You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > August 2014 - Is It Any Wonder?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 162 (162 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:31PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments This month, we're going to go exploring! Read a book with a setting that takes place at or near one of the new 7 wonders of the world:

Great Wall of China, China
Petra, Jordan
Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
Macho Picchu, Peru
Chichen Itza, Mexico
Colossuem, Italy
Taj Mahal, India
Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt (honorary site)

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format - paperback, ebook, audiobook.
2. The book may be in any genre.
3. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Chunkster Challenge.
4. The book must be read between August 1 to August 31 (based on your own time zone).
5. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
6. The book must be 150 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

Scoring: (Count all qualifiers that apply)

Genre:
5 points – Historical Fiction
4 points – Mystery
3 points – Memoir/Biography
2 points – Science Fiction
1 point – Romance

Author:
5 points - Born or resides in the main setting of the book.
4 points – Initial of last name is W O N D E or R.
3 points – Is deceased.
2 points – Is female.
1 point – Is new to you.

Title:
5 points – Is two words long. (Sub-titles don't count.)
4 points – Has the proper name of a person or place in it. (Specify if not obvious.)
3 points – Is a play on words.
2 points – Have two or more words starting with the same letter (exclude a, the, but, or, etc.)
1 point – Starts with the word "The"

Cover: (based on the edition you read)
5 points – Has a picture of the Seventh Wonder on it.
4 points – Has a sun, moon, or stars on it.
3 points – Author's name is larger than title.
2 points – Has just words on it.
1 point – Blue is a predominant colour (over 50% of the cover).

Setting:
7 points - Set in Jordan
6 points - Set in Peru
5 points - Set in Italy
4 points - Set in Brazil
3 points - Set in India
2 points - Set in Mexico
1 point - Set in China

Pages:
5 pts - 600 - 1000 pages
4 pts - 500 - 599 pages
3 pts - 400 - 499 pages
2 pts - 300 - 399 pages
1 pts - 200 - 299 pages

Bonus points:

3 points - If the book mentions the Seventh Wonder and not just set in the country of the Seventh Wonder.
3 points - For International Beer Day, add 3 points if there is a drunkard in the story (may only count once)
3 points - For Bad Poetry Day, add 3 points if there is a poem in the book (may only count once, and must be quoted)
3 points - Pony Express Day, add 3 points if there is a live horse in the book (may only count once)

message 2: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3503 comments Ooh. Sounds exciting. Time to gopher!

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14424 comments Fun! Such a creative challenge :D

Just to clarify: what qualifies as 'near'? Is it a certain distance from the wonder or is it enough for the book to be set in the same country?

message 4: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 2980 comments No gophering involved this time. I knew right away which book I'll read. I picked it up free on Amazon early last year. It's Midnight at the Taj Mahal.

Of course, a lady can always change her mind, right?

message 5: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I need clarification on the bonus points, are they:

3 points or 5 points For International Beer Day, if there is a drunkard in the story (may only count once)
3 points or 4 points For Bad Poetry Day, if there is a poem in the book (may only count once, and must be quoted)

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jul 27, 2014 08:28AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14424 comments My question also applies to the author points by the way. If my book is set in Mexico and the author is also from Mexico, is that enough?

I think I'll read Like Water for Chocolate if it fits the criteria :)

message 7: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3414 comments I'm thinking Roma

message 8: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Roz wrote: "I'm thinking Roma"
OH! SAYLOR STEVEN is very good

message 9: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I´m thinking of The Forgotten Legion or Unholy Night

message 10: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3414 comments I had Roma on my chunkster list but switched it out before I got into it. I think I read a page or 2 and put it down. It's time.

message 11: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments I think the serie "Roma sub Rosa" is the best from him; I liked especially A Murder on the Appian Way
Other author in the same genre and style that is very good is John Maddox Roberts SPQR I: The King's Gambit is a must.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments Peggy wrote: "Fun! Such a creative challenge :D

Just to clarify: what qualifies as 'near'? Is it a certain distance from the wonder or is it enough for the book to be set in the same country?"

Let's go with same country to coincide with the Setting points.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments Mariab wrote: "I need clarification on the bonus points, are they:

3 points or 5 points For International Beer Day, if there is a drunkard in the story (may only count once)
3 points or 4 points For Bad Poetry D..."

I have editted the original post to show 3 points for all bonus points. That's what happens when I do things first thing in the morning when I haven't had a cup of coffee yet.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments Peggy wrote: "My question also applies to the author points by the way. If my book is set in Mexico and the author is also from Mexico, is that enough?

I think I'll read Like Water for Chocolate if ..."

That's what I was striving for.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments What a fun challenge! I am off to gopher my shelves.

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14424 comments Thanks for the clarifications Janice :)

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18055 comments Sounds great. I might also be able to tick another country off my around the world challenge too! Off to check out what books I own that will fit.

message 18: by jaxnsmom (last edited Jul 27, 2014 11:03AM) (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments OMG Janice, how could you?!?! It's a #$&%@ song title and now I've got it running through my brain. Well, maybe not the title, but the effect is the same. At least it's better than Animal Crackers...☺ I can't believe the hair and jumpsuits, at least I didn't have a jumpsuit then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XcKBm...

message 19: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments I think I've picked one. Honor Lost: Love And Death In Modern Day Jordan.

Janice, for two word title, do subtitles count? I don't think they do, but earworms are distracting me :)

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Here's a website that is helpful:

http://bookssetin.com/

message 21: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5994 comments Funny "stairway to heaven" by Led Zeppelin was what popped into my head even though their lyric is "it makes me wonder"

message 22: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2613 comments I'm leaning toward Death on Tour. Another possibility is to reread Crocodile on the Sandbank. I read it over twenty years ago and remember liking it a lot then. It is the first book in the Amelia Peabody series.

message 23: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2767 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Here's a website that is helpful:

http://bookssetin.com/"

Get out! That website makes me feel like we are cheating!!

message 24: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18055 comments Here's another one I use: Trip Fiction

message 25: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Great challenge! Time to look for something that fits...!

message 26: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3503 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I think I've picked one. Honor Lost: Love And Death In Modern Day Jordan.

Janice, for two word title, do subtitles count? I don't think they do, but earworms are distracting me :)"

I found that one too, Jmom!

message 27: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18055 comments I want to read a book that I own to knock it off my TBR instead of finding something else (although I have just added a number of books to my wishlist while gophering for this challenge). Possibles for me:
- Inferno - set in Italy
- The Girl in the Road - set in India
- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - set in China
- Appointment with Death - set in Jordan

Inferno has been on my kindle the longest. Snow Flower... would also qualify for another challenge I'm doing in another group.

message 28: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments This one really is a challenge for me. Especially because my husband wants me to read about Chichen Itza.

message 29: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3503 comments I am thinking of-
Honor Lost: Love And Death In Modern Day Jordan (Jordan)
Bel Canto (Does this work for Peru? Not Sure)
The English Patient (Italy)
The Glassblower of Murano (Italy) - I see you have read this one, Janice. Intrigued.
Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi - Does this book score for two places?
Last Train From Liguria (Italy)
The Art of Falling (Italy)

message 30: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Lara wrote: "This one really is a challenge for me. Especially because my husband wants me to read about Chichen Itza."

So is he going to find books for you? He should join the group and read it with you.

message 31: by Travis (new)

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Jannene wrote: "jaxnsmom wrote: "Here's a website that is helpful:

http://bookssetin.com/"

Get out! That website makes me feel like we are cheating!!"

Wait until you're in too many challenges based on location :) Then you'll take any help you can get.

message 33: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2767 comments I'm going to read Petra: City of Stone by T.L. Higley.

message 34: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8253 comments Pragya wrote: "I found that one too, Jmom!"

Doesn't it sound really good? I can't wait!

message 35: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Lara wrote: "This one really is a challenge for me. Especially because my husband wants me to read about Chichen Itza."

So is he going to find books for you? He should join the group and read it ..."

Well, he mentioned one, but I think he read it in Polish. I couldn't find it easily, anyway.

message 36: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 1282 comments Yay, I can do this after I move to Illinois =)
Mexico: a new author to me and has Horror, Mystery, and Sci-Fi as top genres, Mmmmm

The Ruins by Scott B. Smith by Scott B. Smith

I wanted to use another book, but I need it for Chunkster Challenge.

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "OMG Janice, how could you?!?! It's a #$&%@ song title and now I've got it running through my brain. Well, maybe not the title, but the effect is the same. At least it's better than Animal Cracke..."

It wasn't intentional. LOL! But, I have to admit that the lyrcs to David Bowie's Fame were running through my head as I posted it. As usual, you and I are in sync. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oVf...

(It's almost at the end of the song when he belts out "Is it any wonder?")

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "I think I've picked one. Honor Lost: Love And Death In Modern Day Jordan.

Janice, for two word title, do subtitles count? I don't think they do, but earworms are distracting me :)"

Sub-titles don't count. I allowed them for my last challenge because we needed to broaden the scope for allowable words.

Note to self. Stop planning/posting first thing in the morning without coffee!

I just noticed that I neglected to change the Title requirements for this challenge. It is exactly as the June challenge. I always copy, paste and edit. I wonder how many more mistakes I've made.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jul 27, 2014 06:41PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments Pragya wrote: "I am thinking of-
The English Patient (Italy)
[book:The..."

Bel Canto is set some unknown place in South America, so we canto accept it. Sorry.

Jeff in Venice would count for only for one country - the one that is more dominant.

Glass Blower of Murano was so-so. It was a fast easy read.

message 40: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Here a couple of suggestions:

El conquistador for México (which is a very good book). I think there is a version in English
The Anatomist for Italy (also Andahazi, an even better book), there is a English version for sure
Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands for Brazil (wich is also very good)
For the fans of horror/vampire books, Anne Rice has many books wichcould fit the task (México, Egypt)

message 41: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3503 comments Janice wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I am thinking of-

Got it, Janice. Thought so. Thanks.

message 42: by Thing Two (last edited Jul 29, 2014 02:51AM) (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) Oh, thank goodness you're accepting country! I've spent the past three hours looking for books actually set at these 7 wonders, and besides travel and info books, I've come up pretty short.

If it's just country, I'll select:

Mistress Of Nothing (Egypt) or
The Bridge of San Luis Rey (Peru) or
Enrique's Journey (Mexico)

message 43: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19365 comments I bought a book for this challenge at the library yesterday. The setting is in India, but I cannot remember what the title is. It called to me and I gave up my $4.00. I hope it is a good story.

message 44: by Jannene (new)

Jannene | 2767 comments Cherie wrote: "I bought a book for this challenge at the library yesterday. The setting is in India, but I cannot remember what the title is. It called to me and I gave up my $4.00. I hope it is a good story."

If not, you still helped out the library. :)

message 45: by Thing Two (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) Janice wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I am thinking of-

Bel Canto is set some unknown place in South America, so we canto accept it. Sorry..."

Bel Canto is based on the 1996 Japanese empasy hostage crisis in Peru.

message 46: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I loved Bel Canto.

message 47: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'll be joining in with Inés of My Soul. Looking forward to this. Great challenge!

message 48: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14424 comments I always love the challenges. I've been here for a year now, but still I'm checking and checking this section after the 20th of each month to see if the new challenge has been posted :D

message 49: by Debra (last edited Jul 29, 2014 05:44AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I've got mine picked out and ordered. Rubbing my hands gleefully...

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 46314 comments Okay - then Bel Canto will work for Peru.

« previous 1 3 4