The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Your Opinions on Cover Art

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 6 comments Hullo everyone, I'm currently in the process of publishing to Amazon and I wanted to know your opinion on cover art. What do you like/dislike, what do you feel is cliche/overdone, etc...?

The reason I'm asking is because I want my cover art to have a particular style but I don't know how readers will react to it. The book would be Urban Fantasy and the style would be similar to this: http://blog.mangamagazine.net/wp-cont...

What do you think? If you saw a cover like this would it pique your interest of would you pass right by it?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) | 364 comments I like it, but it makes me think of anime, which I'm not a fan of, so I might not check it out because of that.

message 3: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 6 comments Thanks Jessica, I guess it is a little confusing. I'll try a more photo-realistic look then.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments The one thing I hate is when we have close ups of characters' faces. That's a nono, yet so many people do it. Allow the readers to create their own visions of the characters.
Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant has a hideous cover (although I really like the series).
The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) by Andrew Fukuda is a bad cover, but The Hunt (The Hunt, #1) by Andrew Fukuda is a better cover. (This is the same book.)
I like covers that have a unique and important symbol etched on it. Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth is a nice cover, and so is The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken .
Bold is generally good --> Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu .
Hope that helps.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments As for your cover I agree with Jessica in that it seems very Japanese-influenced.

message 6: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments I don't know what your story is about, but judging on picture alone, I personally love it. If I saw that sitting next to the standard YA covers(closeups of people, people dressed seemingly for a formal dance/dinner, symbols, etc.) I would definitely pick it up and give it a look.

message 7: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 6 comments Tommy wrote: "I don't know what your story is about, but judging on picture alone, I personally love it. If I saw that sitting next to the standard YA covers(closeups of people, people dressed seemingly for a fo..."

THANK YOU!! :D
But this isnt my book cover. It belongs to the artist who made it: Shilin. I was planning to contract him to do my book cover but unfortunately he no longer takes commissions, le sigh. I was more so asking if you saw this particular ART STYLE on a cover would it pique your interest, thanks again.

message 8: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 6 comments Daniel wrote: "The one thing I hate is when we have close ups of characters' faces. That's a nono, yet so many people do it. Allow the readers to create their own visions of the characters.
[bookcover:Gone|253613..."

I've heard many readers say exactly this. So I wanted to try something different? But I dont know if using an art style like this would confuse readers or not. It seems to appeal more to younger people, which isnt bad but I want readers of all age-ranges to click it and be intrigued.

message 9: by Tommy (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments Regulus wrote: "THANK YOU!! :D
But this isnt my book cover. It belongs to the artist who made it: Shilin. I was planning to contract him to do my book cover but unfortunately he no longer takes commissions, le sigh. I was more so asking if you saw this particular ART STYLE on a cover would it pique your interest, thanks again."

Oh. Whoops haha. Well, for what it's worth, I'd definitely look at it based on the style. I have a friend who does comic art. No clue if he's taking commissions at the moment, but I could check, if you'd like to get in touch and see if it's a fit.

message 10: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 6 comments Tommy wrote: "Regulus wrote: "THANK YOU!! :D
But this isnt my book cover. It belongs to the artist who made it: Shilin. I was planning to contract him to do my book cover but unfortunately he no longer takes com..."

Oh, wow, that would be great! If it's anything similar to the one I posted I would definitely be interested in hiring him.

message 11: by Tommy (last edited Jul 29, 2014 02:38AM) (new)

Tommy Hancock (tommyhancock) | 196 comments His style is different, less anime, but still very good. I'll get in touch with him sometime tomorrow and see if he's available, and if so, I'll get you his email or something. Then you can see the work and decide if it's a match.

message 12: by Ron (last edited Jul 31, 2014 07:14PM) (new)

Ron Scheer | 6 comments The Forager by Ron Scheer The Forager This is the cover to my book. I like how my cover artist portrayed my main character with his back to the reader so that the reader can assume whatever face he/she wants to put on him. She also incorporated several of the key aspects of my novel in the cover, i.e. the barn, and the laser sites.

message 13: by Emese (new)

Emese Toth (emeset) I definitely love that style! Just a question, what is your book called? Plot Line?

message 14: by Emese (new)

Emese Toth (emeset) I definitely love that style! Just a question, what is your book called? Plot Line?

message 15: by Regulus (new)

Regulus Aurum | 6 comments @Emily

It's not finished yet -- still in the editing stage. But it's called Soul & Shadow and it's YA/Fantasy. The general premise is the world succumbs to an apocalyptic event, in this case, a strange meteor shower, that endows certain people with magical powers. This leads to mayhem, riots, and bloodshed as people rise up with their new abilities to fight, for a cause or simply for the fun of it. Soon society falls into a rift of the haves and the have nots.

The last fragments of society are scattered throughout war torn lands as the government tries to remedy the situation. Those with powers are now outlaws and are to be killed on-sight.

The main character inherits a particularly unique power -- the ability to manipulate human souls. He isnt the stoic, infallible, ideal hero, he's pretty dark actually. He spends his days surviving in this kill or be killed world until he chances upon a young girl. For reasons he's not quite sure of he gives his life to her and protects her in this world.

A world filled with monster. Both literally and figuratively.