Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies of the Month > District 9

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments Just saw a midnight screening of District 9.
I despise film reviews that regurgitate the plot and
essentially spoil it for anyone that might be interested in seeing it.
So I wont do that here. I will say
this is undeniably a modern classic of the genre. A challenging film both politically and morally. Director Neil Blomkamp has proven himself to be one of the most unique and visionary filmmakers to emerge in years. A thoroughly thought provoking and exciting piece of cinema.
To put it simply this film is a work of genius.
SEE DISTRICT 9!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PDlM...

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments nice, cesar. i also really enjoyed it. it is one of those rare films that are as thought provoking as they are entertaining. if the film has flaws, i was too busy laughing to notice them.

message 3: by Servius Heiner (last edited Aug 17, 2009 08:55AM) (new)

Servius  Heiner  | 80 comments Apparently we were watching two separate movies...
***possible spoiler***
District 9: Awesome concept, terrible execution.

Terrible execution:
There are holes large enough to hide the twin towers in.
Apparently these 'prawns' have been here for 20 years. We can understand them and they can understand us, and yet we know nothing about them even though there was no segregation (at first).

Why were they here? Why was their ship apparently 'broken down' over Johannesburg but then later had no problem flying off to home.- they were scavaging for "alien" techs earth side to get a "fluid" to power their ship... but why would their tech be earth side?

They used the stupid Blair Witch and Cloverfield camera work which= headache.

Awesome: Well not really; it was an outstanding concept but they wrecked it with such a flair that nothing can be salvaged from it. This should be a lesson when the previews are elusive, it means the movie sucks and the producers know it, they just need to sucker enough people in opening weekend to pay for the Spruce Goose.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I was FORCED into seeing this movie and I bitched about it the whole way there, but I actually liked it! I didn't know it was going to be funny and the gore was nice.

When the dude's fingernails came off everyone in the theater groaned, it was so funny.

I have some problems with it that maybe someone can help me out with?

Spoilers:

Like Servius, I don't get the whole "We-can't-drive-it-oh-wait-yes-we-can" out of fuel thing.

If the aliens had weapons that can turn people into Koolaid why would they sell them for cat food? Before I even discovered I liked cat food I would use said weapons to just blow as many people up as possible and get out of the camp.

Why was that ONE alien the only one with sense? Was he the captian or something? Why hadn't he talked to anyone when they landed? "Hey, we just ran out of gas. Give me a second to find the fuel and we'll be out of your hair."

Smart Alien also didn't care much about seeing his peers or buddy get shot down in cold blood but seeing them be used as lab rats somehow got to him? Where is the line?

Were there any lady aliens?

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments I think they were all women. (the aliens)
:)

Servius  Heiner  | 80 comments If they had sold it as a comedy, I could accept stupid; but it was too stupid... like a tom green movie.

Daddy would you like a sausage

sausages sausages sausages
sausages sausages sausages

See I don't care how you sell that, not funny, stupid.

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments luckily, different strokes for different folks seem to apply here.

message 8: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Phillip wrote: "I think they were all women. (the aliens)
:)"

Then it's still sexist!

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments of course!

message 10: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments The aliens in District 9 seemed to be working class. Not necessarily leaders of their culture, but those who were use to taking orders. Hence they stayed in their ship for such a long time when they became stranded until physically extracted by humans. The documentary style aesthetic of the film is a character unto itself, and so much more effectively utilized than any mainstream Hollywood film has ever employed.

Some back story would have been nice, but the manner in which the story and the way it was told, it really wasn't really necessary. we are given enough information , quite ingeniously I might add, through the documentary style to enjoy the present situation.

The aliens in this film had a genuine humanity and depth to them that I cannot recall in a film for some time.

Why didn't they use their technology to blasts away humans?
Because they weren't on a mission of conquests. They were simply stranded, and trying to simply get along and make the best of a miserable situation.
These particular aliens were not leaders.

Obviously alien technology was taken out of the ship if all those weapons and suits were on earth. Other things made their way out as well, like the black fluid.

Neil Blomkamp is a brilliant director, Those who fail to recognize that are really just missing the ball. AUdiences and critics are loving this film.
This is a rare case, am epic film by an individual, not a committee in Hollywood, although perhaps some of you might prefer that.

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments I was told by a friend of a friend that Distric 9 was originally planned as the movie version of the game Halo. Does anyone know if there is any credit to this rumor?

message 12: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments District 9 and Halo are two separate films from the same director,
Neil Blomkamp. Originally, Blomkamp was going to make the halo film, of which there is footage shot and online, here is a link for some of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUcreY...

The Halo film fell through, so Peter Jackson encouraged director Neil Blomkamp to do an original project that he would finance. That became DIstrict 9.
District 9 is based on a short film from the director entitled
"Alive in Joburg"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYBpl...

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments Oh thank you so much. My nephew wanted to see the film version of Halo so bad. And I was slightly confused.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments I didn't have any issues with how this film was made ... the plot "holes" described here were plausible in my book - I've found myself asking the same questions about the same sorts of historic events ... and so I find myself agreeing with Cesar & Phillip on most things ...

I am curious Phillip - why do you think they were all women?

and so in terms of the craft of this movie - I liked it's originality, the style, script ... I struggled with being able to stand back far enough from the racism (and sexism if Phillip's theory is right) to be lighthearted about it as I think it was meant to be viewed ...

I've been thinking about this reaction for a few hours now - having only seen this today ... and I can't put my finger on it ... the closest I can get to is the visual representation of the township is pretty bloody accurate & it brought back the emotional response I had to seeing these awful places for real when I visited South Africa ... there are a good portion of the population that live like this ...

anyway - I've put it down to really good story telling and am just accepting it as my personal response ...

message 15: by Phillip (last edited Aug 23, 2009 06:16PM) (new)

Phillip | 10494 comments dear sam,

my comment on the gender identity of the aliens was made in jest....i never really considered gender while viewing this movie. i think it's irrelevant what gender the aliens are.....the treatment of these beings was inhumane...what difference does their gender matter? is it any more humane to dehumanize or torture a man rather than a woman?

your point about the townships is well taken. while the film is wildly entertaining it is also (obviously, i would think) making a point about racism and how we are able to alienate, humiliate and dehumanize the "other"....and this subtext not only exists in the treatment of the aliens, but in the way the local society scapegoats the central human character (i forget his name), a well crafted anti-hero if there ever was...

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Phillip wrote: "is it any more humane to dehumanize or torture a man rather than a woman?"

Yes.

But we would really take a poll on this...

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments thanks for clarifying pg ... i agree & can see all of that - like I said I think I'm having a personal individual reaction ... was just curIous :o)

message 18: by George (last edited Aug 24, 2009 01:28AM) (new)

George | 951 comments well, since these aliens have hard exoskeletons and apparently we are primarily looking at some sort of worker example of the species, I suppose people are thinking of them like ants or bees. of course they aren't ants or bees and until someone comes up with some way to identify this species sexually by some visual aspect, how would we know? And Wikus is accused of having sex with the aliens, presumably not homosexual sex, if that's possible, but I think the authorities would have mentioned it to make him look even worse, so maybe they are all female of some sort. then again, we don't really know much about their reproductive habits. we know bees do it, and even educated fleas do it, etc, but we don't really know if prawns do it, or are limited to two sexual roles. but the lead prawn is refered to as the father of the little kid. so, at least he is identified as male.

If these are worker prawns, then perhaps Pops is going to return with the warrior element of the species, lobsters maybe. He certainly seemed angry enough to kick ass and take names when he returns in 3 years. but the main prawn element in the movie wasn't exactly doing well on the ship on their own either. mostly waiting for someone to tell them what to do I suppose. so their delapidated state after 20 years on Earth doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me or the fact that we never saw a Prawn Spartacus uprising.

I was wondering why no one seemed to care about that damned big ship hovering over their city, like it was just some sort of permanent fixture and would never go on the fritz and fall down. but that's just me, I'm always a worrier.

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments George wrote: "...we know bees do it, and even educated fleas do it, etc, but we don't really know if prawns do it..."

oh George - that is so very funny

PS ... i can't believe i've only just thought of this - but they are bloody lucky they didn't stall over Australia somewhere ... we "throw prawns on the barbie" here ...

message 20: by George (new)

George | 951 comments ah, shucks. In any case, yes, had they landed in Oz it could have led to intergalatic war. or perhaps they would have taken up those weapons a bit sooner.

message 21: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Sam wrote: ""throw prawns on the barbie" "

HA!

message 22: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta I finally saw this movie last night. I went out of my way to no nothing about the movie. Nothing. I had to wait for it through the library and finally got it weekend.

LOVED IT!

**spoilers below**

At first, my thoughts were "what???". Then they progressed to "this is pretty funny". But, by the end of the film I wasn't chuckling at all. My emotional investment was total; I was angry at the aliens' mistreatment (yes, saw the clear parallel to how humans treat each other in some places/times) and cheering for their future rescue.

Comment on the previous posts:

I thought the aliens were possibly hermaphrodites or even some sort of self reproducers (like natural cloning). That might also explain why there is only one parent in the house. I think "father" was used simply because (if you pretend it is a real documentary) a choice had to be made on how to translate the parental title.