What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Female Musician Protagonist

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nova (new)

Nova | 32 comments I would like to read more books featuring a female musician as the protagonist. Preferably rock musicians but other genres are fine. I have read Guitar Girl by Sara Manning and loved it.

message 2: by Pearl (last edited Jul 27, 2014 09:03AM) (new)

Pearl Liao | 42 comments Well, "If I Stay" by Gayle Foreman has Mia, a cellist as the main character and there's a bit of rock by her boyfriend's band but the music element is more of a side thing. "The Lost Boys" by Lillian Carmine is an amazing book; music and songwriting is a large part of it - it's also a paranormal romance and a bit idealistic, everyone being good looking, but it's a Wattpad published story. There's a bit of swearing and intimacy but yeah. I liked it. The sequel is a lot more musical (The Lost Girl).

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38171 comments Mod
Go to the "Guitar Girl" book page and on the upper right see "Readers Also Enjoyed." A glance at those suggests many are about teen girls who are musicians or seeking to become musicians or have musical families.

message 5: by Nova (new)

Nova | 32 comments Joseph wrote: "You might like Five Flavors of Dumb or Harmonic Feedback."

Both of those look great, thanks.

As for looking for suggestions on the guitar Girl page, I've done that and there are a couple there that meet my requirements but not many. I know there are more out there.

message 6: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments The Size 12 series by Meg Cabot has a former pop star as the protagonist, including lyrics to some of her songs, but the focus is more on the murder mystery than the music aspects.

Size 12 Is Not Fat

message 7: by Cady (new)

Cady | 2 comments Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly.

message 8: by Cady (new)

Cady | 2 comments The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney as well.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 179 comments If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch If You Find Me if I recall, play's the guitar.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1529 comments The Exes has a band with two female musicians, and Don't Sleep With Your Drummer has a female lead singer and a female guitarist if I remember correctly.

message 12: by Yue (new)

Yue | 136 comments If you don't mind manga, Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 1. She is a piano-genius.

message 13: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 389 comments Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman. YA fantasy.

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1088 comments Dragonsong and Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey (They're science fiction.) Also, Anne McCaffrey's Crystal Singer and its sequels, although the heroine's not exactly a musician. She does sing and use her other musical talents in her new career, though. It's also science fiction. Dragonsong Dragonsinger
Crystal Singer

message 15: by Scott (new)

Scott War for the Oaks by Emma Bull

message 16: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Mercedes Lackey's Bardic Voices series is fantasy/romance. Several of the books feature female musicians. The Lark and the Wren is the first book in the series.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

message 21: by Jen (new)

Jen | 10 comments Étude by Melinda Morgan