to do, people to meet, and places to visit.