The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Love Letters to the Dead
This topic is about Love Letters to the Dead
Group Read Archive 2014-16 > YA Group Read (August 2014) - Love Letters To the Dead, by Ava Dellaira

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Love Letters to the Dead was the winner of our YA Group Read poll. Book discussion can begin on August 1st.

Kassandra | -1 comments I'm really excited for this one!

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments I work with adolescents so I thought that reading more YA might be quite helpful in my job. That's why I decided to read this one. It was an interesting premise & I really loved Laurel. I read some reviews that said they felt a teenager wouldn't write so eloquently but I have to disagree with that. I really enjoyed this to my surprise & gave it 4*.

Kassandra | -1 comments Natalie, I'm glad you liked it! I'm about halfway through and have found Laurel really endearing thus far. Has this particular read been helpful for your job?

Natalie Moore (nataliemoore) | 39 comments Hi Kassandra! I work in mental health so this is particularly useful for teenagers who have experienced some sort of bereavement. It shows that's it's ok to be upset, it's ok to be angry but ultimately it is ok to move on. So it's a book I would definitely recommend to anyone who has experienced that sort of loss.

Kassandra | -1 comments That's great Natalie! I'm glad that it's useful not only for pleasure reading but also for guidance with youth.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Kassandra wrote: "Natalie, I'm glad you liked it! I'm about halfway through and have found Laurel really endearing thus far. Has this particular read been helpful for your job?"

Kassandra, I'm about halfway through and agree on your Laurel's endearing quality. I wish anyone who had anything to do with teenagers would read this, because you just do not know what each youngster is dealing with in their own reality. Of course, Laurel is carrying around a huge burden, but I think that most teens are coming to grips on who they are outside of their family and friends; learning to define themselves as an individual.

Kassandra | -1 comments I agree Melissa. Every teen spends such energy on developing an identity that is independent of his or her family and that often leads to a roller coaster ride of emotions. I think Laurel's experience is valuable to help all teens, not just those going through such a deep loss.

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments I think Ava Dellaira does a great job developing a well rounded believable character and characters. You know where they are coming from, you feel their hurt and why they stuff their emotions and yet you like them and want to root for their well being. I wish I could put this better, but I think this whole story is developed very well.

Lauren | 85 comments Downloaded this this morning and have done precisely nothing while I read right through it... I really enjoyed it, agree with what other people have said with the relatable characters.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Love Letters to the Dead (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ava Dellaira (other topics)