YA LGBT Books discussion

Old story Challenge nominations > August 2014 Story Prompts - GO VOTE thru Aug 5

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Aug 02, 2014 08:50PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Hot summer days ( or cold nights Down Under) need some good fiction to get us through. We're looking for pictures to inspire our members to write YA LGBT stories.

Post anything that you feel will inspire a story; just two rules - Please post NO MORE THAN THREE pics per member and keep them YA appropriate, please!

Nominations will close midnight July 30th, or when we have a max of twelve pictures posted.

Poll posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting through midnight Aug. 5th

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments

message 3: by Didi (last edited Jul 26, 2014 11:32PM) (new)

Didi (dtorini) | 6 comments description

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

How do you add a photo to this thread...?

message 5: by Kaje (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:30AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Rayvin wrote: "How do you add a photo to this thread...?"

What you need to do is copy and use this html code:

<**img src="http://www.goodreads.com/image..." width="400"/>

The picture has to be online somewhere (you can upload to your own GR home page too.)
Put the "copy image location" url where it says "http... " between the quote marks, and take out the ** which I inserted so the code would show up for you. You can adjust the width - 400 is the maximum for Goodreads but you can make it smaller. The height will adjust to match.

In general there are html codes for you under the (some html is ok) link upper right of each comment box. That image code has slots for width, height and description, but you don't need all those fields. Good luck.

message 6: by Kaje (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:31AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments OMG Didi, so cute. A baby brother maybe... Or embarrassing childhood photos event... or babysitting...

message 7: by Jay (last edited Jul 27, 2014 07:51AM) (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Rayvin wrote: "How do you add a photo to this thread...?"

Click on some html is ok, then copy and past the formula for an image.

Find an image on the internet and click on it to make it full page, so that its own, individual URL comes up.

Copy the URL and paste it over this part of the formula but between the quotation marks. It is easier to leave the ellipses in and take them out after you copy and paste the image URL

"http://www.goodreads.com/image..."

Then eliminate the ellipses (...) so that your photo URL is between the quotation marks after src=

Change the width from 40 to 400. I normally get rid of the height limit because the photo will keep original dimensions if I limit only its width. 400 pixels is the max width on Goodreads.

If you find an image on Tumblr, use tumview.com to turn any Tumblir image into one with a usable, individual URL. You just put the name of the tumblr site into the field provided and all of that tumblr's photos load for you to select the one you want.

Flickr and BlogSpot have similar conversion sites, but I am not sure what they are. Use a photo sharing site for photos that you have taken or are clearly public domain.

I hope that helps. It gets really easy once you get used to it.

message 8: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments My bad for duplicating what Kaje said.

message 9: by Didi (new)

Didi (dtorini) | 6 comments Kaje wrote: "OMG Didi, so cute. A baby brother maybe... Or embarrassing childhood photos event... or babysitting..."

I found this by accident really, they seem inseparable and cute together. :)

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Didi wrote: "Kaje wrote: "OMG Didi, so cute. A baby brother maybe... Or embarrassing childhood photos event... or babysitting..."

I found this by accident really, they seem inseparable and cute together. :)"

Your photo suggests to me a human/shifter story in which they grow up knowing about that difference only to find first love as young teens. But it could go in any direction as cute and unique as it is.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 27, 2014 08:11AM) (new)

message 12: by Kaje (last edited Jul 27, 2014 08:28AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Jay D. wrote: "Your photo suggests to me a human/shifter story in which they grow up knowing about that difference only to find first love as young teens. But it could go in any direction as cute and unique as it is. ..."

Oooh, Husky shifter...

message 13: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments Kaje wrote: "Oooh, Husky shifter... ..."

*puts on the hat of persnikitiness*

German Shepherd....
Just sayin' :)

message 14: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments

message 15: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments

message 16: by Kaje (last edited Jul 27, 2014 08:49AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments K wrote: "Kaje wrote: "Oooh, Husky shifter... ..."

*puts on the hat of persnikitiness*

German Shepherd....
Just sayin' :)"

I didn't even look back at the pic to check it - my bad.

message 17: by K (new)

K (k-polipetl) | 4090 comments LOL - nah, it's just me being really super picky about these things ;)

message 18: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Well, it irks me too when people get stuff like that wrong - I think I have a mental block against seeing a Shepherd in that cute picture because I've known too many unpredictably aggressive ones. Plus we have far more Huskies and Malamutes around here.

message 19: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments description

description

description

message 20: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Oh, lovely evocative pictures, Jay!! I like those even better as story prompts than the happy ones.

message 21: by Jay (last edited Jul 27, 2014 09:41AM) (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Kaje wrote: "Oh, lovely evocative pictures, Jay!! I like those even better as story prompts than the happy ones."

I went for a sense of angst and reassurance in each, along with "rural", "urban" and "aquatic". I am glad you noticed. Life is often bitter sweet, isn't it?

message 22: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Looks like we have some great ones - the poll will be posted soon.

message 23: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Kaje wrote: "Looks like we have some great ones - the poll will be posted soon."

Cool. I will still finish my story from last month, but time to write has been limited.

message 24: by Kaje (last edited Aug 01, 2014 07:09AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Mine too - I will get to doing one, but I'm neck-deep in edits. I look forward to yours, but am just as happy to wait ;)

message 25: by Jay (new)

Jay Clark (jaydclark) | 488 comments Kaje wrote: "Mine too - I will get to doing one, but I'm neck-deep in edits. I look forward to yours, but am just as happy to wait ;)"

The same thought back at you. I will be glad to read your story, as well. :D

message 26: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16356 comments Poll posted here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Voting through midnight Aug. 5th